Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM

558 posts, read 385,336 times

Advertisements

Moving to Houston soon and I want to visit the main attractions in Houston. Where should I be visiting on my weekends off?

32 years old, and into museums, restaurants, theater, clubs/bars, parks and being outdoors.

Thanks for you suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,034 times
Are you familiar with Houston's Museum District? It's located between downtown Houston and the Texas Medical Center District. Many of Houston's prominent art, historical and science museums are located in this area, including the Museum of Natural Science, the Museum of Fine Arts, Museum of Contemporary Arts, Holocaust Museum, Children's Museum and Buffalo Soldiers Museum. It is also located next to Hermann Park, Houston's premier urban park, with reflecting ponds, trails, the Houston Zoo, the IMAX Theater, a golf course and many fountains.

http://www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org

Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,569,183 times
I would say week days the down town tunnel system is pretty cool

Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM

64 posts, read 212,089 times
The Miller Outdoor Theater is great - it's free, you can take your picnic, and it's full of all people from all backgrounds.

Miller Outdoor Theatre (http://www.milleroutdoortheatre.com/default.asp?id=110 - broken link)

Eat at Niko Niko's a fun, cheap Greek place directly north up the street (well, about 3 miles but it is right up the street).

Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,619 times
The NASA (Johnston) Space Center is really cool -- it's only a few dollars more to buy an annual pass than a 1 day admission ticket (around $20). The annual pass includes parking but for the 1st visit, parking is $5. Most of the attractions are included in the annual pass or day ticket except extras like a ride simulator. I like the tour to the area where they're working on the components for the international space station -- try to go weekdays to see the staff actually working.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
When ya coming down? If it is in March then dont miss the Houston Livestock and Rodeo.

See ya there !!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:19 PM

124 posts, read 700,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Moving to Houston soon and I want to visit the main attractions in Houston. Where should I be visiting on my weekends off?

32 years old, and into museums, restaurants, theater, clubs/bars, parks and being outdoors.

Thanks for you suggestions!
Checkout the following:
The Museum District (museums, art galleries)
Montrose (restaurants, clubs, bars)
Theater District Downtown (theater, restaurants, clubs, bars)
Rice Village (restaurants)
The Galleria (restaurants)
Midtown (clubs, bars, restaurants)
Hermann Park
Memorial Park

Also, go to the following:
Houston, Texas

Visit Houston Texas - Tourism, Houston Events, Special Offers, Info & More! - Greater Houston CVB

Information about Houston

Houston - News The Houston Press is informative about all the clubs, bars, restaurants, and about the arts & cultural activities within the area.

Free Houston Newcomer and Relocation Guides: Houston newcomer information

Welcome to Houston!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Houston's not really a tourist-friendly city, but you're moving here and there's tons of stuff to do, plenty to keep you busy for many weekends to come.

To add to the above suggestions,
Fresh Arts Coalition
Spacetaker.org | Culture when you want it.
ArtsHound - Houston’s Ultimate Guide to Arts and Culture
More ideas in this thread: Any Good Places To See Nature Off The Beatn Path

Go visit the Flower Man sometime. He'll be happy to see you!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:08 AM

558 posts, read 385,336 times
Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the feedback...looking forward to seeing these cool places.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:06 PM

61 posts, read 351,360 times
Dang It, You Guys Whats wrong the the San Jacinto Monument. I mean you get to see a real battleship, the largest monument in US, plus history of where Texas won an epic battle for its independence (yes Tx was as a NATION at the time) ALL-IN-ONE-VISIT

Its just mindbottling how this great historical site keeps eluding tourists and chamber commerce folk alike. In addition, the history of this site is directly connected to the ALAMO, but for some strange reasons it lacks the attention. Go figure

Just comments and/or opinions from an average citizen who has lived in Houston for over 35 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston