Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
People flock to this city and claim that it's great diversity is one of the things that attracted them to Houston but the first thing they want to do is find where the most of "their people"
What's so hard to figure out? They like that Houston has diversity and pretty much any type of people on the planet. So that's the welcoming factor and what brings many to town. Then once here, they want to be with people like themselves. That's pretty much universal among people. I've never come across anyone who prefers to live around people entirely different from him or herself. It's just a simple process. They find a diverse town, then find the preferable area within that town. How could that be odd or confusing?

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 01-06-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think this makes the point.

Although I still find it amusing to see Blacks ask for a diverse area but say that an area that is 33% white, 33% Asian, 33% Hispanic and 1% Black is not diverse, however one that is 80% Black is.
First of all, diverse doesn't mean "racially diverse"
A neighborhood with people that are skinny/fat, young/old, tall/short, etc, etc. is a diverse community.

"Diversity" depends on the eye of the beholder

Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik1680 View Post
Pretty disappointing. Even more disappointing that people agree with you. The statistics say that you are most likely to be assaulted or violated by someone of your own race...but don't let a little thing like facts get in the way of you categorizing everyone who doesn't look like you as thugs and criminals.
The FBI Uniform Crime Report that is released every year illustrates why he is right and you are wrong. Saying that certain groups commit a disproportionate amount of crime in comparison to their percentage of the overall population is not "categorizing everyone who doesn't look like you as thugs and criminals." It's simply pointing out the facts.

And yes, "you are most likely to be assaulted or violated by someone of your own race" precisely because people generally decide to live among people like them. But that doesn't mean the other statistics aren't also accurate.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Typical conservative argument taking things to the extremes

It's the same as saying "If you claim to love your wife/husband, why do you talk to other women/man?"
Yes, I love my wife
No, I don't want to talk to her all day long.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:42 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
A neighborhood with people that are skinny/fat, young/old, tall/short, etc, etc. is a diverse community.

I'd like to see just one example of someone looking for a diverse community that really meant a mix of fat people and skinny people. lol

Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I'd like to see just one example of someone looking for a diverse community that really meant a mix of fat people and skinny people. lol
Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that as well It's like saying "tall people" really means "tall" compared to ants and amoebas.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I know for a fact that a lot of people like gyms that have a mix of skinny/fat people
They like a "diverse gym"

Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
What's so hard to figure out? They like that Houston has diversity and pretty much any type of people on the planet. So that's the welcoming factor and what brings many to town. Then once here, they want to be with people like themselves. That's pretty much universal among people. I've never come across anyone who prefers to live around people entirely different from him or herself. It's just a simple process. They find a diverse town, then find the preferable area within that town. How could that be odd or confusing?
What's so hard to figure out? Do you honestly not see the humor in someone moving to a city because of it's diversity then immediately start looking for a place to live that is predominately filled with people of their race/culture? That's like moving to a city because of it's hot, humid, tropical climate then immediately you start looking for all of the ice skating rinks in the area. If someone moves to Houston for it's diversity then actively seeks out a neighborhood filled with people of their own race and culture they aren't doing anything to foster diversity in Houston.

When people talk about how diverse Houston has become it's based on racial and cultural diversity... not the height or weight of people.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

In the context of this thread it does mean racial and cultural diversity, we aren't talking about skinny/fat people.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
You keep asking the same question. Here are the answers:
I haven't gotten any answers, all I've gotten are excuses from people. You can't be a champion of diversity while secluding yourself and your family from people of other races and cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston