Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 AM

177 posts, read 199,907 times

Advertisements

The system is designed such that what you are "earning" is the future right to your/my children's money. Think about that. It is absolutely NOT your money. Your money is literally going out of your paycheck today, and into the hands of elderly/retired today.

Not only was the system stupid by design because it assumed that the number of working people would always outnumber the retired/older people, I personally find it offensive on principle as wealth redistribution. I don't want my money taken away and given to other people and when I'm old, I still don't want other people's money taken from them and given to me. I'd rather make my own way (or not) in this world instead of depending on the government to raid other people's salaries to support me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,552,878 times
It's like the government is taking out of your paycheck to give to your parents which isn't much, imo.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:35 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
Yeah I'm good with it. Isn't like anyone is getting rich on ss. Not enough is taken out to cause me financial pain either. It's pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM

14 posts, read 13,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Yeah I'm good with it. Isn't like anyone is getting rich on ss. Not enough is taken out to cause me financial pain either. It's pretty small in the grand scheme of things.
It's great that you're ok with your money providing for that. If that's what you want to spend your money on you should be free to do so. Personally, I'd rather my money go towards something else. Don't spend my money for me.

As previously pointed out, it shouldn't be the function of the government to provide for retirement or any of the other numerous social programs that are bankrupting this country.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:46 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
You might want to look at the history behind social security.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/briefhistory3.html

Quote:
One of the first people to propose a scheme for retirement security that is recognizable as a forerunner of modern social insurance was Revolutionary War figure Thomas Paine. His last great pamphlet, published in the winter of 1795, was a controversial call for the establishment of a public system of economic security for the new nation. Entitled, Agrarian Justice, it called for the creation of a system whereby those inheriting property would pay a 10% inheritance tax to create a special fund out of which a one-time stipend of 15 pounds sterling would be paid to each citizen upon attaining age 21, to give them a start in life, and annual benefits of 10 pounds sterling to be paid to every person age 50 and older, to guard against poverty in old-age.
Quote:
Civil War Pensions: America's First "Social Security" Program

Although Social Security did not really arrive in America until 1935, there was one important precursor, that offered something we could recognize as a social security program, to one special segment of the American population. Following the Civil War, there were hundreds of thousands of widows and orphans, and hundreds of thousands of disabled veterans. In fact, immediately following the Civil War a much higher proportion of the population was disabled or survivors of deceased breadwinners than at any time in America's history. This led to the development of a generous pension program, with interesting similarities to later developments in Social Security. (The first national pension program for soldiers was actually passed in early 1776, prior even to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Throughout America's ante-bellum period pensions of limited types were paid to veterans of America's various wars. But it was with the creation of Civil War pensions that a full-fledged pension system developed in America for the first time.)
Quote:
If America was to avoid the siren songs of the "radical calls to action," responsible political leaders would need to offer some persuasive alternatives. As the Depression grew, three general approaches emerged: do nothing; rely on voluntary charity; and expand welfare benefits for those hardest hit by the Depression.
Quote:
The Social Security program that would eventually be adopted in late 1935 relied for its core principles on the concept of "social insurance." Social insurance was a respectable and serious intellectual tradition that began in Europe in the 19th century and was an expression of a European social welfare tradition. It was first adopted in Germany in 1889 at the urging of the famous Chancellor, Otto von Bismarck. Indeed, by the time America adopted social insurance in 1935, there were 34 nations already operating some form of social insurance program(about 20 of these were contributory programs like Social Security).

Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 AM

398 posts, read 390,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik1680 View Post
How can one claim to be Christian, and then come here and judge someone asking for help?
She didn't ask. She had the government steal it from someone else.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin342 View Post
It's great that you're ok with your money providing for that. If that's what you want to spend your money on you should be free to do so. Personally, I'd rather my money go towards something else. Don't spend my money for me.

As previously pointed out, it shouldn't be the function of the government to provide for retirement or any of the other numerous social programs that are bankrupting this country.
What do you propose then? If someone works 40 hours a week but wages don't cover a roof over the head and basic needs? Would you sleep better at night if she and the child were homeless or living in a car as long as you didn't have to see it? Doesn't sound like this is a person sitting on her behind, watching tv and spitting out kids. Perhaps some of the slums and shanty towns of Brazil are more appealing to you?

I hope you continue to be blessed to always be doing great and never have to eat your words about needing help. People never know what curves life will throw them.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:05 AM

465 posts, read 254,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
She didn't ask. She had the government steal it from someone else.
Bye, Felipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston