Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 42,554 times

Advertisements

Instead of putting full effort on the South West side towards Sugarland, Galleria, Katy, why couldn't they of developed that along the 45? Im aware of the hurricanes but there must be more reasoning behind this.. i just feel like its a missed oppurtunity for property value and taking advantage of geographic location closer to the bay and gulf. Almost like an LA westside style dense sprawl. You'd at least be close to Galveston instead of the middle of flat land. Having the galleria inbetween downtown and Galveston sounds like it can change the perspective on how the world see's Houston and actually have a chance for tourism and global status. I dont mean this in any harsh way, i like Houston the way it is now.. but this question has always disturbed me as a recent California transplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:19 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildings Ar Us View Post
Instead of putting full effort on the South West side towards Sugarland, Galleria, Katy, why couldn't they of developed that along the 45? Im aware of the hurricanes but there must be more reasoning behind this.. i just feel like its a missed oppurtunity for property value and taking advantage of geographic location closer to the bay and gulf. Almost like an LA westside style dense sprawl. You'd at least be close to Galveston instead of the middle of flat land. Having the galleria inbetween downtown and Galveston sounds like it can change the perspective on how the world see's Houston and actually have a chance for tourism and global status. I dont mean this in any harsh way, i like Houston the way it is now.. but this question has always disturbed me as a recent California transplant.
Ask the insurance companies and land developers. There is no governmental regulations preventing development of the Metro in pretty much any direction. The difference between 5 to 10 feet of elevation and 50 feet is enormous

Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 PM

52 posts, read 68,931 times
Pasadena, Clear Lake, Deer Park, La Porte, Friendswood, Kemah. Low elevations, flooding and petrochemical complexes.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown homie View Post
Pasadena, Clear Lake, Deer Park, La Porte, Friendswood, Kemah. Low elevations, flooding and petrochemical complexes.
Good point about the elevation, but if you are talking specifically about the I-45 corridor, then that doesn't include most of the locations in the above list, nor are there petrochemical plants or refineries off of 45- Texas City being an exception. If you are citing that list as suburbs that are accessible via 45 (as Sugarland is to 59 or Katy is to I-10), then I get what you are saying.

As someone who lives in this area, I have also been perplexed by the lack of retail development South of about Dickinson. Nowhere near the shopping and restaurant options South of there as there is North of there. All the best seems to be concentrated in Clear Lake, specifically between El Dorado to NASA Road 1. Not sure I mind that, though, because I hate the mall and surrounding area, it's a terribly designed exit and exchange, and I only access the area from surface streets to the East, never 45.

I do know League City is trying to do a tax increase or proposal to enhance the retail development so going up to Clear Lake (which is Harris versus Galveston County) is not the only option. I have mixed feelings about that based on the increased traffic and hassle it will bring. As it is now, once I get to I-45, I can get on and just fly going South to the Island.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Good point about the elevation, but if you are talking specifically about the I-45 corridor, then that doesn't include most of the locations in the above list, nor are there petrochemical plants or refineries off of 45- Texas City being an exception. If you are citing that list as suburbs that are accessible via 45 (as Sugarland is to 59 or Katy is to I-10), then I get what you are saying.

As someone who lives in this area, I have also been perplexed by the lack of retail development South of about Dickinson. Nowhere near the shopping and restaurant options South of there as there is North of there. All the best seems to be concentrated in Clear Lake, specifically between El Dorado to NASA Road 1. Not sure I mind that, though, because I hate the mall and surrounding area, it's a terribly designed exit and exchange, and I only access the area from surface streets to the East, never 45.

I do know League City is trying to do a tax increase or proposal to enhance the retail development so going up to Clear Lake (which is Harris versus Galveston County) is not the only option. I have mixed feelings about that based on the increased traffic and hassle it will bring. As it is now, once I get to I-45, I can get on and just fly going South to the Island.
It was growing in that direction. Think Friendswood, which is supposedly very nice. Then TWIA happened. It is still growing and developing but slower. Also Energy Cooridor in West Houston may explain the growth on the west side.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Galveston county insurance.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:34 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Look at the hurricane flood maps.

I know 288 South took a long time to develop because it was difficult and expensive to set up the proper drainage.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
If you look at the Houston metro area from a satellite, it's clear it stretches from downtown all the way to Galveston with a gap between Dickinson and 1764. So it's almost continuous all the way to Galveston.

The only other direction it stretches so far is to the north, from downtown all the way to Conroe with a gap between the Woodlands and Conroe.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:59 PM

Do you guys feel as if Houston's core was just slightly closer to the gulf, it would have more of a "Gulf Coast global city" identity and vibe? I dont feel like i'm close at all to the "coast" as a downtown resident.

Houston has the biggest port in the United States if im not mistaking. Bigger than Long Beach thats forsure.

The Metro makes more since as "Houston, Baytown, Galveston," not "Houston, Sugarland, The Woodlands".

Why create another inland sprawl metro design like Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix? We have the geographic advantage to be something unique and different. It's like if Los Angeles was centered in the high desert or coachella valley.

Last edited by Buildings Ar Us; 10-18-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 PM

Galveston's historic core is actually already very vibrant, full of history, and pleasing architecture. Imagine if we could of revitalized it rather than a build a whole new galleria district far away in the land of endless grass.

We could have had "the biggest downtown outside downtown" (excluding Brooklyn). A Galveston more urban than than Century City and Oakland in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston