Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 06:10 PM

277 posts, read 304,612 times

Advertisements

Relocation is still on the table...dh's office will be near Westpark Tollway and 8?...looking like we'll need to find a move in ready home to avoid two moves (we really can't with our animals)...we might have ONE day to look at areas...new or established...here are my 'wants'

1. low property tax (relative to areas like Sugar Land)
2. bike/walking trails in subdivision (is this a new thing or do older ones have these as well?)
3. want to be more rural than built up...I can go to the grocery store from my house now and not hit a red light...I LOVE that! Fine with a 70' lot

So, with those in mind...

Richmond, Fulshear, Rosenberg, Katy, Cinco Ranch, any other areas? Thought of going north, but am I wrong thinking traffic would be awful? Many commute from Woodlands...but that seems way too far and built up? I have never been to Houston, so have no clue and it's hard to get a feel for subdivisions...trying to narrow it down to 3-4 areas so dh can hit them in one day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 06:41 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Extended stay hotel, storage facility for belongings, buy yourself some time to find a place you will be happy living in.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:44 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,789 times
Above poster is correct. Don't rush into a house if you only have one day.

Or rent for a year

Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 PM

150 posts, read 218,108 times
Need budget & max commute time.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
Relocation is still on the table...dh's office will be near Westpark Tollway and 8?...looking like we'll need to find a move in ready home to avoid two moves (we really can't with our animals)...we might have ONE day to look at areas...new or established...here are my 'wants'

1. low property tax (relative to areas like Sugar Land)
2. bike/walking trails in subdivision (is this a new thing or do older ones have these as well?)
3. want to be more rural than built up...I can go to the grocery store from my house now and not hit a red light...I LOVE that! Fine with a 70' lot

So, with those in mind...

Richmond, Fulshear, Rosenberg, Katy, Cinco Ranch, any other areas? Thought of going north, but am I wrong thinking traffic would be awful? Many commute from Woodlands...but that seems way too far and built up? I have never been to Houston, so have no clue and it's hard to get a feel for subdivisions...trying to narrow it down to 3-4 areas so dh can hit them in one day...
Lower property taxes equal older communities, because the newer ones are going to have the high MUD taxes. Pecan Grove pops into mind.

Richmond, Fulshear, Rosenberg, lower Katy Ranch are all a decent commute distance. The Woodlands would be horrible.

You didn't give a budget, so it's hard to name communities.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Under 450k...2500-3000 sq. feet...we will not move twice..done that before...just can't do it again, we're not military but boy we sure live like it, been to Atlanta, Seattle, Memphis, Alabama, Colorado, and the final spot is TX...a home is a home is a home...for me peace of mind is being settled..no way we can keep 3 cats/3 dogs in an extended stay, cats would run away, dogs would be miserable..when you've had as many homes as we have you really become a pro at what you like/don't like...Seattle commute to Microsoft was 2.5 hours each way and we only lived 38 miles out of Redmond...commutes don't scare us. Plus he'll just have a 4 day workweek...so earlier in later out might save some time.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:03 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,279 times
Do you have children? Are schools a concern?

Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Do you have children? Are schools a concern?
No, homeschooled...last one will be a senior this year...other two are in college. We plan to be here for a good long time and school qualities change, so not that concerned on school area...just want a nice, pretty, place to walk the dogs, keep fit, and eventually welcome all the grandkids we hope to have one day

Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
.we will not move twice..done that before...just can't do it again

.for me peace of mind is being settled.
I feel the same way and always assumed it was the minority view. We've had had a lot of Interstate moves as well. Each time, we've found a home on our one and only trip out to a new location (though we usually gave ourselves an entire weekend, not just one day). I've moved into 2 homes sight unseen where my husband did all the house hunting himself. I do the vast majority of the work for a move and just don't want the added stress of being somewhere temporary or renting.

We've owned one home that I really and truly loved. I still think about it occasionally. If only I could pick it up and take it to every city we lived in.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 PM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Everybody's opinion of a good neighborhood and bad neighborhood is different
If you talk to "ipuck" he'll tell you that the only good neighborhoods in Houston are outside of Houston because he doesn't like diversity

I'm serious, I've had people tell me an area is bad and I few years later I figure that those people are just scared of anybody that is darker than a person with a tan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston