Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:10 PM

399 posts, read 636,090 times

Advertisements

Most prefer Memorial middle but many accept Spring Branch middle since it often times means being closer in (Spring Valley, Hunter Creek, Memorial Villages versus Frostwood, Beinhorn area). I think Spring Branch middle scores might be lower because they double the percentage of "disadvantaged" students (20% versus 10%). With this often comes parents who cannot help with education because they do not speak English or simple necessities possibly out-way education as a priority.

Spring Branch middle stats-
Spring Branch Middle School Spring Branch, TX - HAR.com

Memorial middle-
Memorial High School Houston, TX - HAR.com

As far as the neighborhood I would drive it during the day and night several times. And talk to neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:11 PM

150 posts, read 216,278 times
It is desirable bc it's boundaries include the wealthiest Villages. Piney point, hunters creek, bunker hill, Hedwig, Spring Valley. Your kid will be at school with people of high expectations and money for to pay for those advantages. It has a fair number of low income apartment students vs MMS, which can affect test scores. You should tour the school.

Ha pretty sure initiation is closer to $15 k! Spring Valley has an active moms club, valley Oaks PTA meets at night, you can join the local government for the Village....

Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,104,624 times
Some of the comments on here are laughable. In your situation (and mine, for that matter) I'd move there tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM

399 posts, read 636,090 times
Yes Memorialite it is over $20K now but well worth it IMO.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:02 PM

391 posts, read 420,712 times
The part of Spring Branch zoned to Memorial High school (the Villages, etc.) is what League City aspires to be 30 years from now. It's one of the wealthiest, most desirable areas of the city (arguably the most desirable if you favor a more suburban feel to the pomp of River Oaks). League City is more of a nouveau riche, white-flight area - hence the attitudes you're seeing. For me that would be a simple choice. I'm surprised your husband hasn't insisted on it already considering the difference in the commute.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:33 PM

986 posts, read 1,261,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod_Momma View Post
Perhaps! Upon reflection, I went to a crummy Middle school and survived just fine. It's a good question you bring up and not one to be taken lightly. (Do you have specific or anecdotal experience with Spring Branch Middle? Especially on the GT front. I am scraping for anything. )
My husband went there long ago and he survived. Even then, according to him, it was less desirable than Memorial Middle. There isn't anything specifically bad about it that I have heard, but simply the "general consensus" which might just be "veiled bigotry." Someone else mentioned it, but I think the main difference is that there are more economically disadvantaged (or maybe even simply more "less-advantaged") kids at SBMS. The school alone would not make me avoid living in that area. In fact when we were house-hunting a year ago, the area zoned to VOE was the other area where we were looking. We ended up where we did simply because we had a time limit and it was where we found something.

Also, I know nothing about League City, so I say none of this as a comparison to that.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,250,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Some of the comments on here are laughable. In your situation (and mine, for that matter) I'd move there tomorrow.
No kidding! It is one of the most desirable areas and school district in town!

Old 10-05-2015, 04:41 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,751,182 times
I wouldn't worry about Long Point too much either. Sure its not River Oaks Blvd but there are some nice places north of it too. Houston is like that in many areas. Piney Point Village for example, you can be smack in the middle some pretty sleezy apartments and strip malls within a few mnutes of leaving your multi million dollar mansion on an acre+. Its city vs suburbia so there will definitely be a difference.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 PM

91 posts, read 159,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Have you considered living in one house and leasing out the other until you can be more confident in which one you would want to live in ?
That's always a possibility. But, that would be hard on the kids if we just went right back. Once we make a decision, we like to stick with it. What we "could" do is go and stay there on the weekends to see how it feels to us.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 PM

91 posts, read 159,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I wouldn't worry about Long Point too much either. Sure its not River Oaks Blvd but there are some nice places north of it too. Houston is like that in many areas. Piney Point Village for example, you can be smack in the middle some pretty sleezy apartments and strip malls within a few mnutes of leaving your multi million dollar mansion on an acre+. Its city vs suburbia so there will definitely be a difference.
I hear you loud and clear on that one! My folks are in the Midtown area, and boy has that changed over the decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston