Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 56,057 times

Advertisements

Grand Parkway set to open between Cypress, The Woodlands | abc13.com

What will people be using it for most? It's only really useful for me (I live in Fairfield) to get to Bush airport since I work downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 04:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
SHould help traffic flow in that area...and there is going to be lots of growth soon. Isn't that where the new Fedex Ground distribution center will be?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 PM

11 posts, read 56,057 times
I think the FedEx distribution center will be west of Bridgeland, along the existing section of 99 connecting I-10 and 290.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiebomber View Post
I think the FedEx distribution center will be west of Bridgeland, along the existing section of 99 connecting I-10 and 290.
Just SW of it technically since it will be between West and Longenbaugh, whereas Bridgeland only goes as far south as Tuckerton, but close. I guess to be technical, the FedEx facility will be west of Canyon Lakes West or whatever gets built wedged in between the two. I think this will alleviate congestion, but I think it'll primarily be upper middle class and wealthy individuals using it for long stretches, while everyone else will use it just to go a few exits up faster than they would on normal thoroughfares. The current fare rates are just to high for the average person to justify using it daily; the beltway is way more reasonable cost-wise.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,277 times
should be great for the commute from katy to tomball (HP).

Old 02-02-2016, 09:31 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
It will definitely give suburb-to-suburb commuters an alternative to the Sam Houston Tollway, which is quite congested at rush hour. Of course, the GP will also get congested at some point (probably sooner rather than later), but hopefully noone has an issue with that.

It will give folks in Cypress and SW Montgomery County, or coming in from B/CS, another route to IAH.

Still, as far as being another bypass around the region from the west side to the north side to go north on I-45, you're still forced through The Woodlands and Conroe, which of course already have pretty awful congestion. Should we be planning a new highway from the west side of the GP, up through Montgomery (with its desirable school district) to Huntsville?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:12 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiebomber View Post
Grand Parkway set to open between Cypress, The Woodlands | abc13.com

What will people be using it for most? It's only really useful for me (I live in Fairfield) to get to Bush airport since I work downtown.
Yes you have given me something to celebrate. For more than a year I been desperately waiting for this to open.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:13 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
should be great for the commute from katy to tomball (HP).
also for Katy to Woodlands commuters

Old 02-02-2016, 10:19 AM

672 posts, read 847,279 times
Can't wait for it to open on my side (59)!!

Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Does anyone know the actual rates for these new toll roads? It feels like TXDOT is being intentionally murky on this data right now; can't find anything definitive. You would think a week out from opening this would be very public information, yet I can only find loose information in regards to Segment E (290 to I-10), which has been open for some time now. Katy to Cypress alone is $2.98 one way, so I'd have to imagine traveling to 249 and then to I-45 adds similar amounts for similar distances. If that's the case, this could be roughly $7-10 or maybe more one way, or $14-20 round trip each day.

For most Houstonians, especially during this oil downturn, that's just an unreasonable daily toll cost. I think many people will still elect to use the beltway for long distance drives such as Katy to the Woodlands since it would be significantly cheaper. Now, if you're just talking about going from Katy to Cypress or Tomball to the Woodlands, or any other short distance commute that would likely only be $1 or so one-way, that I think is a cost trade off that many people will be willing to take in order to save some time. I predict that people that aren't upper-middle class or wealthy will notice how much it costs to drive a far distance on it after a few weeks of use, get shocked, and then only use it infrequently for relatively short distance commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston