Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM

407 posts, read 1,735,773 times

Advertisements

Whatever you do, do not start feeding it! Troubles start when gators lose their fear of people or when they associate people with food. Growing up in Tampa (in the 70's) our house was beside a canal. Just about every body of water in Florida has a gator in it. Our gator started out as a baby and the local kids started feeding it marshmallows (not me of course!) . When it was full grow it had no fear of people and it had to be taken away.

When I was at UF our crew team rowed on the lake where animal control dumped "nuisance" and aggressive gators. We saw HUGE gators, constantly. We had no dock so we waited into the water to get into the boats and yet we all lived and no one lost any limbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM

14 posts, read 37,230 times
I fully agree....but I think it is too late. Last May when I saw him I went down to the dock...it came straight for me...not agressive, just in way, I think he was already accustomed to being fed by humans. He stayed in our canal for over a week. What was really creepy...as soon as he heard kids, boats, dogs, he'd just sink and disappear and then re-surface in another section of the canal. You can be sure, my two Goldens will never ever swim in there again! Here's a pic of him!
Attached Thumbnails
Alligators - fresh water - how far from Houston?-seabrook-gator-6-28-07-011.jpg  

Old 05-29-2008, 04:40 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Actually, no surprise there haven't been any attacks there. Alligators are generally timid towards humans, unless you're messing with a nest or babies - then again, what animal wouldn't attack in that situation?

Crocodiles on the other hand, different story altogether when it comes to random attacks on humans... and fortunately there are none around here.

Stone is right. Gators are generally scared of humans, believe it or not. I have swam in bayous a number of times, with gators just 20-30 feet away, and never had a problem. Just don't pester them. In fact, they scatter and move away most times. OF COURSE, I would never condone children getting around them like that!

Gators will easily go 100 miles or more inland off the Texas gulf coast. I have seen them up in the woods, too.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times
Default Gators in Katy

[i] had been watching a couple in George Bush Park along the Buffalo Bayou lately but the other day I saw one of the dead floting upside down with it's legs cut off and a string tied around it. I was very mad because me being from Phoenix I thought of them as a novelty.

I don't think of alligators as a menace. Do people see them as a problem? if so why? also are they considered game? Is it legal to kill one in a park like George Bush Park?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 PM

14 posts, read 37,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
[i] had been watching a couple in George Bush Park along the Buffalo Bayou lately but the other day I saw one of the dead floting upside down with it's legs cut off and a string tied around it. I was very mad because me being from Phoenix I thought of them as a novelty.

I don't think of alligators as a menace. Do people see them as a problem? if so why? also are they considered game? Is it legal to kill one in a park like George Bush Park?
How very sad They do make me nervous with all the kids and pets around...but I sure don't want to see them killed. I spoke with a friend of mine who works for the police dept. here in town and unless the gator is acting aggressivly and being a nuisance, they won't send WildLife, Fish and Game out. Even then, I was told they would try to relocate it, rather than kill it.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I have a Gator at my dock on Lake Livingston. I just layed on my belly and watched him for a long time. He never made any aggressive move towards me. I guess he was about 3' long which I suppose is small.

On weekends there are lots of people swimming right next to the dock but I think the Gator moves on when people are around. I also bet most those people have no idea a Gator hangs out there.

One neighbor said there is a whole family of them living under the bridge inside Cape Royale.

I like watching him. I find him fasinating.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Ok, you must think I'm nuts, but this is an issue in Florida. With suburbs going further out and the prevalence of canals, small lakes, these toothy ba$tard$ are in fact there...and every once in a while, there are run-ins with humans. (There's a current thread under "Florida.")

Now, I've seen the map of the alligator population and it does extend to Texas. Also, Houston is called The Bayou City.

That being said, how far does one have to go from Houston metro before alligators in small bodies of fresh water become sort of a "given?" Or, in fresh water, such as creeks and lakes, are they removed and relocated as the population starts to encroach into the hinterlands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3triever View Post
How very sad They do make me nervous with all the kids and pets around...but I sure don't want to see them killed. I spoke with a friend of mine who works for the police dept. here in town and unless the gator is acting aggressivly and being a nuisance, they won't send WildLife, Fish and Game out. Even then, I was told they would try to relocate it, rather than kill it.

R3triever, in the case you refer to, it is sad. That was obviously not handled well. However, I lived in Florida, on a canal no less, and robertpolyglot's question is a very valid one. Florida decided that they didn't want to kill gators anymore, and the population got way out of control. Now the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission allows for hunting. Per their website, they receive over 18,000 calls per year for what they call "nuisance" alligators (setting up shop in someone's yard or pond, threatening livestock, pets, or humans) and almost half of those are removed (they are not "relocated", btw, they are killed).

I have lived in Houston, in various parts, almost my entire life. As a kid, I grew up on a creek and spent summers with my best friend's family boating on Lakes Conroe and Houston. I have never seen an alligator, wild, in Houston. I don't doubt people have, there's no disputing that they are here--but it is definitely not like Florida at all in that respect.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 14,354 times
During the past few years (in the Summer months), I have been seeing more and more "baby" alligators in the South Shore Harbour Marina water. Just this past summer, a neighbor pulled out a 12 footer. As others mentioned, jet skiiers and swimmers frequent these waters... creepy.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
they are in houston lake. houston now has got 2 legged alligators too since katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston