Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,005 times

Advertisements

Hi! (I posted this message in the San Antonio forum as well.) This is my very first post on this forum so I will give you a little background information. My husband is from San Antonio and we have lived here in Houston since we graduated from Sam Houston in Huntsville Texas. I have lived here (grew up in Northfield, now own townhome at 610 and Stella link) all my life. My husband hates Houston-says the traffic is ridiculous, in-town housing is unaffordable, suburbs are too far, etc. The idea of moving to SA has been lingering since we got married and now that we have 8 month old twin boys, I am actually leaning more towards this city than before. Recently there have just been so many shootings in Houston and the other day there was one at the Randall's that I go to when I want to "splurge"! I just don't feel safe here anymore and we can not afford to move to West U or areas comparable to that on a teacher salary.

I love the slow-paced, family feel that I get when I'm in SA but while I'm we're a little past our partying days, we're not quite ready to move out to where it will take us 40 minutes to get to decent nightlife. Also, I grew up being exposed to much diversity in terms of ethnicity, food, entertainment, culture, etc. It is pretty important to me that my children are exposed to these things as well. What is the cultural scene like in SA and what are some areas you can live in that are less than 30 minutes away from these cultural events, non-chain dining, etc.? I may be asking too much, but it's a big decision to make with two kids in tow and I want to be sure we make the right one.

Also, my husband teaches and the average salary here is around $42,000. Is that pretty consistent with SA salaries? He also does freelance writing for an alternative newssource we have here called the Houston Press. He writes the night life column for them. Do you think there is much demand for a job like that in San Antonio? I know I bombarded you guys with questions. Sorry! Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston