Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 5,195 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend want to move to Houston from Arkansas within the next year and we were wondering what we can expect the cost of living to be. We have two cats, and here we're renting a 2 bedroom townhouse for $475. Could two people with cats get by ok working retail or factory jobs? It doesn't necessarily have to be in Houston, we don't mind living slightly outside of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I don't think you'll find a 2 brm townhome for $475.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't think you'll find a 2 brm townhome for $475.
I know I won't find that specifically, I'm just looking for something that two people can afford working retail or factory jobs. I know my budget is small, I don't know why people have to point that out. I get it, I can't expect much. Didn't say I was.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
You could make it working retail/factory jobs if your standard of living isn't high. I'd suggest searching for jobs online and applying to them first prior to moving. When you have the jobs lined up, find a place convenient to where you work.

Apartment wise, you might be able to find something in the $600-$700 range, but realistically you might be paying $1k for a one bedroom.

Before you make this decision in your life, make sure you have some money saved up in case things don't work out so you're not broke and living off your credit card.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:18 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJchick View Post
I know I won't find that specifically, I'm just looking for something that two people can afford working retail or factory jobs. I know my budget is small, I don't know why people have to point that out. I get it, I can't expect much. Didn't say I was.
Don't get in a tiff. Pointed it out because you mentioned what you currently were able to get for your working $ where you are. So if you have never visited Texas, was trying to point out that you will have to lower your expectations. Many apartments will accept up to two pets. The lower price range apartments will. It be in a very safe area. There may be some section 8 apartments in okay areas if you qualify.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:09 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Me and my boyfriend want to move to Houston from Arkansas within the next year and we were wondering what we can expect the cost of living to be. We have two cats, and here we're renting a 2 bedroom townhouse for $475. Could two people with cats get by ok working retail or factory jobs? It doesn't necessarily have to be in Houston, we don't mind living slightly outside of it.
My suggestion would be to stay where you are. Looks like you have a sweet deal going there.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:16 AM

693 posts, read 1,108,054 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound like you have anything positive to add to Houston or the surrounding areas. The cost of living has gone up a lot here, and all those crap news articles which claim Houston is the best bang for your buck are simply not true for people who don't have some some special skill, profession or trade.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times
Quote:
Curious as to why you and your BF want to move to Houston, especially with no job lined up and apparently no special skill or trade.
No offense, but we have enough Wal-Mart-type and factory workers already here in town.
You're not going to find housing for anything close to the price you're currently paying in any respectable part of town and you likely won't make any more than what you're currently making.
Like others have mentioned, Houston is not the Utopia pointed out in articles where you can just move down here and live like royalty for next to nothing.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:39 AM

872 posts, read 827,938 times
In an area where you would sorta kinda feel safe. You are looking at minimum $750.00 month for a small 1 bedroom. And that is if you are lucky. Don't forget to add your $400.00 plus pet deposit. Most apartments charge a $15.00 monthly charge per animal.

Electrical bills will be high. Also if you don't have a car you will need t least one car. You can try and use metro.

I would not say you would get by ok with or without cats working retail or factory jobs.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times
I hope you know Spanish if you want a factory job. Houston has factory jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston