Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,349,162 times

Advertisements

I'm currently on the West Coast. I've got my irons in the fire for some metro area Houston jobs.

Looking around HAR.com (the Multiple Listing Service), I seem to be focusing on The Woodlands and other heavily vegetated areas outside the tollway. The jobs I'm applying to are in the North and in the West thus far, but right now, I'm just looking at neighborhoods.

Would it be a bad decision to live out in these kinds of suburbs? I like newer housing stock and would like to keep the price reasonable....in both Atlanta and Seattle, I purchased in the suburbs and really enjoyed living there (Dunwoody and Woodinville, respectively). Are there professional singles living in these 'burbs? C'mon, there's gotta be. I wouldn't want this to compromise a social life/dating possibilities. Is the area south of downtown and Hobby and north of Galveston worth a look? Is it fairly green (in color, not sustainability, for this discussion)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,204,169 times
You're best bet is the Clear Lake/Seabrook area. Good area for singles that fits the suburb description nicely. Nice entertainment, bars, eateries, and other suburban singles to play with. This is on the south side of town.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,594,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm currently on the West Coast. I've got my irons in the fire for some metro area Houston jobs.

Looking around HAR.com (the Multiple Listing Service), I seem to be focusing on The Woodlands and other heavily vegetated areas outside the tollway. The jobs I'm applying to are in the North and in the West thus far, but right now, I'm just looking at neighborhoods.

Would it be a bad decision to live out in these kinds of suburbs? I like newer housing stock and would like to keep the price reasonable....in both Atlanta and Seattle, I purchased in the suburbs and really enjoyed living there (Dunwoody and Woodinville, respectively). Are there professional singles living in these 'burbs? C'mon, there's gotta be. I wouldn't want this to compromise a social life/dating possibilities. Is the area south of downtown and Hobby and north of Galveston worth a look? Is it fairly green (in color, not sustainability, for this discussion)?
These are not the suburbs but they have what you are looking for. Rice Village,Midtown and Uptown are areas you should consider.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,536,573 times
Rice Village/West University would be a good compromise between the two, but if you've really got to live outside the beltway, Clear Lake is probably your best bet. You actually have a semblance of a nightlife there, not that it's going to rival anything you see in LA.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,349,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You actually have a semblance of a nightlife there, not that it's going to rival anything you see in LA.
Clear Lake does seem to have nice homes per HAR.com. Also, I was never into nightlife, even after undergrad and living in L.A. I essentially did things with my friends, either locally or road trip type stuff. In short, not at all pretentious or flashy. Thanks. I appreciate the tips. No votes for the north side or west side thus far... *scratching head*

Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,536,573 times
Well, if you like roadtrips then far north or west might be the way to go (starting outside most of the Houston traffic). Clear Lake is close to the bay and Galveston, and that's about it.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 AM

799 posts, read 3,691,597 times
I vote for the North side. I don't know why everybody thinks you have to be married with a bunch of toddlers running behind you to live in the suburbs. I have a friend who lives around the corner form me who is single with her 3 dogs, owns her home and goes out on the weekends, sometimes into town, alot of times just locally. My sister is also single and lives out here. There are gyms, spas, parks (with jogging trails)shopping and coffee shops,sports bars,dance halls, churches(they have singles groups).
Some people like to live in the city to be near everything that is happening but it isn't for everyone. I would never live in the city married or not. I would suggest if you bought a home that you may prefer and older home to the new built homes because the new neighborhoods are almost totally families with very young children. The older homes seem to attract more singles and families with teens and up.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,683,216 times
Another vote for Clear Lake, only because I live there. There are a lot of 30-40ish singles in our neighborhood who are like you - they make a decent income and want their own space w/o sharing walls/ceilings with strangers. (Can't blame them for that one.)

That's going to be a hell of a commute to the north and west sides for work though.

The natural vegetation isn't going to be like The Woodlands really at all. It'll look like this in the fall, greener in the spring/summer, and lifeless this time of year:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2305/...ebbb277c_o.jpg

Though once you get into the Clear Lake area you'll notice much of it is manicured with planted oaks, pines, oleander, palms, crepe myrtles, ''Knock-out'' rose bushes, etc. Some people have citrus trees. Looks quite nice in the spring through fall.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,851,129 times
If anything SkyeAnjel said resonates with you, you might take a look at the Heights. It has decidedly older homes but it also has charm in spades and has the advantage of location. It is close to downtown and has easy access to most everything inside the Loop. It is in a category all by itself - sort of urban suburban...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,478,717 times
Lots of areas that are urban suburban you should look at.
I lived in the NW for a while, it closed shop at 9am. Its not some place you want to be young in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston