Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,524,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHito View Post
If it's that bad where you live maybe you should move.
I am considering this way. But it will take a while for me to get a good job in a geographical area I like to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 05:25 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Turn your outside lights off until about 10pm and you'll be fine.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:32 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Not really. I know about the castle doctrine. But the zone between the front door of my house and the car parked in the shared driveway is very questionable.
Quote:
Each state differs in the way it incorporates the castle doctrine into its laws, what premises are covered (abode only, or other places too), what degree of retreat or non-deadly resistance is required before deadly force can be used, etc.

Typical conditions that apply to some castle doctrine laws include:[citation needed]

An intruder must be making (or have made) an attempt to unlawfully or forcibly enter an occupied residence, business, or vehicle.
The intruder must be acting unlawfully (the castle doctrine does not allow a right to use force against officers of the law, acting in the course of their legal duties).
The occupant(s) of the home must reasonably believe the intruder intends to inflict serious bodily harm or death upon an occupant of the home. Some states apply the Castle Doctrine if the occupant(s) of the home reasonably believe the intruder intends to commit a lesser felony such as arson or burglary.
The occupant(s) of the home must not have provoked or instigated an intrusion; or, provoked/instigated an intruder's threat or use of deadly force.
In all cases, the occupant(s) of the home: must be there legally; must not be fugitives from the law, themselves, or, aiding/abetting other fugitives; and, must not use force upon an officer of the law performing a legal duty.
Not sure what's questionable. You asked specifically about someone 'breaking in through my door" and that answers it. It's all right there.

Quote:
"Castle laws" remove the duty to retreat before using deadly force when one is in their home or in some U.S. states just simply where one can legally be.
You also have this statute.

Fine, I'll say this. All you'd need to do is show that 'use of deadly force' was necessary and justified.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Not sure what's questionable. You asked specifically about someone 'breaking in through my door" and that answers it. It's all right there.
No, I don't have doubts about this.

What I am talking about is another question: what if my car is parked in front of the house (not in the garage) in the shared driveway. I am walking out of my house through the front door and some thugs in a car parked next to my car are pulling gun on me. Can I use my gun legally in this zone without CHL? This is the question.

Or, as alternative situation: I walked out of my house through the front door and started locking the door; suddenly a criminal approached me and pointed gun at me. I am just little bit outside of my house. Do I need CHL in this case to legally use my gun?

Last edited by Ghost Town; 10-15-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-15-2015, 08:31 AM

118 posts, read 207,381 times
Quote:
I am walking out of my house through the front door and some thugs in a car parked next to my car are pulling gun on me. Can I use my gun legally in this zone without CHL? This is the question.
I think you're confusing a CHL with a license to kill. The CHL is a license to carry a concealed (hidden) weapon. A license to kill is only given to secret British operatives, such as 007.

Even if you do not possess either of these licenses, you are allowed to defend/protect yourself and your property. Of course it gets a little hairy if you're a convicted felon and not allowed to possess a gun.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
I think you're confusing a CHL with a license to kill. The CHL is a license to carry a concealed (hidden) weapon. A license to kill is only given to secret British operatives, such as 007.
So you think if a criminal is pointing gun at me near my house, this is not a reason to defend?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:41 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Ghost Town, I suspect you've invalidated any "castle doctrine" defense you might have hoped to use with these posts.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 AM

308 posts, read 499,124 times
Like others have said...just because you have a CHL doesn't give you the right or license to start shooting at people. Please reconsider owning a gun and getting a CHL. I'm not against guns as I'm a gun owner myself. But I don't feel the need to be carrying at all times, waiting to shoot someone.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:59 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
No, I don't have doubts about this.

What I am talking about is another question: what if my car is parked in front of the house (not in the garage) in the shared driveway. I am walking out of my house through the front door and some thugs in a car parked next to my car are pulling gun on me. Can I use my gun legally in this zone without CHL? This is the question.
yes. still constitutes your property.

Quote:
Or, as alternative situation: I walked out of my house through the front door and started locking the door; suddenly a criminal approached me and pointed gun at me. I am just little bit outside of my house. Do I need CHL in this case to legally use my gun?
no you don't. still constitutes your property.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone especially DSL_PWR for the comments!

I don't have an intent to shoot anyone, but need to be prepared. And why I am asking these questions: I don't want to break any law. Criminals don't care, but I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston