Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,302,629 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much. My friend says she has insurance and has no outstanding tickets. So apparently, unless she irritates a policeman, I guess she's ok with taking a chance that she wont get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 04:04 PM

413 posts, read 1,175,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Cuss and call him a pig and profess how registration laws are unconstitutional and you just may get towed.
or maybe get shot if you reach for your pocket (to show him your insurance card in your new GEICO app)

Old 11-03-2015, 04:37 PM

5,841 posts, read 6,117,209 times
I once had a registration sticker expired by almost 10 months and got stopped by a cop specifically for that infraction (was not in Harris County or anywhere close by). The Officer was very pleasant and all I got was a ticket, which I paid immediately. I don't recall it was even that much money, maybe $150, iirc.

I had received my new registration, and in my zeal to be organized, had immediately filed the entire thing away without removing the new sticker. When I went home after getting the ticket, I checked my files and there it was.

I don't think your friend should do what I did, though...

Old 11-04-2015, 01:48 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,528,528 times
Quote:
My bet is that the car is only towed if the driver is arrested.
This, so make sure your friend doesn't have warrants

Old 11-04-2015, 01:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,212,557 times
Well if pedro has no insurance hpd looks the other way. If its a white man might get his car towed.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:04 PM

52 posts, read 63,292 times
Quote:
My bet is that the car is only towed if the driver is arrested.
This.

Essentially I think it falls under the definition of a "fix-it" ticket. They would be issued a citation with requirement to remedy the expired inspection/registration within a period of time, at which time they would show proof and also pay a penalty (and/or "court fees").

I believe an officer in Texas may make an arrest at their discretion (for behavior such as failure to cooperate or comply to officer requests) during any traffic stop. As a result of that the car could be towed if there is nobody willing and able to drive the vehicle at that point. I couldn't find a citation for this but it's what an officer had mentioned many years ago.

Really the risk of getting caught and having to pay penalties and wasted time is not worth the whatever money they're avoiding to pay. If your friend is too cheap to get an inspection, I'd be more afraid of what other things they're avoiding such as maintenance or insurance.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 PM

52 posts, read 63,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Well if pedro has no insurance hpd looks the other way. If its a white man might get his car towed.
Huh? You had to bring race into it...

Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,543,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks so much, lipbalm and HookTheBrotherUp! I did google this before posting and saw nothing about getting towed (unless the car is parked on a public street) but several people swear that the cop could have it towed if he wants to be tough.
He could if he wanted to.(Fact) The car would be technically be an unregistered vehicle not allowed on a public highway. There is nothing in Motor Vehicle Law that says "unless you forgot to re-register." Granted, in most cases a Cop would not, but could do so.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,066,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHito View Post
Really the risk of getting caught and having to pay penalties and wasted time is not worth the whatever money they're avoiding to pay. If your friend is too cheap to get an inspection, I'd be more afraid of what other things they're avoiding such as maintenance or insurance.
He's not avoiding anything, just deferring it. Unlike the old inspection stickers that were good 12 months from date issued, registration stickers are good 12 months from the date the previous one expired, not the date issued. So if it expired in July and you renew in november, it's only good til next July.

My bet is the car won't pass inspection for some reason.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,479,735 times
They're trying to combine the two stickers into one, starting sometime next year. So, if your inspection sticker was due in Dec 2015 and your registration renewal was say August or September 2015, I think you're granfathered in until next yr. That's what I was told when I went in for an inspection recently, they actually turned away my business. Hope the guy knew what he was talking about lol.
I'm sure that's not what your friend was going for, but it may be a loophole that could save you from a ticket. I think the rule started in August, but not sure, received a memo about it when I renewed registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: