Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,778,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
A city that is over 600 square miles and you're telling me the only place to build is outwards? Get a grip. Chicago is less than half that size.
Why the attitude?
Look around... where is there space to build? This is why they are putting up more and more apartments and town homes where single family houses used to be.

This is from just ONE article about people LEAVING Chicago...
"Between July 1, 2013 to July 1, 2014, the state lost 9,972 people. On the other end, Texas saw the largest population increase adding more than 450,000 people during that time."

And this from an article about Houston...
"Harris County added more residents than any other county in the United States for the second year in a row, the Census Bureau reported Thursday, as thousands of people drawn by job opportunities flocked to the Houston area."

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Not necessarily. They could always build more high rise apartments and condos inside the city limits.
And they are. There are several going up just around my office in 77019.
Great for young professionals, singles, couples w/o kids.
Families tend to like houses with yards. So you either buy used, or build new out in the burbs. And if you have to have new, it's going to be much cheaper out there. Many people can't afford new in town or can't afford to remodel/update or just don't have the wherewithal to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,893,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Why the attitude?
Look around... where is there space to build? This is why they are putting up more and more apartments and town homes where single family houses used to be.

This is from just ONE article about people LEAVING Chicago...
"Between July 1, 2013 to July 1, 2014, the state lost 9,972 people. On the other end, Texas saw the largest population increase adding more than 450,000 people during that time."

And this from an article about Houston...
"Harris County added more residents than any other county in the United States for the second year in a row, the Census Bureau reported Thursday, as thousands of people drawn by job opportunities flocked to the Houston area."

And they are. There are several going up just around my office in 77019.
Great for young professionals, singles, couples w/o kids.
Families tend to like houses with yards. So you either buy used, or build new out in the burbs. And if you have to have new, it's going to be much cheaper out there. Many people can't afford new in town or can't afford to remodel/update or just don't have the wherewithal to do so.
Gee Idk, I figure somewhere in that 600+ square miles of city owned land that there is some unused space that they could expand in without pushing the suburbs farther and farther from the city.

I've never been to Houston, but to me it seems like a larger Indianapolis in a way, a huge amount of city owned land with rather low density and little urbanity throughout the city, very sprawled and suburban. I know full well that Indianapolis has a TON of room to expand within the city proper, Houston having over twice as much land as the city of Chicago and about 3/4 the population also has room to expand, you can't tell me they don't. Houston is the second largest city in the continental United States in terms of square miles.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:41 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,998,382 times
Quote:
Gee Idk, I figure somewhere in that 600+ square miles of city owned land that there is some unused space that they could expand in without pushing the suburbs farther and farther from the city.

I've never been to Houston, but to me it seems like a larger Indianapolis in a way, a huge amount of city owned land with rather low density and little urbanity throughout the city, very sprawled and suburban. I know full well that Indianapolis has a TON of room to expand within the city proper, Houston having over twice as much land as the city of Chicago and about 3/4 the population also has room to expand, you can't tell me they don't. Houston is the second largest city in the continental United States in terms of square miles.
You have almost zero knowledge of Houston, aside from knowing how big it is. There are so many factors that have led to the way the city's housing has been built out, and there's plenty out there to read to gain an understanding.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
You have almost zero knowledge of Houston, aside from knowing how big it is. There are so many factors that have led to the way the city's housing has been built out, and there's plenty out there to read to gain an understanding.
I would ask you, but your screen name suggests you wouldn't be the best one to ask. Regardless, the second largest city in the country having no land inside its city limits to expand is a crock, and I dare you to prove me wrong.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I've never been to Houston

Quote:
I would ask you, but your screen name suggests you wouldn't be the best one to ask. Regardless, the second largest city in the country having no land inside its city limits to expand is a crock, and I dare you to prove me wrong.
4th largest. One below Chicago. 2.2 million vs 2.7 million.

You know where google maps is... take a look for yourself.

If you lived here, you'd realize how different a city it is compared to Chicago or NYC. Yes it's sprawled and that's part of the problem. Instead of a residential dense downtown, it's mostly business and for the most part the city shuts down in the evening. With no rail system, getting around is not easy like it is up there. Ever been to Rochester, NY? It's more like that.

Might be best for you to do a little more research or visit the city before you go around making such strong assumptions.
Let us know when you find 1000+ acres for a new master planned community inside the 610 loop.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:

4th largest. One below Chicago. 2.2 million vs 2.7 million.

You know where google maps is... take a look for yourself.

If you lived here, you'd realize how different a city it is compared to Chicago or NYC. Yes it's sprawled and that's part of the problem. Instead of a residential dense downtown, it's mostly business and for the most part the city shuts down in the evening. With no rail system, getting around is not easy like it is up there. Every been to Rochester, NY? It's more like that.

Might be best for you to do a little more research or visit the city before you go around making such strong assumptions.
Let us know when you find 1000+ acres for a new master planned community inside the 610 loop.
Refer to my above statements, Houston is the SECOND largest city in the country in terms of square miles. I didn't feel the need to reiterate land area since that's what I've been discussing for the past 2-3 posts.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Refer to my above statements, Houston is the SECOND largest city in the country in terms of square miles. I didn't feel the need to reiterate land area since that's what I've been discussing for the past 2-3 posts.
Moot point. Read the comments from others and get back to us.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Moot point. Read the comments from others and get back to us.
Not a moot point when you're trying to correct me on something, follow along, you've been replying to my posts for about a page now.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:36 PM

Still waiting for something other than poor assumptions. Find that open land yet?

Old 01-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for something other than poor assumptions. Find that open land yet?
Deflect and circle when you're losing ground, nice strategy.

Let's see...Houston has been adding over 100,000 residents for every 10 year census, annexation is a big part of that, but since 1999 Houston's annexation procedures have become much more difficult. Houston continued to grow between periods of annexation, that means the city's population continued to increase without the city expanding its borders. If that happens then there must be development in Houston, more houses being built, more apartments and condos going up.

The fact remains Houston's density is still pretty low, 3,662 people per square mile, and since the city's population continues to increase, there must be construction happening somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston