Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times

Advertisements

While the second statement is very true, you have to think about it from a resale perspective if you ever plan on moving. The subdivisions that are next door which are zoned to the more desirable schools have appreciated more and have been easier sells than those in Canyon Lakes West who are zoned to the HS/MS that MiraMesa is zoned to. Yes, they had a higher cost of entry but the increases have been much higher and faster % wise in CCL, Bridgeland and Towne Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn1188 View Post
I was hoping the Walmart project was going to be cancelled but I guess not after reading that newsletter. I spoke to the sales manager and she said they are also building another elementary school in the miramesa neighborhood. This should surely affect the zoning lines in the future.

I do not have any kids right now, but planning to a few years down the road. In my personal opinion, I think how the parents raise the kid will determine if their education would be successful or not. Again, this is my opinion because of what my wife and I went through growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 9,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
While the second statement is very true, you have to think about it from a resale perspective if you ever plan on moving. The subdivisions that are next door which are zoned to the more desirable schools have appreciated more and have been easier sells than those in Canyon Lakes West who are zoned to the HS/MS that MiraMesa is zoned to. Yes, they had a higher cost of entry but the increases have been much higher and faster % wise in CCL, Bridgeland and Towne Lake.
Haudi,

That is very true. We did talk about that, but at the moment have no plans in moving. Currently it is just the two of us and the house we are thinking about purchasing has more than enough space. If we do ever decides to move, it will most likely be due to the crime rate increasing around the area.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:08 AM

116 posts, read 170,698 times
Quote:
My brother and his wife are thinking about moving to this area, and wanted to see if any of you guys are currently living in this area? If so, what is your opinion on it? We have been trying to look at future projects around the area, but could not really find any. I know they were planning to build a walmart supercenter, but decided to cancel the project.
Hmm, wasn't aware it was cancelled. It would be great if they followed Towne Lake's and Bridgeland's lead and focus on upscale shops, restuarants, professional and office buildings. There more than enough strip malls and walmarts around.

Where did you get the info about the superwalmart being cancelled?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I was hoping the Walmart project was going to be cancelled but I guess not after reading that newsletter. I spoke to the sales manager and she said they are also building another elementary school in the miramesa neighborhood. This should surely affect the zoning lines in the future.

I do not have any kids right now, but planning to a few years down the road. In my personal opinion, I think how the parents raise the kid will determine if their education would be successful or not. Again, this is my opinion because of what my wife and I went through growing up.
I agree with you on the schools. The High Schools in this area are fairly new, haven been built in the last decade or so. Parent involvement and community involvement has a great impact on the school. I was impressed that Cy Springs recieved a MIT grant a couple of years ago. With the opening of Cy Park, Cy Springs should be more diverse, which should hopefully improve its school rating. It is unfortunate how economics impacts grades, but it does. Also, another impact to grades are students whose first language is not English.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:01 AM

Just learned that two great movie theaters are coming. Star Cinema Grill will be in Miramesa NE corner of West and Fry and Moviehouse & Eatery will be in Cypress Creek Lakes near the HEB on Fry off of Tuckerton. Both will open Spring to Summer 2017.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:12 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
The Walmart is back on as per the newest site plan.

http://www.read-king.com/sites/defau...Miramesa_1.pdf

Old 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM

293 posts, read 756,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
The Walmart is back on as per the newest site plan.

http://www.read-king.com/sites/defau...Miramesa_1.pdf

They just put up a Miramesa Town Center/ Walmart sign on the Northwest corner of Fry and West rd. I would of really preferred a Super Target but that's just me.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydogs1 View Post
They just put up a Miramesa Town Center/ Walmart sign on the Northwest corner of Fry and West rd. I would of really preferred a Super Target but that's just me.
There aren't many Super Targets in Northern Houston vs. more populated Southern Houston. I remember that Target announced abandoning the Super Target concept a few years ago for their expand grocery section in plain-Target stores. I doubt they would build anymore, even in Texas. City Target is all the rage right now!

My cousins in Los Angeles never heard about Super Target but they have Great Target. I explained that Super Targets are plain-Target stores with a grocery section added to the left/right which takes about a 1/3rd of the expanded store (based from my experiences in the Cinco Ranch Super Target). California zoning regulations must not allow Super Targets for some reason. I've been to Walmart Super Centers, but those were in the deserts (Palmdale and Palm Springs area).

Old 04-17-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
My brother and his wife are thinking about moving to this area, and wanted to see if any of you guys are currently living in this area? If so, what is your opinion on it? We have been trying to look at future projects around the area, but could not really find any. I know they were planning to build a walmart supercenter, but decided to cancel the project.
Not sure what your brother decided, but I would recommend talking to the Sheriff's office for crime statistics, you can check the crimereports.com website for stats too. As for the schools, I recommend checking the CFISD and US News Reports websites for actual stats. All of the High Schools in Cypress are nationally recognized: Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District | Texas | Best High Schools | US News

Of the Top 10 High Schools in Texas, none of them are in Cypress, Katy, or Sugarland ISDs, but 4 of them are in Houston's ISD. Top Texas High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

Cypress Springs HS is more economically and racially diverse than Cypress Ranch. Not sure how that makes it less desirable than Cypress Ranch or Cypress Woods. Check out the school websites. Talk to the principles. Then make an informed decision about where your children should go. Two additional High Schools are being built. Cypress Park on 529 not far from the Grand Parkway. That school will zone some subdivisions out of Cypress Springs to CyPark. And there will be a HS in Bridgeland that I think is scheduled for the 2017-2018 school term.

All of the schools are relatively new, in that they were opened in the last 10-15 years. Parents and community involvement make the difference in schools.

Cypress and NW Harris county was NEVER on my radar. I had my mind fixed on S Katy, near George Bush Park. I liked the look and feel of the area, there is a good mix of well established neighborhoods with newer communities and I frankly love the W Houston area. However, 8 years ago, I moved to New England for work and when I returned to Houston, the area I wanted to build my house was built out and I didn't want to live in Fulshear. I dabbled in Richmond a bit and was prodded to check out Cypress. I am glad I did. Cypress doesn't have that cohesive feeling that S Katy has, but I like the look and feel of the MPCs N of Longenbaugh, so I purchased here and I don't regret it. I loved the Hike and Bike trail in Terry Hershey Park and George Bush park. Pct 3 is constructing a similar one along Langham creek that should be completed in the next 5 years. And although the Dave and Meg park doesn't rival George Bush's park, it is still a nice slice of nature to have in my back yard. The commercial development that TL, CCL, Bridgeland, and Miramesa are building are bringing in quality restaurants and higher end shopping to the area. And if the plans that TowneLake, Bridgeland, and Elyson pan out, there will be a hub of office buildings built along 290 and the Grand Parkway.

At the end of the day -- do your research, drive the area at night, during the day, on the weekends. Get out and walk the area. Come out during one of the community events. Go to the community Center and poke around.

Happy house hunting.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydogs1 View Post

Agree, I prefer Target to Walmart too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston