Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:20 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

How's your retirement plan coming along? How much do you save annually towards it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:37 PM

11 posts, read 14,487 times
I max out my 401k with my company

Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM

my current house has 2400 square feet vs 3500 on the proposed house, the price difference would be 150k

Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 PM

i plan to buy in cypress

Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 PM

292 posts, read 547,904 times
I see these types of questions on here and it always amuses me. If you don't know enough about your own finances and personal situation to decide whether or not you should buy a new house, why would you even think to expect strangers on an internet forum to know better?

If you need advice that bad, the best advice you can get is to seek a professional financial planner to fully review your finances and help you decide.

It amazes me the thought process of some of these posts..

Last edited by Hangster; 10-21-2015 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 PM

270 posts, read 405,951 times
2400 too small? For two people? I've got a family of four (kids are 2 years and 5 months) in 1500 square feet. Yeah - we'll need something bigger eventually (probably something like....2400 square feet) but this works for our current situation and I like living in town.

If you are thinking about having kids - I'd instead pile up money. Lots of it. A 350K house on your income is certainly within your means but once you add child care in (I hear it's $800 a month on the low side, my wife stays at home so others may have better data) and the other bills there isn't much margin for things that just come up. Like a medical problem or needing a special school that might exceed $20K a year. I'm probably going to top $15K out of pocket this year on medical expenses that "just happened" with my youngest. I have good insurance and he had what I would characterize as minor issues surrounding his birth but it sure cost a lot. Judging by my friends it's not terribly unusual to run into a $10,000 problem with a kid.

Get through toddler stages and then you will have a better idea of how much free money you have. But I will promise you, kids will drain your wallet and you should build up a reserve fund to handle them.

I also would not rent unless you really want to be a landlord and are thinking of doing that sort of thing long term. If you buy a 350K house you will likely be depending on your old one to be rented to balance your cash flow - you need to assume some level of vacancy and possibly repair costs as well. If a few months of vacancy will break you financially - don't rent it. If you have a pile of cash lying around to help mitigate the risk and the rental income is substantially above what it costs to maintain the mortgage and the house...then maybe I'd be more supportive of rental.

It sounds like you really haven't done landlording before - if you go over to the "renting" section of the real estate forum on CityData you will see many, many nightmare stories of novice landlords in situations similar to you getting burned. Read that forum for awhile before jumping into being a landlord.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:12 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
When I had my family of four in a 1,000 sq ft home - sure, we needed more room. We have 3,000 sq ft now and it's way too much. Unless you are certain you don't like your current zoned schools, I'd stay in the cheaper house until you genuinely do outgrow it, i.e. not enough bedrooms for number of kids. I would try living with what you think the expense of a new home would be, on only one of your incomes, for a while, and then decide.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:34 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
I'd say do it, you only live once.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
I see these types of questions on here and it always amuses me. If you don't know enough about your own finances and personal situation to decide whether or not you should buy a new house, why would you even think to expect strangers on an internet forum to know better?

If you need advice that bad, the best advice you can get is to seek a professional financial planner to fully review your finances and help you decide.

I agree & I think people have already made up their mind about what they are going to do and they are just trying to justify it by checking opinions here. I don't think the feedback received on online forum would be a driving factor for making such a big decision of buying a house.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:46 AM

467 posts, read 778,629 times
I would say do it as well. Right now is the time to buy up. Don't look back on this post in 2020 when rates are at 10% and you can only afford $225k. Take advantage of low rates and lock it down. Cypress is booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston