Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:52 PM

13 posts, read 11,855 times

Advertisements

Currently renting in the Heights. Starting a family. Would like larger lots with a yard (i.e. not the Heights). Looking to buy...leaning towards Oak Forest but concerned about the commute from TMC for the wife (630am-5pm usually 4 days per week). Also concerned about the commute to Humble if we move closer to TMC (7am-5pm usually).

Anyway...any thoughts? Budget is $750K to $1M ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 02:42 PM

270 posts, read 402,287 times
Don't have a recommendation for an area, but as a parent with a couple of really young kids consider carefully whether you buy in a "midway" area (like you are looking for) or maybe you purchase so that one of you is near where your kids will be during the day to handle kid issues (and the other one signs up to the longer commute).

Depending on your situation (whether you use a nanny or day care, if relatives are nearby, whether you let that nanny drive with your kid, how flexible the jobs are, etc.) it can really be a bear for both of you to be 25+ miles from your kids when issues come up, and they come up all...the...time.

Without really thinking about it we purchased 5 minutes from where my wife worked and I did a 50 minute commute because we liked that area and I don't mind driving. I'm glad we did. Even though we had a nanny when my wife was working, she often needed to pop out of work for an hour to do a pediatrician visit, etc. That would have sucked if we both were 30 minutes away.

Everyone's situation is different of course. A really *good* nanny can handle a lot of that but it's something you will want to think about when budgeting because they are going to cost more.

Just something to think about. I never thought about it when I was buying and wish someone had told me.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:51 PM

26,145 posts, read 21,357,522 times
Is the commute from the heights to tmc bad for 6:30am start time? I'd much rather be in oak forest or the heights with a top budget of 1mm instead of humble

Old 04-16-2016, 02:55 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,502,384 times
If your budget is really 750k to 1mill you could live close the beltway on the west side take the beltway to humble and take I10 to 610 to Fannin at 6:30 there should be less traffic than at 7 to 7:15

Old 04-16-2016, 03:08 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,662,468 times
The morning commute to TMC won't be bad from Oak Forest but will be traffic coming home at 5 but that's true anywhere. If your kid goes to Oak Forest Elementary they have the After 3 program and they can stay as late as 6:30. My wife commutes to Humble from Oak Forest and it isn't bad.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 11,855 times
Thanks. I think the "midway" argument is a good one. I would probably sign up for the commute because my job is essentially week-on, week-off.

Budget is 750K to 1M but could possibly stretch that upward a bit depending on circumstances.

We like the new construction in Oak Forest even with the next door homes being a bit dated. When looking at other places (Meyerland, Bellaire, etc..) closer to TMC...it seems there is not a lot of newer construction...which we like.

Looking forward to any further thoughts. If not Oak Forest...and we need to look closer to TMC...Meyerland/Bellaire?? I'll have to look into the flooding issue which I don't know too much about.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:31 PM

5,837 posts, read 6,105,710 times
I think there's sometimes a perception of the Heights to TMC being a short commute because the distance in miles is short. But, you have to keep in mind that driving crowded surface streets is not always quick and easy. We lived in the Heights back in the 1990's and my husband would commute daily to Baylor College of Medicine, and it often took him 30 minutes just to go those few miles. I believe twice in the 3 years we lived there, he was unable to cross over Allen Parkway because it was flooded, and so had to turn around and come back home.

I'm not saying the Heights or points slightly North are bad commutes at all; just that they are not the cakewalk some perceive them to be, particularly in the evening, as chris_ut mentions above.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:48 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,662,468 times
If buying in OF try to look in section 1 which is the area bounded by Ella to the east, Oak Forest Dr to the west, 43rd to the North. It has the most new construction and will also give you the shortest commute time as you can jump right on to 610.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:53 PM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,880,887 times
You've already identified the best area (Oak Forest).

Old 04-16-2016, 10:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,998,382 times
Oak Forest is probably your best option. If looking closer to TMC, Woodside would be a nice option. The cheapest homes in Southside Place might be in budget too, but would probably have to be updated to taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: