Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:28 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times

Advertisements

High Robbery rate....just saying lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 05:35 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
I just wish there was 7-11 in Houston and it would be even better if there was one near me.
They used to be everywhere in Houston. But all the Houston locations were sold to Stop N Go in 1988, in order to enable Seven-11 to reduce its debt burden.

I am well familiar with Seven-11's, and I am curious. What do you think that they offer that you cannot get in a Stop N Go or a Valero convenience store, other than their sign and branding?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:16 AM

52 posts, read 63,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Most of those taco joints you mentioned are Americanized with extra 50% markup to the product. Why do you want more of those here?
Any recommendation on non-americanized without the 50% markup in northwest Harris County? I just got back to the states after 18 months and of everything here I really missed tacos the most. I've been eating at Torchy's lately which is good but I'd be interested in knowing where the good hole in the wall places are around here.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:58 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Pollo Loco going up right now at 610 and Ella

Old 10-03-2015, 10:47 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
Understood. So the one story I have in this regard pertains to Krystal Burger. It may or may not apply to other franchises.

There used to be a Krystal Burger up around 1960 and 45 maybe 5 years ago. The person that owned this particular Krystal had exclusive rights in Houston. For one reason or another, he never followed through and his Krystal eventually closed, but his exclusive rights remain for some unspecified time, or until that contract is bought out. Maybe some entity owns rights to this region of the country which prohibits any random LLC from opening any aforementioned franchise. As a former fattest city in the country, Houston should be prime for anything fast food related that any other city has.

Krispy Kreme should re-open in a month or so, and I keep hearing about In & Out, but have yet to see anything. Maybe no one wants to compete with Whataburger.

I remember that Krystal Burger. That was a real bad location. That's in prime downturn 1960 area. That Food Fair across the street, the Walgreens at Ella that has freaking HSCO security to ward off the Cypress Station and Katrina crew down 1960 and Ella and so on.

It was kind of popular for a bit then it was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I ll jump on this band wagon, but I am not asking for more taco franchise...
For the longest time, I had the same question of why Houston has such a small amount of big franchise companies, but they have it in Dallas.

Del taco came and went. I didn't like their food but it's nice to have other choice. What a stupid location for a 1st store.
El pollo loco finally came here.
Carl's JR. Finally made it.
In n out is in San Antonio, Austin and Dallas. But not here.
I like to see more dunkin donut.
Quick trip needs to come here, it's all over the Midwest and some in Dallas.
This gas station would kill all gas stations here.
Man! QT is like Starbucks in the DFW areas. There's practically one every 5 minutes! For real.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 PM

129 posts, read 170,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHito View Post
Any recommendation on non-americanized without the 50% markup in northwest Harris County? I just got back to the states after 18 months and of everything here I really missed tacos the most. I've been eating at Torchy's lately which is good but I'd be interested in knowing where the good hole in the wall places are around here.
Theres a place I like called taco zone. Hole in the wall on 1960 that closes at 2:00 and isnt listed on google maps. Then there's another one right across the street as well as taco trucks up & down 1960. You just have to drive around and look for this stuff. There's always dozens within 10 minutes of any location. I dont even have time to try them all.

I can't believe anybody would advocate for more chains. I hate chains. I haven't eaten at Taco bell since my stoner friends dragged me there in college many years ago.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:48 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
Since we are talking about tacos:

Tacolandia Festival 2015 Presented by Houston Press

Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 PM

328 posts, read 471,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
One of the unique things about Houston has always been the proliferation of mom and pop restaurants of almost every cuisine. Dallas has never had that, they sold their souls to chain restaurants. Even the so called good Mexican restaurants in the Dallas area are chains (even if local), whereas here they are individual mom and pop.

Also, Houston has some branches of chains that aren't in Dallas or Austin, like Brennans. There are also tons of Cajun places that don't exist in Dallas as well.

Overall, I've never been disappointed by Houston's food choices.
Dallas has never had that, they sold their souls to chain restaurants.

According to consumer research firm Sandelman & Associates, Houston is #2 in the nation for its consumption of fast food. Miami is #1, Dallas #4.

These U.S Cities Eat the Most Fast Food | Eat This Not That

Old 10-06-2015, 02:37 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I am well familiar with Seven-11's, and I am curious. What do you think that they offer that you cannot get in a Stop N Go or a Valero convenience store, other than their sign and branding?
slurpee! slurpees are much better than slushies and iccees.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't know about food places but I'm surprised that Houston is not very big in the luxury big hotel chains at least. Sure you have your Hyatt's, Marriott's, and Westin's. But no Ritz Carltons, no W's, no Peninsula's, no Mandarin Oriental's. Virgin Hotel is starting a hotel chain and Dallas is going to get one.
That's an easy one to answer. Houston just isn't a tourism market. Most business travelers like their Marriotts or Hiltons or whatever and other visitors stay at their relatives homes. There is some tourism in Galveston so some nice hotels there but they are more historical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston