Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga gal in tx now View Post
People are respectful of privacy and probably would appreciate not knowing the sexual bent of anyone - gay or straight. If you feel the need to wear your sexuality on your sleeve, I might think twice about coming to Houston. No one really cares but no one really wants to know either.
Separate but equal is never equal! So I take it you never take your kids out in public, after all it proves you are str8 and you would never wear your sexuality on your sleeve? Be careful doing that they could take your kids from you and say you are a bad parent. Imagine that losing your kids for not being honest, sounds like a better reason to lose kids than being honest don't you think? Oh yeah and never hold hands in public, and never have a picture of the one you love displayed.......... Is that enough said or do you still not get it? All of those things are a far cry from rubbing it in another persons face, do you also support the demonization of str8s who rub their sexuality in others face? I don't support anyone shaming another for being who they are myself!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowdefender View Post
Separate but equal is never equal! So I take it you never take your kids out in public, after all it proves you are str8 and you would never wear your sexuality on your sleeve? Be careful doing that they could take your kids from you and say you are a bad parent. Imagine that losing your kids for not being honest, sounds like a better reason to lose kids than being honest don't you think? Oh yeah and never hold hands in public, and never have a picture of the one you love displayed.......... Is that enough said or do you still not get it? All of those things are a far cry from rubbing it in another persons face, do you also support the demonization of str8s who rub their sexuality in others face? I don't support anyone shaming another for being who they are myself!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Hi Folks,

I was wondering what is the Gay Scene like in Houston. How is the Gay Community. How tolerant is Houston? Being the 4th largest city in the country, I would expect it to be pretty liberal, although in Texas?

Any comments
Gay life is pretty lively and you'll see gay men and women all over town displaying affection openly without fear so the city is pretty accepting...

Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Accepting for Texas is different than accepting for California. Having been to Houston many times, similar to Chicago, outside it's "gay districts" it wouldn't seem like a welcoming place.

It's usually exaggeration by how gay-friendly a place is by locals to make it sound more coast-like than it really is...or to break some old stereotype of the city that is still largely true.

Only truly gay-friendly places I've been..that I would recommend someone gay moves if they want to be totally comfortable. NYC, LA, SF, Boston, Portland, Seattle...and surprisingly, Minneapolis.

Places where acceptance is also found outside the gay district...and even those cities, certain areas should still be avoided.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Accepting for Texas is different than accepting for California. Having been to Houston many times, similar to Chicago, outside it's "gay districts" it wouldn't seem like a welcoming place.

It's usually exaggeration by how gay-friendly a place is by locals to make it sound more coast-like than it really is...or to break some old stereotype of the city that is still largely true.

Only truly gay-friendly places I've been..that I would recommend someone gay moves if they want to be totally comfortable. NYC, LA, SF, Boston, Portland, Seattle...and surprisingly, Minneapolis.

Places where acceptance is also found outside the gay district...and even those cities, certain areas should still be avoided.
Oh well, so long as you've been to Houston a few times.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Oh well, so long as you've been to Houston a few times.
Why, one day we might even have a gay mayor in Houston!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Why, one day we might even have a gay mayor in Houston!
Nah, never happen. Ask RonnieJonez. He's been here a few times.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Houston doesn't really even have a gay district. Gays are spread out all over the city.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Nah, never happen. Ask RonnieJonez. He's been here a few times.
Impressive for Houston. Most anti-gay mentality is also against gay men - lesbians seem to be forgotten. That's an entirely different topic.

If you people want to believe Houston is as tolerant as say, San Francisco or Seattle when it comes to gay acceptance, that is your right. Just don't be surprised that most others don't share that belief.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Impressive for Houston. Most anti-gay mentality is also against gay men - lesbians seem to be forgotten. That's an entirely different topic.

If you people want to believe Houston is as tolerant as say, San Francisco or Seattle when it comes to gay acceptance, that is your right. Just don't be surprised that most others don't share that belief.
or Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston