U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 03:54 PM

42 posts, read 58,689 times

Advertisements

The fruitvale...Horrible area in oakland...

"I can buy a home over 3000 Sq ft and in a great area and school district in Houston."

In houston? Houston is just like oakland...Great areas with good schools to horrible areas just like the fruitvale. The good areas are very expensive(not as much as california). If you want the big home with great schools and don't want to spend too much, you have to look at suburbs OUTSIDE houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 04:19 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,609,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofsfbay View Post

"I can buy a home over 3000 Sq ft and in a great area and school district in Houston."
The good areas are very expensive(not as much as california). If you want the big home with great schools and don't want to spend too much, you have to look at suburbs OUTSIDE houston.
Yep. You'll have to buy in the suburbs for anything like that. And then there's the commute to the Texas Medical Center. There are also opportunities in the suburbs for employment--I actually make more in a suburban facility than I would in the TMC, with an under 30 minute commute. My friend does the commute (50 miles each way) to the TMC for less money, but she enjoys the excitement & challenge of working in the largest medical center in the world.

I'm over it.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:30 PM

I live in Sugar Land and don't know why there are so many hospitals around here...it seems like all have construction going on to make them even bigger.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:17 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,286,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytosettle13 View Post
A nurse friend of mine just bought a home. In a very bad part of town by gangs (in Fruitvale area)and she still paid $500,000. Its less than 1500 Sq ft and only 2 beds. She had to put security cameras, and a security gate up before she moved in as well. Is this what I will have to resort to? For that same money I can buy a home over 3000 Sq ft and in a great area and school district in Houston. I think that it is time for me to makes those plans to move. It will be better for me in the long run.

Timing is everything even though many will say location trumps all.

I don't think I would call Fruitvale a very bad part of town or gang ridden... never had any problems when I lived there and my tenant has been there almost 10 years now with no plans on moving... rent is $1350

Area prices really hit rock bottom 2010-12... that two bedroom home has doubled in price since.

Don't know if a Houston home bought in 2012 for 250K in would have doubled or not... can't say... especially a home that was most likely built in the 1920-30's

Most likely the house is about 1200 square feet... at least this is typical for my old neighborhood.

Never had security cameras or security gates and neither does my tenant... we both had/have a dog and our neighbors always had someone at home... and this is something that can't be dismissed.

I would say you probably should make the move to Houston... it is hard to like an area if your really don't want to be there.

By the way... starting, new grads at SF general come in around $50 an hour plus very good benefits... East Bay you might start around $42 with the typical new RN Grad around age 23-24 .

My nieces Godmother had always rented... grew up in a home that was rental... she has a very good job in Emeryville as a research Chemist and decided in 2011 at age 32 to take the plunge and buy a home... never married and no kids and no significant other in her life.

She bought a flipped foreclosure home and settled in paying 230k... twenty months later she decided she was not cut out to be a homeowner... a tree limb hit the roof, she had to spend money repairing a sewer lateral and simply did not like spending her free time gardening and taking care of a home.

She put it up for sale and CLEARED 200k... enough to pay off her student loans and car in full... open an IRA and have money in the bank... if she would have stayed a little longer she would have had more because of the Capital Gains tax law.

This home was in the upper Fruitvale district... single college educated woman, living alone in her own home...

The other reason she decided to sell is her co-worker was going overseas for a year and wanted her to housesit in the Oakland Montclair district... all she had to do was pay all the utilities and take care of the two cats...

Timing...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-24-2015 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 06:41 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,334,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofsfbay View Post
I live in Sugar Land and don't know why there are so many hospitals around here...it seems like all have construction going on to make them even bigger.
TONS of nursing jobs in Sugar Land, and they're about to be a lot more with the new hospitals. Its also a reasonable commute to the Med Center. You can buy a Sugar Land house in a safe area with great schools there starting around $250k in New Territory. For $350k+ you will be amazed what you can get vs California.

Sugar Land is a suburb, but it's vibe is more similar to California subrubs than the other Houston suburbs, so it wouldn't be as harsh of a transition. Sugar Land reminds me a bit of Irvine or Concord & Walnut Creek. We have many Cali transplants in Sugar Land.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:13 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,539,902 times
I would move to Sugar Land in a heartbeat. It's an amazing suburb they doesn't feel too much like a typical burb. It does remind me of an LA burb-town like Glendale, Burbank, etc. Its diverse, fun and friendly to both singles and family.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post

Sugar Land is a suburb, but it's vibe is more similar to California subrubs than the other Houston suburbs, so it wouldn't be as harsh of a transition. Sugar Land reminds me a bit of Irvine or Concord & Walnut Creek. We have many Cali transplants in Sugar Land.

Wow! I was thinking Walnut creek also!!

Think of sugar land as the schools of Lafayette/Orinda/Moraga with a vibe of walnut creek.

If i were to put my 2500 sq foot house/neighborhood in that area, it would be over $1.5M

Here is my area...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eBG4AV0ajU

Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 7,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Timing is everything even though many will say location trumps all.

I don't think I would call Fruitvale a very bad part of town or gang ridden... never had any problems when I lived there and my tenant has been there almost 10 years now with no plans on moving... rent is $1350

Area prices really hit rock bottom 2010-12... that two bedroom home has doubled in price since.

Don't know if a Houston home bought in 2012 for 250K in would have doubled or not... can't say... especially a home that was most likely built in the 1920-30's

Most likely the house is about 1200 square feet... at least this is typical for my old neighborhood.

Never had security cameras or security gates and neither does my tenant... we both had/have a dog and our neighbors always had someone at home... and this is something that can't be dismissed.

I would say you probably should make the move to Houston... it is hard to like an area if your really don't want to be there.

By the way... starting, new grads at SF general come in around $50 an hour plus very good benefits... East Bay you might start around $42 with the typical new RN Grad around age 23-24 .

My nieces Godmother had always rented... grew up in a home that was rental... she has a very good job in Emeryville as a research Chemist and decided in 2011 at age 32 to take the plunge and buy a home... never married and no kids and no significant other in her life.

She bought a flipped foreclosure home and settled in paying 230k... twenty months later she decided she was not cut out to be a homeowner... a tree limb hit the roof, she had to spend money repairing a sewer lateral and simply did not like spending her free time gardening and taking care of a home.

She put it up for sale and CLEARED 200k... enough to pay off her student loans and car in full... open an IRA and have money in the bank... if she would have stayed a little longer she would have had more because of the Capital Gains tax law.

This home was in the upper Fruitvale district... single college educated woman, living alone in her own home...

The other reason she decided to sell is her co-worker was going overseas for a year and wanted her to housesit in the Oakland Montclair district... all she had to do was pay all the utilities and take care of the two cats...

Timing...

I love the Bay Area and I trule want to stay but for my husband's line of work it does not make sense to live here and for our future plans. I realize that you keep mentioning the past, but I live in the bay now not in 2012 or 2008, now and not only that I have a family. That being said my choices are limited. I wish I had your situation or that of your tenant or your niece's godmother. I have not been that lucky in that way. I also love my job and make a lot of money (by the way new grad nurses make more than what you've mentioned ) but what's the point if I will never be able to invest in a house for my family or spend my life working in order to afford it instead of enjoying my house. I am not fully set on leaving I do think I will miss the Bay area a lot. I just want a piece of the American dream and have realized that it may be impossible for me here. I see what you are saying but the reality is that the situations you keep discussing are not an option for everyone and if I could fall upon such a situation I would never leave. But renting is becoming way too expensive and buying a house is also way too expensive. I have thought about moving further out which has become a new option since I do want to stay if I can but I hope I will be able to handle the drive everyday. It is an option now since we have starting looking maybe I will be lucky and fall upon such a situation but most likely not.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:06 PM

Moving further away in the bay area will get you a bigger home at a lower price, decent schools(not great) and an extra long commute. Look at the areas with great schools. Average $1M+, decent school areas are about $700K+

Get ready to pay for a mortgage your whole career. We will have our house paid off in about 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or