U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 36,586 times

Advertisements

There is a beautiful park in the Heights w/a gazebo...My son & his wife got married there...it is free of charge...I loved it! Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 51,255 times
Donna,

Would you remember the name of the park in the Heights?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,133,119 times
There is a place called Heaven on Earth. Just type in heavenonearthweddings dot com and take a look. They have full service packages that would include the photography.
They are located in Missouri City.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,133,119 times
Marmion Park - 1802 Heights Blvd.

Located on Heights Boulevard at 18th Street, Marmion Park is the original location of the Cooley mansion, one of the first houses built in Houston Heights. The house was demolished in 1965. The land sat vacant until 1979 when it was purchased by the Houston Heights Association for the purpose of constructing Marmion Park, named in honor of the last mayor of Houston Heights, J. B. Marmion. The park's award-winning Kaiser Pavilion was designed to emulate the Cooley home's unique turret. This beautiful, tree-lined park and large gazebo are extremely popular for wedding ceremonies.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 51,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
If you are on a budget, I recommend Carolyn Jones. She did our family photos last summer, and she is REALLY good. She is trying to build her bridal portfolio and would probably give you are really good deal. She was with us for three or four hours, we paid no sitting fee, had about 100 shots from which to choose, and the whole thing cost us less than $300. Included in that was a CD of all pics, with full rights to reproduce, and we bought about three 8x10 prints and several 5x7's. She is very friendly and artistic too. We had a good time!

I do not recommend getting married outdoors in July. Not even at night. You will sweat to DEATH. I know this, because I got married July 30 in Key West, FL and it was the same conditions. If you must have it during the summer, and it's smaller than 50 people, I would say go with a Bed and Breakfast for your wedding. Then you have a choice of whether to do your own catering (which most allow you to do) or you can use the B&B for catering. Guests also have the option of mingling indoors or out on the grounds if they need a breather.

If I can make a recommendation for a budget cake--I'd find a Wilton cake class (a more advanced-level class) at a Michael's and ask the instructor if there is anyone in her classes that she would recommend to make a wedding cake for you. You will find some amazing talent there and for MUCH less than a fancy bakery. Tell the instructor how many people and what your budget is (usually by the serving--most bakeries are anywhere from $5 to $15 per serving so something around $2 per person would be reasonable to expect). Some of those students will JUMP at the chance--I know, b/c I took the class to make my in-law's anniversary cake and there were at least 3 other ladies in there that were planning to start their own special-occasion cake business. Some are really trying to build their business and will do a cake for practically NOTHING if you allow them to come photograph, etc. The other option with that is pay to have someone you know that is creative take the class to make the cake for you. A basketweave is a classic wedding cake design and easy to do (though time consuming) even though it looks hard. It is very forgiving:

Buy a few stargazer lilies, some greenery, babies breath, champagne grapes and *poof* you have a gorgeous wedding cake.

Just remember if it is at night, you are expected to provide dinner. If it is afternoon, you can get away quite easily with cake and delicate foods like finger sandwiches (cucumber, salmon, etc), stuffed cherry tomatoes, prosciutto-wrapped melon balls, etc... all things that you can do yourself or have your friends do. You can have a champagne toast, but for drinks make punch and have coffee/tea/water with all the fixins.

Whatever you do, make sure your serving tables have white (or light) cloth covers. No bare tables!! Decorate with pearl garland, rose petals, and lots and lots of tealights. Easy and cheap!

Okay, that's my unsolicited two cents on a wedding on a budget!! LOL!
Thanks so much for offering the great suggestions and information. I have already sent an e-mail to the photographer to request information. I did not know your name, but told her you were a client from last summer.

My son and his girlfriend of ten years are getting married this October and I needed a photographer for their wedding also.

Great idea for the cake suggestion. I have a Michael's right up the street from the house, so I will check with an instructor there.

Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate your help.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,818,677 times
No problem! If she asks, tell her it's Polly and we did 4th of July pics last year with the whole family. We'll be calling her soon after our second daughter is born!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 PM

637 posts, read 2,039,336 times
Outdoor wedding in July in Houston?... Lol, it's got to be a joke people, you are all wasting your time responding because nobody but nobody would try and plan something like this and if they did I couldn't imagine that anyone would attend... People sweating through their clothes, make up running like Niagara falls, hair flatter than the state of Texas, people passing out etc...

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,552 times
Lake Conroe resident -- you're absolutely right about not underestimating how heat could affect your guests -- my uncle had to stay in one of the air conditioned limousines during the reception because he couldn't take the heat at our wedding.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 15,870 times
Starting to plan my wedding trying to find a nice place for a outdoor wedding it going to be in april

Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 AM

3,677 posts, read 3,164,654 times
A practical friend on a very limited budget got one of those party, tour boats out of Kemah. She did her own catering from Randall's. Cake and all. It was air conditioned but most went outside as the boat cruised Galveston Bay. A good time was had by all. Get a photography student from HSPVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston