Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:38 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,125,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Most of you are defining two cities by a ride down highway 225. That would be like defining clear lake by industrial portion of Bay Area between red bluff and 146. Or defining Houston inside the loop by 610 over the ship channel. The downwind portion that has been the worst tends to be over the neglected east end of Houston (Milby park area). Channelview and galena park also suffer more from being downwind. Those areas don't initially appear as industrial but unfortunately receive the most of anything permeating from highway 225 and the ship channel.
When I first saw this thread title, I actually assumed OP was talking about the area inside the Loop just east of downtown, which I think is the area referred to as EaDo, iirc.

But, it seems like most of the responses are centering around the entire half of the metro area East of 45, or certainly east of the Loop. That's a huge area, and probably a bit too liberal a definition. I technically live in the Kemah/LC border area, but I just tell people I'm in the "Clear Lake area". I don't consider this area to be part of the industrial complex at all, to me, it's retail, residential and NASA. All those refineries....those are to the North, and TBH, I knew very little about the residential areas peppered throughout as a kid growing up in SW Houston. I think therein lies the problem. The entire east side of town is sort of shrouded in this industrial mystery to anyone who didn't grow up nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 08:40 AM

391 posts, read 421,324 times
Quote:
Those smaller ones often seem to go less detected until something happens. Could be my imagination but seems like those little stow-away plants have less accountability to regulatory agencies.
It's your imagination (:

Old 12-31-2015, 09:04 AM

1,636 posts, read 1,218,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Cancer central on the east side
Shīte apparently doesn't stink in the west half of the loop & Uptown.

And that was in 2006. 10 years later add in all the people and their thousands of idling cars. Meanwhile industry has still been forced to clean up by the government.

I'd be interested to see that map for nowadays. Yet "inner loopers" will still be on here claiming their shīte doesn't stink.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 PM

53 posts, read 80,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCowboy View Post
Here is an article that discusses the air pollution in the area:

Breathing Easier: How Houston Is Working To Clean Up Its Air : NPR

I used to work there when I was younger; I will never work there again. In order to be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid. The air in that area is toxic with chronic exposure. How anyone can argue otherwise can only be explained by a lack of information and irrefutable facts.
So you regret working there and now fear future consequences. If you and others are really worried about cancer then the relatively tiny additional risk you believe you've added can be drastically reduced if not eliminated by being careful with what else is put into your body and eating a diet largely composed of green plants, which are loaded with cancer-preventing phytochemicals. In fact, cancer might be mostly a deficiency of these things. But most people will never change their lifestyle much and so will continue in ignorance/denial/lack of discipline and so will blame the apparent culprits rather than taking responsibility in a much more effective way.

"He said if you add up all the gas stations, print shops and dry cleaners, they actually put more smog-producing volatile organic compounds into the air than the refineries do."

The expert knows that, while the refineries and plants are the visible symbols of unhealthy pollution, the normal city life is an equal if not a more responsible factor. Bottom line is we're all intaking toxins in varying concentrations daily and the smartest approach is to keep the body in an appropriate state to deal with them.

Last edited by RedRat44; 12-31-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 03:08 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,967,977 times
When I think of the undesirable East side of Houston I think of the area just below Summerwood. From Sheldon on down to Pasadena is Podunk City.

Above that Summerwood is the last nice area but that's why Humble/Kingwood/Atascoita is kind of isolate because it's in it's own area pocket with nothing above or below it. Above it is the sticks with scattered niceness and below it is podunk straight up.

So that's like between N Lake Houston Pkwy to just Johnson Space Center. Then it branches out into nice areas....Kemah, Clear Lake, Friendswood, etc.

Take a ride down the Beltway towards Friendswood and it's like that scene in Catching Fire on the monorail when they pass through the industrial areas that look like podunk ghost towns and all dreary.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:07 PM

8,892 posts, read 19,904,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

So that's like between N Lake Houston Pkwy to just Johnson Space Center. Then it branches out into nice areas....Kemah, Clear Lake, Friendswood, etc.

Take a ride down the Beltway towards Friendswood and it's like that scene in Catching Fire on the monorail when they pass through the industrial areas that look like podunk ghost towns and all dreary.
Coming from the direction you describe, clear lake is actually before Johnson space center.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:28 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,967,977 times
Quote:
Coming from the direction you describe, clear lake is actually before Johnson space center.

I mapped and it and I'll say up until Fuqua turning into Genoa Red Bluff. Right before Ellington. Which is pretty much where Clear Lake starts. That all the way up to N Lake Houston Pwky.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 AM

385 posts, read 437,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRat44 View Post
And half of the western inner loop has the same levels according to that map.

People do live on the eastern side of Houston but it has always been mostly working class. The area has been avoided and shunned by the majority of Houstonians for a long time but that began to change about 10 years ago. Now density and development have established themselves and will only spread. The bayous are bigger on the east end and it doesn't flood like the west and north.
I have little doubt of this. This is exactly what has happened in other polluted, industrial areas of many other major cities. At some point, cheap becomes cheap enough to clean up and rebuild.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:01 AM

6,443 posts, read 4,016,463 times
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.7...3568aa!1m0!3e0
I think this area might be what the author is talking about when referring to the Eastside. The Direct East and maybe even this.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.7...3568aa!1m0!3e0
Barely anyone lives here at all(For the size of this region) This area is more decent than the first link.

Also besides San Jacinto, a few nice Baytown neighborhoods and 2 or three small towns in the region the area is barely developed residential and commerical wise and besides the large plants you see everywhere it is barely developed at all. If razing this entire part of H-town besides the houses/roads wouldn't cause the loss of thousands of jobs I would raze that and rebuild like a lower middle class to upper class haven that was close to Downtown and that was urban and walkable and this area could be a futuristic area of Houston (Lots of new post 2010 infrastructure), were more than 200,000 people actually lived. A place/city like Galena Park would be the Katy/Sugar Land/ The Woodlands of the East but instead of sprawl appeal with short commutes and utilizing its grid for urban infrastructure, Also if this area was redeveloped it would have a larger appeal to its proximity to possible beaches and downtown by grazing the inner loop. If the chemical plants could be move to a place like Chambers or Liberty County, it could bring more urban development to that region and could if rebuilt with more modern tech it could be considerably cleaner and make Liberty/Chambers county grow like FB, Brazoria or Montgomery Counties for the working class. (Both are already filled with working class people but could easily take more than 100,000 each and still look extremely rural.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:28 AM

8,892 posts, read 19,904,147 times
I don't see the chemical plants being moved. These are huge mega million $$ complexes on the ship channel. They aren't going anywhere in our lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston