Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 AM

30 posts, read 68,950 times

Advertisements

Before folks jump down this thread regarding safety, etc... I'm only running the gas piping. I'm not touching the actual gas connections as I'll leave those to the professionals. But I wanted to have all the piping ready for the plumber when he comes in.

So I'm planning to run the gas line to where my firepit is going to be. I plan to do the digging and burying the gas line about 18-24" deep. The question is where should I run the gas line from?

(1) I had the builder installed a gas line for my outdoor grill. Splitting it off this connection is much easier/closer to the firepit.

Or

(2) From the main gas connection. This is obviously is further and will require more work.

Is there any adverse effect to run it from (1)? My thinking is that it shouldnt impact it at all. But just wanted to hear what folks think.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
I think you need to pull a permit before digging but I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:15 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Hmmm...

I don't know of any plumbing company who would agree to tap into your "work". I understand, I am not saying your work is not good, it just exposes them to liability. If you do lay the pipe, do not bury it, leave it exposed for them to inspect.

If you live in the unincorporated areas, you may not even need to get it permitted, but the gas company may want to install the tap. The city of Houston requires permits, however, the homeowner is allowed to do the work, it just needs to be inspected, and tested. You can buy the test kits, I think they used to cost about $75.00. I did my own gas work in my house, but the city had to inspect it. No big deal, just pay the permit fees and schedule inspections. The inspector is good, he/she is there to help, they will offer free advice, easy to work with... usually.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,037 times
You shouldn't need to bury this more than 12" deep. Split this off of where you have the grill gas line. Have 2 open/close valves, one for the grill and one for the fire pit. That's what I did and it works perfect.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:37 PM

30 posts, read 68,950 times
Thanks all.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:59 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_j11 View Post
Before folks jump down this thread regarding safety, etc... I'm only running the gas piping. I'm not touching the actual gas connections as I'll leave those to the professionals. But I wanted to have all the piping ready for the plumber when he comes in.

So I'm planning to run the gas line to where my firepit is going to be. I plan to do the digging and burying the gas line about 18-24" deep. The question is where should I run the gas line from?

(1) I had the builder installed a gas line for my outdoor grill. Splitting it off this connection is much easier/closer to the firepit.

Or

(2) From the main gas connection. This is obviously is further and will require more work.

Is there any adverse effect to run it from (1)? My thinking is that it shouldnt impact it at all. But just wanted to hear what folks think.

Thanks.
Actually just hire a plumber to come in and install a tap on the meter, then run copper tubing about 8" - 12" underground and out to the fire pit. Then install another tap with hardware for connecting the burner.

^ this is what I did and plumber just tied it in.

Don't think you need pipe.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:54 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
When we had our gas grill installed for $50, the installer was probably not a plumber. He turned off the gas meter, installed a tap in one of the outlets on the meter, ran a copper line down below ground and plastic tubing around the house to the grille post. There he changed it to copper again and tied into the grille inlet. The installer only buried it a few inches below the ground as our sprinkler installer cut it while they were digging. The sprinkler guy had a repair kit and took care of the splice right away. He said they accidentally cut the plastic gas tubing quite often! Luckily I know where it is located so I don't cut it again.

Installing the tap is the "dangerous" part. I do wish ours was in the back yard and not at the meter, which is in the front of our fence. I have to walk all the way around the front of the house to turn on the gas grille when we use it. I would have paid extra to have a plumber move the shut off valve to the back yard if possible.

I had to replace the copper line in the grille post earlier this year and it was not bad, but since it already had the shut off valve, it was easy to do.

Good luck with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston