Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:40 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_odeassy View Post
I would also like to know info on it

also if I rent home, would owner be responsible for security system or do I need to have it installed as renter?
It just depends. An owner may be willing to pay to have one installed to attract you as a renter. Monthly maintenance costs would likely be yours. Some houses may already have one installed. At a last resort, you could probably pay out of pocket to have one installed, but you would need the owner's permission. If that is a deal-breaker, be sure to come to an agreement before you sign a lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:17 AM

118 posts, read 207,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Well don't leave us hanging!! How did you explain yourself? "Officer, I'm not stealing anything. Just this fridge."
I'm with you on this one. "This is not what it looks like, officer."

Seems like lots of opportunity for this scenario to turn south.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:28 AM

412 posts, read 451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Get a security system sign for the front yard and call it done. I've never seen the point in having a security system on a house. The police won't be there until well after the burglars are gone, and the cost of false alarms can be high.
There are two schools of thought on the alarm signs. The obvious one is it deters burglars because they know there is an alarm on the premises. The other is that it informs burglars there is something worth stealing in that house.

I lean toward the second theory.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:55 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
There are two schools of thought on the alarm signs. The obvious one is it deters burglars because they know there is an alarm on the premises. The other is that it informs burglars there is something worth stealing in that house.

I lean toward the second theory.
Interesting. I have almost nothing of value in my home, except myself, my husband, and my kids. (On some days I would also include my dogs but since one of them crapped in the laundry room this morning, today is not one of those days.) So for me it is more for peace of mind and self protection.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times
I make my home as inhospitable to burglars as possible. Burglar alarm signs, dogs, cameras etc.

I think that a burglar is much more likely to get the low hanging fruit than mess with a house where it's clear the owner has put some thought into keeping out burglars.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:06 PM

676 posts, read 931,671 times
I use Alarm Masters and they have been excellent. They are based entirely in Houston and only service Houston and some of the surrounding areas. They are one of the few that is even monitored locally in the Houston area. Most of the other "local" companies are actually monitored in either Dallas, San Antonio, or out of state. They like to install hard wired systems as they tend to be more reliable, but will install wireless when necessary. My system is entirely wired with 20 zones, has motions, glass breaks, all windows, all doors, smoke and heat detectors throughout the house, and water sensors in the overflow pans in the attic. It is connected to the monitoring center over my broadband connection with a Verizon cellular backup. I can also control and monitor the system with an app on my iPhone (also has an Andorid app). The main panel is a Honewell Vista which is not locked down to them either. I pay $37.90/month + tax for all of this with no contract. With the thieves known as ADT, Vivint, and Protection One this would be over $60/month with a 3 year contract and horrid customer service. I have been really happy with Alarm Masters. They can really customize the system to what is wanted and what is needed.

Avoid the DIY all-in-one systems like Simply Safe, Frontpoint, and Protect America. Those systems are junk and easy to bypass. My parents had Smith Thompson at their place for a while, and while their price and customer service is great, their systems and what they can do with existing systems are really limited. Also their cell transmitter you get for the $16.99/month price will only tell their monitoring station that there is a fire or burgular alarm going off, but not what zone, and will also not tell them about system troubles or low batteries. You get what you pay for with them.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
I use Alarm Masters and they have been excellent. They are based entirely in Houston and only service Houston and some of the surrounding areas. They are one of the few that is even monitored locally in the Houston area. Most of the other "local" companies are actually monitored in either Dallas, San Antonio, or out of state. They like to install hard wired systems as they tend to be more reliable, but will install wireless when necessary. My system is entirely wired with 20 zones, has motions, glass breaks, all windows, all doors, smoke and heat detectors throughout the house, and water sensors in the overflow pans in the attic. It is connected to the monitoring center over my broadband connection with a Verizon cellular backup. I can also control and monitor the system with an app on my iPhone (also has an Andorid app). The main panel is a Honewell Vista which is not locked down to them either. I pay $37.90/month + tax for all of this with no contract. With the thieves known as ADT, Vivint, and Protection One this would be over $60/month with a 3 year contract and horrid customer service. I have been really happy with Alarm Masters. They can really customize the system to what is wanted and what is needed.

Avoid the DIY all-in-one systems like Simply Safe, Frontpoint, and Protect America. Those systems are junk and easy to bypass. My parents had Smith Thompson at their place for a while, and while their price and customer service is great, their systems and what they can do with existing systems are really limited. Also their cell transmitter you get for the $16.99/month price will only tell their monitoring station that there is a fire or burgular alarm going off, but not what zone, and will also not tell them about system troubles or low batteries. You get what you pay for with them.

Thank you ilikeme .The response was what I was looking for

Old 11-25-2015, 11:22 AM

676 posts, read 931,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSUG View Post
Thank you ilikeme .The response was what I was looking for
No problem. I forgot to add, with Alarm Masters if the alarm is set off, they call within less than 30 seconds. They also do not waste time going through a call list, unless you want them to. With mine they call the house phone and then if there is no answer or they get a wrong codeword/none at all they dispatch both neighborhood security and police and then go through the list until they get someone. I will also know immediately even if I am not home due to push notifications with the app. Neighborhood security responds very fast to the alarm calls ( like 2-3min at most usually) and in my area near Stafford the police are pretty quick also. Security will also call police if they see the crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston