Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:03 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACarName1990 View Post
To have at least $300 left over for incidentals, savings, a little beauty treatments and an occasional outfit?

Right now in Memphis I earn about 30k and i live in a 832 sq foot apartment and the rent is 628 and I have enough left over to get my hair/nails done, go out for drinks twice a month and put 100 in savings.
Everybody's opinion will be different. You've got one saying $150 for Internet and cable and car payments etc.

I don't live there anymore but can relate to those that relocate. Main questions would be why are choosing to move to Houston? As one poster put it, the city isn't oozing with tons of cash for anyone to take that shows up. So I hope that's not the main reason. It's a competitive place and to me not lagging to cities like Los Angeles ( lived there) , Chicago, NYC by much.

Also depends how much debt and payments you have. If it's low, I say it's fairly doable to live here. You'll prob spend your 3k relocating, and finding a new place. The biggest cost is housing. Rent is high and is still increasing. It's best to find a roommate otherwise you'll be squeaking by. Easily $1k to start in decent spots.

I had a salary sorta in your range but also supplemented it. Had no car payment, insurance wasnt high and cable/internet can cost as low or high as you want it. I did just fine living in good area of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 PM

31 posts, read 33,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Everybody's opinion will be different. You've got one saying $150 for Internet and cable and car payments etc.

I don't live there anymore but can relate to those that relocate. Main questions would be why are choosing to move to Houston? As one poster put it, the city isn't oozing with tons of cash for anyone to take that shows up. So I hope that's not the main reason. It's a competitive place and to me not lagging to cities like Los Angeles ( lived there) , Chicago, NYC by much.

Also depends how much debt and payments you have. If it's low, I say it's fairly doable to live here. You'll prob spend your 3k relocating, and finding a new place. The biggest cost is housing. Rent is high and is still increasing. It's best to find a roommate otherwise you'll be squeaking by. Easily $1k to start in decent spots.

I had a salary sorta in your range but also supplemented it. Had no car payment, insurance wasnt high and cable/internet can cost as low or high as you want it. I did just fine living in good area of the city.
I want to move to houston for the weather, bigger city feeling, better dating opportunities and career advancement. I'm not interested in moving west or midwest for that matter. I love the South and Texas is the best choice for it.

But yeah, I am reconsidering living on my own or living outside the city limits. I haven't had a roommate since I was 20, but I could do it for a year.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
You are 25. What is the earnings trajectory for your field? You can easily live on $40k salary in Houston. If you can't, you are doing something wrong. You won't live lavishly, but you'll be okay.

But the better question to ask is, why consider it without a job? You don't really need to create poorly explained gaps in employment at this stage in your career. It WILL hurt your job prospects in the future. If you have a stable good position right now there are very very few reasons I'd suggest moving without a job. I'd say an gravely ill parent would be just about the only good reason.

Certainly, look for a job here and when you find it, come on down!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 PM

31 posts, read 33,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
You are 25. What is the earnings trajectory for your field? You can easily live on $40k salary in Houston. If you can't, you are doing something wrong. You won't live lavishly, but you'll be okay.

But the better question to ask is, why consider it without a job? You don't really need to create poorly explained gaps in employment at this stage in your career. It WILL hurt your job prospects in the future. If you have a stable good position right now there are very very few reasons I'd suggest moving without a job. I'd say an gravely ill parent would be just about the only good reason.

Certainly, look for a job here and when you find it, come on down!

Earning potential for HR is widespread. Generally, it is between 40k-70k depending upon area of expertise.

Yes, I plan on coming in July for 4 days to see the city more and hopefully schedule interviews. I definitely do not want to leave a job without one lined up!

Old 11-13-2015, 05:51 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
Not really the best examples for COL. Everyone knows those cities are absurdly expensive. Just because Houston is "3x, 4x maybe 5x" cheaper than those doesn't make it cheap or valuable. Especially not anymore. It's fairly expensive and has little to show for it unlike other high COL cities.
Really? At one point Houston was worth it considering its meteoric rise but it's not worth it to be 3x cheaper than NYC. I mean it's midway between a regional and world class powerhouse. I don't think it's worth the rising prices.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:22 AM

108 posts, read 171,954 times
It can be done. Take this listing. The bathroom and kitchen look like they could use a good scrub down, but its literally a block from the museums and hermann park and only $745. This area is changing rapidly with all the new townhomes being built. There are some others in small complexes if you look for them also for similar prices. Look on HAR and you can get an idea of pricing and can search by map and price.

http://www.har.com/5611-jackson-st-9/sale_87929147

But yeah, ideally it would be better if you had a job first. The market isn't the best at the moment.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,755 times
Is ANY of THIS possible?

You are moving to Nashville, Dallas, Birmingham, and Houston?

Coming to Nashville from Memphis (couple Q's)

Is any of this possible when trying to move to Dallas?

Memphis to Birmingham?

*sigh* Don't feed the OP.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:11 PM

398 posts, read 394,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Is ANY of THIS possible?

You are moving to Nashville, Dallas, Birmingham, and Houston?

Coming to Nashville from Memphis (couple Q's)

Is any of this possible when trying to move to Dallas?

Memphis to Birmingham?

*sigh* Don't feed the OP.
In her defence, I'm considering moving to Colorado, Alaska and/or Arkansas just to get away from you people.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:39 PM

840 posts, read 1,120,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsal29 View Post
It can be done. Take this listing. The bathroom and kitchen look like they could use a good scrub down, but its literally a block from the museums and hermann park and only $745. This area is changing rapidly with all the new townhomes being built. There are some others in small complexes if you look for them also for similar prices. Look on HAR and you can get an idea of pricing and can search by map and price.

5611 Jackson St #9, Houston TX 77004 - HAR.com

But yeah, ideally it would be better if you had a job first. The market isn't the best at the moment.

OMG!!! This would scare me away from moving here.

I remember when I moved here back in the dark ages. I don't remember what my take home pay was, but my salary was $12,000/year. I was able to rent an apartment that looked way better than this place and a plus was no burglar bars! I think my rent was $275. I definitely lived paycheck-to-paycheck.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 23,256 times
I am not aware of car insurance cost in Memphis, but here, for one car, you be paying $500-1000 per year.

That $500 seems to be the absolute minimum based on asking from companies and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston