Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've heard anecdotally that the large local Asian population is too value-oriented for mall shopping, despite having high incomes. It seems counterintuitive because upscale malls continue to proliferate in Asia itself.
Asians in general (at least in this city and especially Sugar Land) have a higher family income and more disposable income than any other race. One of the reason is because the household tend to be bigger. So I don't agree with your comment they are not spending it. I just think they are not spending it in First Colony, just like the rest of the upper income population that have abandoned the mall.

If you go across the street where that strip center encompassing Nordstrom rack and off saks. It is packed with people. I would bet that center probably does more business than the whole First Colony mall. That is where all the Asian and upper income clientele went.

Also there have been a steady flow of chinese visitors coming over to visit friends and family. All they want to do is buy stuff. You see them all the time in the outlet center and in Galleria. You don't see them in First Colony though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
I'll echo the previous comments about First Colony Mall - the outlot and open-air portions of Town Center seem to be booming - it can take <gasp> a whole two minutes to find a parking spot. The mall itself seems a bit quiet by comparison - not dead, but a bit tired.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Yeah I've never been so not sure what some peoples dislike is about.
I'm not sure why either. It's a nice mall with a good stores.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:52 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Asians in general (at least in this city and especially Sugar Land) have a higher family income and more disposable income than any other race. One of the reason is because the household tend to be bigger. So I don't agree with your comment they are not spending it. I just think they are not spending it in First Colony, just like the rest of the upper income population that have abandoned the mall.

If you go across the street where that strip center encompassing Nordstrom rack and off saks. It is packed with people. I would bet that center probably does more business than the whole First Colony mall. That is where all the Asian and upper income clientele went.

Also there have been a steady flow of chinese visitors coming over to visit friends and family. All they want to do is buy stuff. You see them all the time in the outlet center and in Galleria. You don't see them in First Colony though.
Well, this would be a little ironic then, given that the strip centers with the stores you name are typically considered more value-oriented, whereas mall stores are considered more full-priced for merchandise - so it seems odd that the consumers with more disposable income would go to the value-oriented places while more moderate income shoppers go to the mall. If that's true, then it's not good for the mall over the long term, unless it can make it up in sheer volume. But the corollary question would be, why would higher income shoppers quit the mall? Is it just the changing consumer preference for the outdoor walkable environment that's been evolving (note that Baybrook, a hugely successful mall, has added an outdoor walkable section also, as did The Woodlands years ago)?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
A big city like Houston, does not have a decent sized outlet mall. If you go to other large cities like Houston, they all seem to have premium outlets. The ones in Houston lack some of the major stores that you could easily find in other markets. Its about time we get a decent sized outlet mall.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:00 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
A big city like Houston, does not have a decent sized outlet mall. If you go to other large cities like Houston, they all seem to have premium outlets. The ones in Houston lack some of the major stores that you could easily find in other markets. Its about time we get a decent sized outlet mall.
Houston Premium Outlet is not bad. Definitely one of the better ones and I been to quite a few.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
I think the numbers inside the mall indicate it is not doing well. Planner probably have the numbers showing sales are in decline.

If you go in there, it is not doing well. There is not that many traffic. The anchors, Macys and JCP are definitely not part of their "A" store. "A" stores means they put in better selection and generally better run because they are lot more profitable. I know the other 4 centers Planner mentioned earlier all are Macy's "A" and so is Willowbrook. First Colony is not one of them.

I think what is going to save First Colony is their hybrid model. That outside area attract all the upper income white clientele that have abandoned the mall. All the higher end shops are setup there and I believe are doing quite well. Wouldn't surprise me if they continue to expand on that area.
"Upper income white"?? Seriously? Agree with the upper income, but there are loads of non white successful professionals, Asian, Hispanic, Black, or otherwise in the Sugar Land and surrounding area.

Mall seems fine to me. I shop at that Macys when they have good sales, but hate paying full price for anything. Macy's seems good enough and that's the only store in Sugar Land that has an Origins. Whole family gets their hair cut at that mall and we sometimes go to the other stores. We go to the outdoor part a lot. The food court sucks.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Houston has two outlet malls by Tanger ("Premium Outlets") about which I've heard nothing but good things. Plus there's Katy Mills, which for whatever reason doesn't pack the same punch that Mills properties elsewhere do (Grapevine Mills near DFW airport for example).

The biggest outlet malls tend to capitalize not only on local resident demand but also leisure visitor traffic, which may be why in Texas the largest facilities are in DFW and the Austin / San Antonio areas, which have much higher leisure visitation than Houston. In any case, the Texas City Premium Outlets are positioned to capture leisure traffic to Galveston and the Bay Area.

Outlet malls are little different animal so I was trying to focus this discussion on standard malls.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Houston Premium Outlet is not bad. Definitely one of the better ones and I been to quite a few.
Its not bad at all & I love shopping there. Just lacking few options for me personally due to which I have to drive 2 hrs every once in a while.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:18 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,102 times
Quote:
Tanger Outlets in League City is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston