Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 02:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,752 times

Advertisements

Edited to add, I have just been told he is back at the property filming again as we speak!

(Oops did that wrong)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Just one cat with a pair can cause tens of thousands in damage to a house. I've looked at rentals and foreclosures and one I'll never forget was a pristine house that had a single cat that urinated wherever it felt like. The smell was enough to make your eyes sting, and I can't figure out how the family in there put up with it. I can't imagine multiple cats and other animals.

Anyway I researched how to get cat urine out of the house, because no amount of carpet cleaning will remove it. The consensus is you can get maybe 80% of it out, and you have to cover up the rest. You would have to gut the entire house to the studs, and that means the staircase and the subfloor in the 2nd story would have to go. The interior HVAC system would also have to go. Then you would have to paint all of the bones including the concrete foundation with a special paint made for homes that have sustained fire/smoke damage with multiple coats. Then rebuild.

Maybe that would've been ok 2 years go in the loop or west side as a cash builder willing to make some sweat equity but nowadays and in usual markets this would never be a good option for anyone unless they are shady. There are too many homes right now to choose from to put up with this ****. Literally.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:22 PM

70 posts, read 129,881 times
Weird. Something bad happened. Check out this video for the house from just 2 years earlier. It was a nice place. Whoever bought it totally trashed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Et96RbV6k6g

Old 01-15-2016, 08:42 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
There is something 'off' about this realtor. There have been higher offers made on this house but it is pending on the lower one. I know nothing about how short sales work but wouldn't the higher offers have to be forwarded to the legal owner?

This was posted on our area Next Door by a local Realtor:

" I was in the house. It was a mess, but fixable. I submitted an offer significantly higher than list. He seems to have ignored it!! You and I will pay the difference in some Govt program or other to bail out the lender! It is a wonderful program. "

Is he just after his 15 mins of fame perhaps?
He shows up as representing the buyer, too (dual agency should be illegal, but it's not).

If it's true that that realtor submitted a higher offer than list, his was higher than the other offer.

Reason #487 why dual agency should not be allowed.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 01-15-2016 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 12:40 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,569 times
Seems like it was a hoarder's house or something. It's amazing how nice the house looked just a couple of years ago. How in the world can anyone live like that?! The ammonia from the pet urine couldn't possibly be okay to breathe. I'm kind of surprised someone put in a bid for it.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:50 AM

There must be mental issues involved to enable anyone to live like that. If true, they had 12 dogs, six cats and a potbelly pig! I wonder where they went and if they are about to turn another nice house into a tip.

The HOA will not go into details except to say they did everything in their power to deal with this situation. Hmm....

Old 01-16-2016, 09:47 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
There must be mental issues involved to enable anyone to live like that. If true, they had 12 dogs, six cats and a potbelly pig! I wonder where they went and if they are about to turn another nice house into a tip.

The HOA will not go into details except to say they did everything in their power to deal with this situation. Hmm....
HOA's tend to only have jurisdiction on the exterior appearance of the home. My HOA does have a convent that all homes in the neighborhood must maintain at least one fully functional bathroom, how this is enforced I have no idea, but besides that they focus entirely on the exterior of the homes and common areas. It may be better to leave it at that because do we really want HOA's to have the power to look inside our homes in order to enforce interior deed restrictions ?

As far as this home goes you have to wonder what the back yard looked like or if these pets were kept exclusively inside the home ? Maybe they wanted to keep these pets out of the view of the neighbors..

Old 01-16-2016, 05:37 PM

There is a 3 pet max in the deed restrictions so that is probably why they kept them inside. No word from any of the neighbours as far as I know.

I certainly do not want any HOA's poking around inside my house!

Old 01-17-2016, 02:07 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,564 times
The person who lived there should be institutionalized or - sold into slavery and the proceeds given to the bank.

And I dislike banks, mortgage companies and the entire structure of interest first mortgage loans.

So, am I joking? I'm not sure anymore.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:22 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
There was a house where we used to lived that was foreclosed. leo came and threw their stuff out on the lawn.

DH decided we should buy it. We went to look, our agent opened the door but would not enter due to the smell. It was a newish house that was also occupied by 3 big dogs that no neighbor had ever seen. There was no fence. I could only go as far as the entry. DH has had allergies all is life and cannot smell anything.

By the time we could get the hazmat cleaners out there two days later it was sold.

There is a chemical cleaner available from vets, etc that will neutralize the pet odors.

We intended to remove all flooring and sub flooring and replace. The door facings and moldings, too. The new owners just sprayed that stuff, replaced the carpet and never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: