U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 01:30 PM

31 posts, read 16,995 times

Advertisements

Long time lurker; first time poster.

My husband and I are preparing to buy in Brazoria County, in the Pearland/Manvel area. We are first-time home buyers, so I've been struggling with research. Using the monthly payment estimator on har.com, I have noticed a huge difference in the monthly costs of similar homes, which seems to be based largely on property taxes. Shadow Creek Ranch seems to be the worst offender, here.

We want to spend less than $300k on a home that will give my husband decent access to Freeport, where he works pretty regularly, and me decent access to Houston. I prefer the west side of the Pearland/Manvel area over the east side for commuting purposes. We don't care about the school district because we're keeping our kids in private school--likely through high school.

One of my friends keeps telling me to just look for homes that are 10+ years old, but I have seen even these associated with MUD taxes. I can't make rhyme or reason of this! Which neighborhoods in this area boast the lowest tax rates??
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 01:38 PM

1,611 posts, read 1,240,813 times
Any subdivision on common water / sewer will have some sort of MUD or water district to provide those services, regardless of how old it is, unless it have been annexed by a city which has abolished the district. Sometimes you can even have in-city MUDs, so there are MUD taxes in addition to city taxes (I believe this may be the case in Shadow Creek Ranch).

You can look up the 2014 tax rates of individual MUDs here:

2014 Tax Rates - Brazoria County Appraisal District

Of course you'll have to determine which MUD is relevant to the home you're looking at first.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:20 PM

6,035 posts, read 8,748,458 times
The only way to avoid a MUD is to buy land that isn't in a neighbourhood yet.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:32 PM

375 posts, read 157,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The only way to avoid a MUD is to buy land that isn't in a neighbourhood yet.
Or, find one in a city like Pearland or Manvel or Alvin.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 PM

65 posts, read 75,059 times
Have you tried Lakes at Countryplace? I believe their MUD went away recently.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 AM

94 posts, read 73,807 times
Silvercreek and Sliverlake are pretty good for taxes.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM

31 posts, read 16,995 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

While trying to figure this out, I found Lakes of Savannah in Rosharon, where homes are substantially lower priced for what you get in Pearland with a slightly lower tax rate.

I am concerned about the homes retaining their value over time for the same reason, though. Anybody have any insight into this?

It looks like homes similar to the new ones being sold for $260+ that were build 5+ years ago are selling for $60k less in the older parts of the neighborhood. Is there a reason for this beyond the obvious?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 AM

94 posts, read 73,807 times
There are many factors. One being the schools/school district. I notice you were saying you don't really care about the schools because your kids will be in private school but the quality of the schools plays a major role in property value. I can help guide you with your home search. Email me at gregorywesley at pearlandnation dot com.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:10 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,815,046 times
You will find some of the lowest taxes (lower than Shadow Creek Ranch) in Silverlake, Silvercreek, Sunrise Lakes,and Lakes of Country Place.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:45 AM

431 posts, read 1,075,784 times
Low taxes in Silvercreek? Not for me. We pay close to 10 grand a year! Taxes are high all over. My suggestion would be just to buy the smallest house for the cheapest price. That's the best way to know you may pay less than others. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston