Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 PM

318 posts, read 335,135 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm a long time lurker but finally posted a thread.

Additional Info
OK so me and my wife (late 20s) have been looking at new construction homes in clearlake area, we've been renting in this area for awhile and really just love the area, we've lived in sugar land area, new pearland 288 also... but like clearlake the most because of great schools, outdoor water stuff, Baybrook mall new shopping & restaurants, tangler outlet, kemah boardwalk, near Galveston beach, amusement park coming near outlet mall, can get to minute maid and toyota center in decent times etc, only pain is the construction now on 45 by bay brook but that won't last forever.

our budget is $260 max, (no we can't afford the clearlake reserves ) we like league city but we want to be as close to houston as possible to get to med center for wife work, houston sport events & some night life & no more than 30-35 min for my work commute in baytown.

Potential Area
so we've come across this area thats zoned to great clear creek isd schools, but its in houston like a few miles from clearlake which is fine, but we recently found out that its in the brio superfund area. so I have a few questions. for anyone who lived there now, past, or thinking about it in future.

1. Ashely pointe subdivision off dixie farm is already established, are there problems with resell. how is area like crime, community, and does the Brio superfund effect living over there ? Ive noticed that Khov & j. Patrick are building a large amount homes in the subdivision now.
property taxes 2.8
Elementary

2. Stillwater cove (Meritage homes)
is almost done clearing land working on streets now for their new subdivision coming this summer, which is right across the street form the Brio Superfund I guess the land is safe now idk ? but is anyone thinking about moving there ? or heard anything about them ? no plans or prices are on their site now.
property taxes 3.0
elementary 9/10 G.S
middle 9/10 G.S
Highschool 8/10 G.S

thanks for any info and suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 09:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,210,867 times
Personally i never found it to be proven the brio dump was totally cleaned up. They found some of the contamination had breeched the barrier but never hear anymore about it.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:34 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
I'd err on the side of caution and stay away from anything too close to brio suite. How about middlebrook or oakbrook in clear lake? Bay point would also have homes in your range. Pearland, near dixie fm rd and 518 also in your range. Sometimes up you find a great resale that has had everything updated. Those are fabulous deals and sac you money in the long run. Wouldn't hurt to look. Like this one at 15819 spring forest drive in middlebrook. It's only $230. Looks that address up in har.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:04 PM

318 posts, read 335,135 times
thanks for the posting but we want a new build its very possible in our range. were ok with a 3 bed room one story as long as it has a study option. the thing is older homes energy bill can easy be 400+ with no home warranty and are priced just 20K different.

when a new home can have a $80-100 bill so you end up paying around the same.

tuscan lakes
mar bella
hidden lakes
edgewater (westin builders)
& more

like the other poster said old pearland area may be an option

Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
You could try westover park or Westwood in league city for new in your range.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:02 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,742,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Personally i never found it to be proven the brio dump was totally cleaned up. They found some of the contamination had breached the barrier but never hear anymore about it.
^ this.

That area is still contaminated and will be for a long time to come.

They are continuing to build all the way around it in hopes that 'out of towners' will move in since they won't know what used to be there.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,755,095 times
Perception lags reality. Even if the site is cleaned up, that whole area will have a stigma that will work against it when it's time to resell in the future. I'd steer clear.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,636 times
Be careful and do your research, a few years ago they discovered it was "leaking". I was actually shocked when I found out that several builders were building right up to the back of it.
The resale value and school district is not the greatest in the area. I think you would have better luck in Dickinson but truly League City is the best bet for new homes right now. Hidden lakes Gehan homes were offering pretty good deals a couple of months ago, tax rates fairly reasonable.
You could also look into the builder Cervelle, they usually always have a very low tax rate, highly desirable houses due to the barn garage style and the lowest prices for a new builder.
Good luck to you.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:19 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,100,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
thanks for the posting but we want a new build its very possible in our range. were ok with a 3 bed room one story as long as it has a study option. the thing is older homes energy bill can easy be 400+ with no home warranty and are priced just 20K different.

when a new home can have a $80-100 bill so you end up paying around the same.
Our 3000 sqft 1965 house averaged $141 per month last year, you just need to pick the right plan.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:02 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,210,867 times
yea I was looking at google maps the other day. I cant believe how close those houses are to it now. They act like the pollution isn't going to cross the road or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston