Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It bothers me so much that any black area is considered a ghetto that has alotta crime.
Well that area is full of Katrina refugees that never left and yes it has alot of crime.

Even a daycare got robbed there last year I think.

You can be PC and move there to proof us wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Well that area is full of Katrina refugees that never left and yes it has alot of crime.

Even a daycare got robbed there last year I think.

You can be PC and move there to proof us wrong.
I'm offended.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:09 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Like I said, if you are renting, it is ok. Buying, is another story.

No kids, no problem. Maybe the schools can get up to speed now that there is a new superintendent.

IIRC, way back in the very late 70's a group I was affiliated with thought that area would eventually become low income. There is a serious amount of low income housing south of 1960 that impacts the whole area. One of the complexes was completed around the time of Katrina. It was designated as low income senior housing, but due to need, it was made available to the folks whose housing in NOLA was destroyed.

aS a renter, I would not have a problem with the area.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solhildaaa View Post
I'm in that area of often and it's not bad. People just need to get out of their bubble ��. Schools don't matter if you don't have kids/don't want a family anytime soon. As long as you have street smarts, you'll be okay. Crime is everywhere so that doesn't really affect me personally.
The area itself is alright. You're close to the freeway which is a plus. There's
some good restaurants as well which is a plus.

This is probably the case more often that not.

Quote:
It bothers me so much that any black area is considered a ghetto that has alotta crime.
They don't know what a ghetto is. I love to take anyone who makes the ghetto claim to SE Wash DC, where I lived during my middle school and early high school years. Fit all of the Houston wards into a 5 mile radius, and you get the idea. Seriously.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:00 PM

25 posts, read 99,119 times
Thanks for all the input. We don't have kids and none planned in the future so I don't care about the School Districts. Crime I worry a little but me and the GF carry and I guess we will have to be more "situational aware". The idea is to buy a condo/townhome.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
I'm offended.
It offend me that armchair liberals with their high income lifestyle living in a different world get offended at something that they basically have zero experience of.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Thread ended. The one has spoken.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
Quote:
I'm offended.
that's too bad..
Attached Thumbnails
FM1960 and I-45 N. area.-813045.jpg  

Old 01-29-2016, 06:10 AM

189 posts, read 417,928 times
I'd look at the demographics/crime mapping sites (including city data). This can give you some real insight into the neighborhoods.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:58 AM

153 posts, read 305,818 times
Until we bought our house, we lived in some townhomes off Kuykendahl. I never felt unsafe in them. There was some crime, but no more than I expected anywhere else -- I wasn't going to leave my doors unlocked or stuff in my car, but I would walk my (small, non-threatening) dogs in the complex at night and had no fear. Would I walk on Kuykendahl? Hell no, but that has more to do with stupid drivers than fear of being attacked.

My car was broken into while I dropped my daughter at daycare once, but that was because I left my purse in the car.

We have some friends who live in some townhomes a little east of where we were and while they'd like to move they don't feel unsafe either.

You're better off staying a little further away from 1960 -- we pretty much had some apartment managers strongly imply our white selves shouldn't live in the apartments closer to 45. But if you stay in the higher income ones, keep away from Cypress Station, and take normal precautions, honestly, it's fine.

I would NOT buy there though. Resale in Spring ISD isn't too great. We bought in Klein ISD because we had a child entering school and it's miles better. If you move a little north and go into Klein, the apartments/townhomes will be nicer.

ETA: We lived in Nantucket Square (now Bellaria) and I would very strongly recommend NOT buying there. The owned side is in terrible disrepair. Our friends live in... Sugar Pine, I think? They're better but they want to move because they are going down some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston