Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,284 times

Advertisements

How is the job market for C, C++ and System level programming skill set in Houston?
I know that Houston has lot of jobs in Oil & Energy. Will it be difficult to find a job in Oil & Enery with 10 years of S/W experience with above skill set?
What are the major s/w companies I should be looking in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,070 times
I'm not sure about C/C++. I mean I know it is still a valuable skill for lower level programming and gaming, but you don't see as many job offers for it. I used to do excruciatingly mind-numbing legacy C/C++ maintenance (it was the job that was mind-numbing, not C++), and left that for a chance to learn .NET because I was becoming pigeonholed. Also huge layoffs helped me make up my mind faster about that decision.

I know nothing about oil and gas, but there are a few game studios in Houston, Timegate being one. Also the NASA contractors like Lockheed, Boeing, Jacobs, Raytheon, USA, Wyle, etc. may or may not be hiring, but there are certainly some C/C++ jobs among them. Actually my old boss used to do C programming for Texaco until he was laid off. So I'd bet there are still a lot of legacy systems among the oil and gas companies. That may be a good place to start.

I can't promise that I am 100% right, but I'd bet that most jobs will be maintaining legacy code and not new development.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,535,701 times
I suggest finding out what sw used by investment banks and OG trading desk have c like code. Openlink is one of those. You can contact the consulting firms to put you in one of those projects. Theyll help filling the gap.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM

222 posts, read 415,296 times
O&G companies have a LOT of maintenance work on C/C++ legacy codes. Look for open software dev positions in the plethora of these companies here, and also as contractors.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:53 PM

Thanks people, thats very good information. Looks like we can think about moving to Houston

Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3141592s View Post
I don't know why you'd want to move to Houston. The climate, culture, and quality of life is sub par. I hope you have a great job offer here. Please don't move here unless you have a great job! That's the only reason to be here.

That's not true. One could be coming from a third world country or running away from their previous life

Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 PM

I have a great job in WA, but I am trying to run away from northwest's rainy and always gloomy weather. Houston is one of the option for sunny weather (though extreamy hot for couple of months in summer). Whether I will find a equally good job in Houston or not is my only fear.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine_7 View Post
I have a great job in WA, but I am trying to run away from northwest's rainy and always gloomy weather. Houston is one of the option for sunny weather (though extreamy hot for couple of months in summer). Whether I will find a equally good job in Houston or not is my only fear.
I'm sure you can find a job. I get a note from headhunters about c++ openings every now and then. They know thats not my specialty but still contacts me so maybe it's been hard to fill. Which sector are you in? Probably best to try businesses similar to what youre in now

Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,055,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I used to do excruciatingly mind-numbing legacy C/C++ maintenance
That sounds like lots of fun ..... NOT
I don't even like to look at code written by other people, you know, the kind that write a code as if nobody else was ever going to look at it.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That sounds like lots of fun ..... NOT
I don't even like to look at code written by other people, you know, the kind that write a code as if nobody else was ever going to look at it.
That, my friend, is the story of my life. If someone offered a PhD in writing crappy, unmaintainable code, I personally know some good candidates. There's one guy I curse every waking day for the junk he left behind.

Quote:
I know there are still plenty good .NET jobs in Houston if you aren't picky about the industry. Just haven't heard of much related to C/C++ besides niche industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston