Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:24 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Again, I know nothing about the area. I have heard of Clear Creek and I assumed it had a monopoly of all things close to Galveston. I figured it was all one giant district.
Nope. The difference in perceived quality of schools between CCISD and everything to the south is a significant challenge for the southern Galveston County housing market, particularly for homes over $225,000 that are not waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 02:27 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Bacliff and San Leon are in Texas City city limits, but people who live there don't really think of themselves as living in Texas City.
AFAIK they are still unincorporated, unless they recently agreed to be annexed by Texas City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
North Forest was a mess but I think the schools that were absorbed into HISD are being turned around pretty quickly.

I've vaguely heard of La Marque but know nothing about it. A Google search shows that the whole district has to wear uniforms? Even the high schools have a polo requirement like thing going on That's like code for our schools are full of poor kids and free lunch. Usually when a school at least elementary reaches like 80% low SES uniforms come out.

Whatever district is taking them is taking on a lot of not so good. Parents in that district will be leaving the sticks coast for inland Houston in no time. And it's numbers aren't good. Whatever district is getting them is not getting cream of the crop student or parents. Not even a little of the cream. That's a HUGE burden. TEA sucks. The old commissioner Williams was an idiot and a lawyer who had no business running an education agency. They need to promote superintendents not lawyers, politicians and CEOs.

If it's not a private school, uniforms in public = poor SES school
Has there been significant chatter of people abandoning TCISD? If so, maybe the Texas legislature should merge all of South Mainland Galveston County (except any parts in the League City limits) into one school district.

BTW I wonder if parents are starting to see school uniforms as a negative thing based on the association with low income schools.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
AFAIK they are still unincorporated, unless they recently agreed to be annexed by Texas City.

Has there been significant chatter of people abandoning TCISD? If so, maybe the Texas legislature should merge all of South Mainland Galveston County (except any parts in the League City limits) into one school district.

BTW I wonder if parents are starting to see school uniforms as a negative thing based on the association with low income schools.
I recently did some work in Texas City and haven't heard talk of "abandonment." It was generally perceived as better than La Marque ISD - in fact, many felt that a lot of its achievement issues stemmed from its willingness to take transfers from La Marque and Galveston. Nevertheless, it has been perceived as much lower quality than CCISD schools in League City, meaning that most who could afford to chose to live up there or in Friendswood, even if their job was in southern Galveston County.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:57 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Once TCISD started taking in LM and Galveston students last decade, it stopped being easily trackable in statistics in- or out-migration to/from TCISD's territory based on school enrollment figures.

Texas City High School had a higher enrollment than Dickinson High School until the early 2000s. A few years later Dickinson went 5A while TC went to open enrollment because it had space for kids from elsewhere. At some point Dickinson and Santa Fe will get accepted by the educated masses once League City and Pearland get too full. In my estimation, and having been around both for years, there is nothing wrong with either one. Texas City is building a new trade school it should have had 25 years ago when it was gutting those programs at the high school. TCISD has upped its game in the last few years, but nobody outside will likely notice.

It's a shame sending your darlings to the same school with "those kids" though.

I went to Kohfeldt Elementary in Texas City. I was one of "those kids." My dad worked at the plant.

Let's say I know what I'm talking about here.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Once TCISD started taking in LM and Galveston students last decade, it stopped being easily trackable in statistics in- or out-migration to/from TCISD's territory based on school enrollment figures.

Texas City High School had a higher enrollment than Dickinson High School until the early 2000s. A few years later Dickinson went 5A while TC went to open enrollment because it had space for kids from elsewhere. At some point Dickinson and Santa Fe will get accepted by the educated masses once League City and Pearland get too full. In my estimation, and having been around both for years, there is nothing wrong with either one. Texas City is building a new trade school it should have had 25 years ago when it was gutting those programs at the high school. TCISD has upped its game in the last few years, but nobody outside will likely notice.

It's a shame sending your darlings to the same school with "those kids" though.

I went to Kohfeldt Elementary in Texas City. I was one of "those kids." My dad worked at the plant.

Let's say I know what I'm talking about here.
I don't doubt you - I met a number of TCISD grads who felt similarly. The level of pride and commitment in the community, both for its schools and the city generally, was admirable. However, it's not been enough to compete with League City for college-educated parents.

Regarding Dickinson and Santa Fe, I heard very negative commentary about the latter, so I'm skeptical it can become a preferred district anytime soon. Dickinson seemed to be perceived as "meh", definitely a step or two or three below CCISD schools in League City. But, there could be a chance that an elementary or two could come to be perceived as decent enough to attract young families - that's worked in Baytown. College-educated parents have to be confident that their little darlings will be in class with only economically equal or better suburbanites, otherwise, the horror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston