Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 9,959 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I have recently accepted an offer to work in Houston (downtown- near city hall). The new job is a great opportunity for me so my fiancé and I packing up and moving to the Bayou City this summer. I am going to sell my condo in Boston and would like to buy a house in Houston (maybe rent in our desired neighborhood first). I have been looking through the forums/Zillow and I am still not sure which neighborhood would fit us best. I would greatly appreciate any information or suggestions

A little about us and what we are looking for:
My fiancé and I (30 and 32) currently live in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of Boston in a tiny 550 sqft one-bedroom. The trade off is that we live downtown in a great neighborhood where we can walk to everything including work (neither of us have cars). While this is nice, the cost of living is very high and doing basic things (grocery shopping, laundry) is frustratingly inconvenient. Not that Houston is cheap, but I'm excited to be in a place where my dollar goes a little further. Just moving to Texas is like getting a raise when factoring in the lower cost of living and lack of an income tax (I am aware Houston has relatively high property tax but Massachusetts kills you with taxes).
Frankly, I am done living in the city center and look forward to embracing a more suburban lifestyle (yard for a dog, place to grill, place to park, more space!). In order to start a family in a nice Boston suburb we would have to wait several years and be making a lot more than we do now.

Unfortunately, My fiancé is not as enthusiastic and is dreading moving to Houston. She loves living in the city and is having a hard time picturing herself in Texas. She grew up in a preppy town on the Boston harbor called Hingham, which is quite the contrast (appearance wise) from Houston's suburbs I believe. She is going to be quitting her job in Boston and will be looking for a position in Houston (she works at the corporate HQ of a national retail brand).

I am feeling guilty about uprooting her and I am worried she is going to be unhappy in Houston. Is there a fairly upscale neighborhood, which could allow us to have a suburban style house and also be close to a walk-able downtown area? (Some of the charm of Beacon Hill -Houston style?). Being close to all the cultural offerings of downtown Houston would be a big plus for us. We are planning to come explore the area in March (great time to get out of frozen New England). Our budget is between $650k to $750k tops.

Sorry if that was long-winded! I have been reading a lot about Houston and it looks to be a great, modern city with a lot to offer. I've enjoyed my brief trips there in the past (just have to brace myself for the summer)
Thanks

Last edited by BHiller; 02-12-2016 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,947,222 times
Ok, I went to college in Boston and am a Houston native so I'm gonna try my best to steer ya right. There's nothing in Houston that can quite match the charm of Boston but having said that, I've been away from the city for so long and finally made a trip back and explored. Stay in the loop and maybe live in the Museum district, West University place, Bellaire or near Rice University. These areas offer the closest thing I can think of to that collegiate east coast feel and it's very close (not walkable) to downtown. Make no mistake, Houston can be preppy in its own way. It's just not totally Sperry sporting Vineyard Vines wearing JPress suit style. It's style is more NYC than Boston or even Southern Prep like the Deep South states. It's Black and Tan colors or north face fleece with cowboy boots in winter. Lots of designer styles too.

Last time I went back I was impressed with how much the city has grown. It's truly burgeoning on world class and you can see how much the influx of people from the northeast have influenced the city. At first I thought the city was growing into a second LA of the south kind of place but it's looking more and more east coast to me. Rice University is our Harvard. The school might not have the absolute gold seal of approval outside of Texas but in Houston Rice is pretty much at level with Harvard as far as prestige and it's probably due to the beautiful Ivy League caliber looking campus (I think it resemble a small CA liberal arts school or Stanford more than Ivy). The area around the campus, near all the museums and gorgeous homes is enviable. It's expensive though and if your budget is only 750k you could also try the Memorial area. It's heavily wooded and pretty in the fall/winter but not close to downtown.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:22 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,680,372 times
You might want to look at Oak Forest, it's suburbanish with big trees but you can walk a few places and it's a short drive to everything in the city.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:16 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,144,180 times
Montrose sounds perfect for you two. Lots to do along with the great restaurants and bars. The Heights is also a nice area, but just a tad further out.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,965,137 times
GOOF is probably not going to work for WASP New Englanders that would like a hint of that lifestyle here. I think Museum district and parts of the Kirby area might be more suitable. Montrose might or might not work as part of the area is still a little too edgier.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:33 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,123,539 times
I think radiolibre99's suggestions are good ones, as is Montrose, Museum district and the Heights. I think you really, really need to consider staying inside the Loop as a compromise with your fiancé, and I think you will also be happier as well. Houston is going to be a colossal change from Boston, and one of the few ways you will be able to temper this will be based on where you live.

And, at 30 and 32 years old, you aren't "young(ish)", you are young, at least to me

Welcome!

Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 AM

I forgot about Montrose but that's a bit more hipster and bohemian chic these days rather than a spot for a preppy Bostonian. Upper Kirby is further away from downtown and closer to Midtown. I was suggesting Museum district, Rice area, Or West U because it's close to the rail and you can take that down main St to all the places in downtown.
Overall Houston is too modern and too big to match the quaint charm of Boston. You won't find any area quite like Newbury street.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:19 AM

986 posts, read 1,262,746 times
Are you going to want to use the neighborhood school that your house is zoned to? Even if not now, will you need it in 5-10 years (or will you move neighborhoods/go private)? That is one element that complicates things and you'd be wise to consider it now if it will ever be an issue for you.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:41 AM

I don't want to derail this thread but I've noticed that the biggest question everyone asks is where are the good schools? That's all I hear from parents. Now it's mostly because I don't have kids and don't get this desire to be near a perfect school but unless you're zoned in a neighborhood with gangs and the school clearly looks like its out of the movie Dangerous Minds, just what is the big difference between schools? I know this might elicit a few gasps but I've always felt it was up to the kid himself to show initiative and if the teachers are doing their job then what's the big deal? I figure most city public schools will still offer a kid their resources if he's talented. I just don't get the struggle to find a school that's not HISD. They can't all be that bad.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:45 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,086,801 times
i enjoy reading radios insight on topics and his reply is solid. Mainly advice for your wife.... To me, it all depends how much you embrace the city of Houston. I lived there a few years and enjoyed it but never embraced it fully. To me, Houston has enough flavor and characteristics to resemble other great cities around the U.S.

If your wife doesn't have an open mindset then chances are she'll be miserable. Getting connected to the city will def surprise you bc there's a lot to offer.

It just comes down sometimes to what a person likes. Everybody's different. I prefer where I live now, SoCal or Arizona, but would choose Houston over the northeastern part of the country. I'd also live in Houston over Austin. Chances are you'll enjoy h town if you give it a chance.

Last edited by eastontracks; 02-13-2016 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston