U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 06:39 AM

63 posts, read 38,760 times

Advertisements

Hello. Wife, expected baby, and myself (first time home buyers) are looking into buying a home in the Pearland/Rosharon/Manvel/Iowa Colony area. Ideally, based on what the mortgage lender told me a good price range for me would be less than 200k. We are currently in need of a home located with quick access to 288, preferably in the southern reaches of Pearland. We primarily have our eyes set on areas such as Sterling Lakes, Lakes of Savannah and Rodeo Palms.

I guess my question is, any information on Sterling Lakes/Lakes of Savannah/Rodeo Palms? Such as taxes, HOA's, crime rate, etc.. Is it a nice place to raise a family. And secondly, any other suggestions for subdivisions in our price range (less than 200k)? We're kind of looking at Southfork, Silver Lake, etc. We would prefer areas that are south of 518 if possible. Any other subdivisions I'm missing out on checking out? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 AM

2,164 posts, read 2,337,708 times
Southfork would be a good place to find a home.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:33 AM

63 posts, read 38,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Southfork would be a good place to find a home.
Thanks. Will look into it.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM

201 posts, read 745,335 times
Hop onto HAR and do an area search, adding in the criteria you like, such as price less than $200K. It'll give you ideas for places to look. For taxes, look on the Brazoriacad web site at any houses you're interested in to see the exact taxes, and tax rate, for that house. People on the internet will try to help you but are often wrong. Your best bet is to go to the source (the county tax office web site I just mentioned).

I would check into Silverlake. It's fully built out and established, so property taxes will be lower than neighborhoods that still have homes being built.

I've driven through Rodeo Palms and didn't like it, mainly because it's so isolated. It was originally supposed to be a high end community that never took off, which is why you'll see a few homes there that are much nicer than the rest.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:28 AM

94 posts, read 73,757 times
Silverlake, Rodeo Palms, and other areas all have homes around 200K. They come and go quickly. What time frame are you looking at on moving? Do you have to sell your current home first? I'm working with a buyer now where we landed a nice home in the Silverlake area for right at 200K. I know you have a kid in the oven so schools don't matter as much today but they will in 5 years. If you plan on being in your home that long, you should research schools. A realtor can help you with all of this information and for a buyer it cost you nothing.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,814,137 times
Make sure you consider the school district since you have a child on the way. Pearland ISD has the best schools. I would definitely consider Silverlake, Southdown, and Sunrise Lake if you must be close to 288. Shadow Creek Ranch and Southern Trails is nice but I'm not sure you will find anything around 200K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston