Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:06 PM

29 posts, read 79,813 times

Advertisements

When my family moved to the houston area in 78, we drove not having a destination. We ended up at the refineries off the loop. I literally started to cry and thought this is so ugly. I stopped at a Denny's and asked some truckers where is a nice place to raise kids. They said memorial. I lived there for a year and found it to be snooty, so I moved north, and again further north until I came to the Woodlands. That was the best move. It is clean and always growing, although I really think the schools are to hard on the kids. The teachers are strict and rule policies make no exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 16,442 times
I moved to spring right next to woodlands check out on web Canyon gate communties Legends ranch is the one by spring watch for the builders they put houses up fast and they fall apart just as fast First Texas is the worst bad service

Old 01-07-2007, 12:51 PM

37 posts, read 225,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannds View Post
I moved to spring right next to woodlands check out on web Canyon gate communties Legends ranch is the one by spring watch for the builders they put houses up fast and they fall apart just as fast First Texas is the worst bad service
why do you say first texas is the worst builder? can you elaborate on your experience, also do you still live in that community what do you like or dislike about it?

Old 01-07-2007, 12:56 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Yeah, you aren't going to get any properties zoned to the good Houston ISD or Spring Branch ISD schools, so the suburbs seem like your only choice. While people can, and do, send kids to non-zoned schools in Houston ISD, you may not like the IDEA of being "zoned" to low-performing inner city schools.

So, you should search in the suburbs.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:06 PM

106 posts, read 583,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLD View Post
My husband, small child and I are moving from TN to Houston in May. We would like to live in the suburbs, however, Houston is so large that we do not know where to focus our search. We have heard good things and are interested in The Woodlands (maybe too expensive), Spring, and possibly Cyprus. We would like to find a newer home between 150-180k. My concern is balancing living in the suburbs with his commute into downtown Houston. We would like to live far enough out, but hopefully limit his commute to about 40 mins. or so. He will probably be working from about 8-6, which I know is rush hour. Does anyone know about the commute times from these areas? And if anyone has any suggestions of other areas (or specific subdivisions) that we could take a look at, that would be great. Thanks.
I might take some flack for this but you might want to consider actually living *IN* Houston. Personally, I think commuting is for the birds which is why I don't live in Houston any more. I lived there for five years in Cypress, W. Houston, Dome area, and in Alvin. So I've lived all over. Well, the traffic never got any better anywhere except on 288, but as someone else said, it's probably going to get a lot worse.

There is this new Westpark freeway but I don't know anything about it since it wasn't there when I lived there. What is the traffic like? Might want to consider the west side. It's just like any other suburban area but it's in the city limits.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:03 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Actually, it's not that bad of a suggestion; I live inside 610 and my dad works in Downtown. Houston ISD, if you get into the right schools, can provide a good education. Again, though, just make sure you get into the right schools... HISD has several stinkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye View Post
I might take some flack for this but you might want to consider actually living *IN* Houston. Personally, I think commuting is for the birds which is why I don't live in Houston any more. I lived there for five years in Cypress, W. Houston, Dome area, and in Alvin. So I've lived all over. Well, the traffic never got any better anywhere except on 288, but as someone else said, it's probably going to get a lot worse.

There is this new Westpark freeway but I don't know anything about it since it wasn't there when I lived there. What is the traffic like? Might want to consider the west side. It's just like any other suburban area but it's in the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston