Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 06:17 PM

54 posts, read 57,279 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My partner and I have been residing in an apartment in Houston, TX for several years. We have been looking for a house with acreage to purchase.

We recently identified one in Cypress, zip code 77429, close to Grant and Telge rd. Most of the houses on the street are ranches, as is this one.

The area is not highly developed, however we are hoping it develops in the next 10-20 years.

It has almost 10 acres, and a medium sized home.

I am reaching out to all of you for some advice on a couple of points:

1) Does anyone know about the area? Is it likely to develop in the next 10-20 years?

It is proximal to 249 and 290, and the upcoming 99.

2) Does anyone have experience living in a ranch style house, we are debating about what to do with the acreage?

We would like to use some of it to build a pool and maybe a guest house, but thinking of how we could use the other land, we are keen on growing produce for personal use.

I can gladly share more information if it will be helpful.

Thank you,
mengembara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
I'm GUESSING that you would not qualify for any type of ag exemption, but I'll still check. If by some slight chance, you could do something like plant enough pecan trees to get some sort of tax break, that would be cool.

Like I said, you probably wouldn't qualify for any, but it wouldn't hurt to check. It would stink if you bought 14 acres and then found out if you had 15 acres you could get some sort of break.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:12 AM

5,595 posts, read 4,891,824 times
FYI I think most readers will assume "ranch style" means architectural style, when you're actually meaning "acreage lot." It will help if you change to the latter term.

Also, calling anything under 50 or even 100 acres, let alone under 20, a "ranch" is inappropriate. "Ranchette" might work, if some type of livestock is allowed. Otherwise it's just acreage-lot residential.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:52 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm GUESSING that you would not qualify for any type of ag exemption, but I'll still check. If by some slight chance, you could do something like plant enough pecan trees to get some sort of tax break, that would be cool.

Like I said, you probably wouldn't qualify for any, but it wouldn't hurt to check. It would stink if you bought 14 acres and then found out if you had 15 acres you could get some sort of break.
Ag exempt is extremely difficult in Harris County. You have to show 5 consecutive years of qualifying ag production to START the exemption. And there are minimum acreage requirements that will be tough with that small a property.

There can be many reasons to buy land like this, but ag exempt is not one of them.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:27 AM

112 posts, read 196,685 times
I know the area pretty well (live not too far away). I know they will be widening Telge to two lanes each way, up to FM2920 to accommodate traffic from 99. I also know that there are a lot of new houses being built near Telge and Boudreaux (Hayden lakes and wildwood at Oakcrest)

Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 PM

54 posts, read 57,279 times
Hello friends, thank you for your replies.

Local planner and Mamiamjo,

I sent you PMs. I will be grateful if you could look at them.

Thanks,
Mengembara

Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 PM

10 posts, read 9,230 times
There is definitely development all along the 99 corredor as respects residential as well as mobility projects. Ag exemption would be difficult and not a motivation to buy but definitely enjoyment of a larger space - especially if the property is unrestricted. Houston does not offer a lot of large residential parcels so supply and demand would most likely keep this a desirable investment. I would also be curious if you could subdivide in the future should you ever want to downsize the acreage. Good luck! Sounds fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: