Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:42 PM

9 posts, read 12,242 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job in Houston, in the Galleria area. I am married with a daughter who will be entering her sophomore year of high school. Schools are very important to us. Our daughter may be a gifted student (she certainly thinks she is ), so I'd like a school that challenges her. I won't be able to afford to buy a house for the first year, until I sell my current house. So I'll be renting. But I'm making good money (> $150k), so I'd like to buy a house next year.

Katy and Sugar Land are the areas that people seem to be recommending to me. The areas of Katy that I visited seem to have a nice suburban feel to them. I didn't get a chance to visit Sugar Land during my interviews.

Any other areas I should consider that aren't too bad of a commute to the Galleria area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,407,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
I recently accepted a job in Houston, in the Galleria area. I am married with a daughter who will be entering her sophomore year of high school. Schools are very important to us. Our daughter may be a gifted student (she certainly thinks she is ), so I'd like a school that challenges her. I won't be able to afford to buy a house for the first year, until I sell my current house. So I'll be renting. But I'm making good money (> $150k), so I'd like to buy a house next year.

Katy and Sugar Land are the areas that people seem to be recommending to me. The areas of Katy that I visited seem to have a nice suburban feel to them. I didn't get a chance to visit Sugar Land during my interviews.

Any other areas I should consider that aren't too bad of a commute to the Galleria area?

Memorial and Spring Branch are areas you should also consider. Memorial and Stratford HS's are zoned to that area. Closer in than Katy or SL and is a more established area, mature trees ect...

Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,331,424 times
The area zoned to HISD's Westside HS would be a good location too. It's in west Houston. This would be a reasonable commute.

Homes zoned to Stratford HS in spring branch ISD would be a good fit, too.this would be a reasonable commute.

Katy is great with great schools, but you commute will be looooong. If you do go with Katy, stay east of 99 and south of I10. This will greatly reduce your commute. It's the area zoned to Taylor HS.

Sugarland is great with great schools, and your commute will be better than Katy.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:14 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,418 times
My husband commutes to the galleria, and we live in Sugar Land. The commute is not too bad. We are also zoned for all great schools, but our oldest is in middle school.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:05 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,998,728 times
I'd go for something zoned to Stratford if the only school you need is HS. There are some nice affordable neighborhoods north of I-10 zoned to iffy elementaries. Check out Westwick and Sherwood Oaks. Commute will be about as good as you can get to the Galleria.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,331,424 times
Westwick is a good choice.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:47 AM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,881,286 times
Jersey Village is another good option relatively close-in on the northwest side.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 AM

280 posts, read 379,057 times
homes zoned to Bellaire and Lamar High Schools can also be considered. Commute to work will be nothing at all.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:52 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,664,578 times
I wouldn't do Katy with that commute not worth it with so many great places to live that are closer.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:13 PM

77 posts, read 95,203 times
Stratford, Memorial, Lamar, and Bellaire. Good suggestions.
For the first 2 (Spring Branch ISD) check out homes just north of I-10 for the best values. HAR.com will show the schools your rental is zoned to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston