Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times

Advertisements

Of course it seems simple to you. That's what meant by "privilege." You have the privilege of simplicity; not everyone shares that.
I know I'm not going to convince you of the existence of privilege, or the importance of extending rights to those who haven't shared your advantages. So I'll step out of this discussion now. Return to your cave.

Thank you for stepping out of the discussion. I appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:46 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
It is a sad state of affairs in our country that this is even an issue.....I do not understand how we even have to discuss whether or not men should be allowed in women's restrooms. I don't care how you identify...if you were born a man, regardless of how you feel, identify, or what you wish you were....it does not matter...you are still a man...use the bathroom as a man, or don't leave your house and expect a public to cater to your issues...because it is YOU who has the issues, not the other 99.99% of people.

Im really sick and tired of each tiny minority thinking that the ultra majority needs to change THEIR lives to accommodate your feelings....The line is drawn when your ultra-minority lifestyle begins to infringe on the way the ultra majority lives. Your issue is not my issue, and darn well should not be.
Well said!

But it's the majority that doesn't get Houston-nomad's point... We should cater to the minority, hence we're labeled as heartless.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:15 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
If things went the left's way, what would be the point of having segregated bathrooms at all? This is a serious question. Rather than make a whole bunch of exceptions for infinitesimal fractions of the population, wouldn't the more logical thing be to simply make all restrooms genderless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Was this creeper NOT going to creep before the law? The law does not allow illegal predatory behavior; it was illegal before and it's illegal now.
Makes it a hell of a lot easier to creep.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
But the provision was removed from the bill before it even came up for a vote and the actual clause never eliminated gender based bathrooms.

https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-ho...strooms.t3754/

Quote:
Secondly, the clause never eliminated gender based restrooms. The actual clause was:

Content from external source

b) It shall be unlawful for any place of public accommodation or any employee or agent thereof to intentionally deny any person entry to any restroom, shower room, or similar facility if that facility is consistent with and appropriate to that person’s expression of gender identity. It shall be a defense to prosecution for discrimination on the basis of gender identity under this article, however, if the defendant had a good faith belief that the gender or gender identity of the person discriminated against was not consistent with the gender designation of the facility. For purposes of this section, a defendant has a good faith belief if the manner in which the person represented or expressed gender to others (e.g. behavior, clothing, hairstyles, activities, voice or mannerisms) is not consistent with the gender designation of the facility the person attempted to access. Nothing in this section shall require construction of a new bathroom, shower room, or similar facility.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Are you a doctor of psychiatry?

I love the way everyone thinks their ignorant "opinion" is truth enough, while the rest of the world must simply be wrong.
World class hypocrite. You are the one who called my opinion ignorant and heartless.

You are simply wrong in failing to acknowledge the 99% have some privacy rights and saying that people are ignorant for not thinking all the rest should suffer for the 1%. That's the ignorance.

It doesn't take a psychiatrist to figure out that someone who feels uncomfortable with their body being what it is has psychological issues. In fact, you stated it yourself.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:35 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Problem: One kid has a peanut allergy-gets hives like symptoms from eating peanut products...PC Solution: No kids can have a PBJ sandwich for lunch anymore.

How about common sense, like if allergic to peanuts, don't eat them....and its not the schools fault if your kid trades a bologna sandwich for PBJ, then breaks out

We need to stop catering to every perceived whim of difference in society. There are over 300 million people in the US, pretty sure there are more than 300 million separate issues/restrictions individuals would like to make their lives easier.
A peanut allergy can be a matter of life or death. This is not.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
It is a sad state of affairs in our country that this is even an issue.....I do not understand how we even have to discuss whether or not men should be allowed in women's restrooms. I don't care how you identify...if you were born a man, regardless of how you feel, identify, or what you wish you were....it does not matter...you are still a man...use the bathroom as a man, or don't leave your house and expect a public to cater to your issues...because it is YOU who has the issues, not the other 99.99% of people.

Im really sick and tired of each tiny minority thinking that the ultra majority needs to change THEIR lives to accommodate your feelings....The line is drawn when your ultra-minority lifestyle begins to infringe on the way the ultra majority lives. Your issue is not my issue, and darn well should not be.
And people like nomad can't even fathom this.

When did so many people stop thinking?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:41 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
So a person born a man but who visablly looks like a woman and does not have a penis and needs a standard toilet to use should enter a mans restroom? transgendered people have been killed and raped for doing that

Believe it or not but trans folks have already been using restrooms for the sex they identify as/are visablly a part of in public. No problems have happened.if this was included itd just give them protections.

We should not protect civil rights of trans folks because some crazy scenario of a man putting on a dress and going into a woman's bathroom to stare at women? Does this happen often if at all? Would hero do anything to increase this - provide actual source? Would hero allow perverts to molest kids? Of course not. Your kids are more at risk at school or at grandmas house than in a houston bathroom

Use your same argument in a debate about gun rights and see where that takes you

Last edited by testmo; 09-29-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 09:13 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
So a person born a man but who visablly looks like a woman and does not have a penis and needs a standard toilet to use should enter a mans restroom? transgendered people have been killed and raped for doing that

Believe it or not but trans folks have already been using restrooms for the sex they identify as/are visablly a part of in public. No problems have happened.if this was included itd just give them protections.

We should not protect civil rights of trans folks because some crazy scenario of a man putting on a dress and going into a woman's bathroom to stare at women? Does this happen often if at all? Would hero do anything to increase this - provide actual source? Would hero allow perverts to molest kids? Of course not. Your kids are more at risk at school or at grandmas house than in a houston bathroom

Use your same argument in a debate about gun rights and see where that takes you
Its a solution to a problem that does not exist. If a tranny looks like a girl, and uses the girls restroom, nobody is going to notice or care unless that same tranny stands up to pee in the stall next to another woman, in which case he really is not behaving like a she.

We don't need protections for problems that do not exist....Its the same reason I do not carry bear spray in the mornings when I run...its b/c there are no bears in Houston. This stupid ordinance, caters to the tiniest fraction of society and is NOTHING more than a springboard for whatever future office Mayor Parker intends to run for...Its a hot button issue to get her name on the radar outside of Houston, and just another STUPID way for some STUPID civil rights lawyer to be able to sue a normal every day person just trying to run a business how the public WANTS it run without the government intervening.

If this were to pass I am quite certain the first place all the transgendered folks would go to be discriminated against would be Chick-Fil-A - because they cant think of a more religious centered ultra successful business they would love to bring down than a Chick-Fil-A.

Nobody's civil rights have been violated by requiring a woman to use the womens room, and a man to use the mens room.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post

I'm not sure how people can't see it this way; my only thought is they don't realize the obvious difference between a dude in a dress and a guy that's been taking hormone therapy for years so they are smooth with feminine features, has breasts, and no male genitalia. How do you expect people like that to comfortably use te men's restroom? Do you realize that most already use te restroom they identify with today, yet there's no reported issues to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston