Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
How about you follow the rules you would be agreeing to or move somewhere else?
How about you read the entire thread before replying. You'd see that your reply was as unnecessary as it was curt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 11:25 PM

398 posts, read 390,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcsmike View Post
How about you read the entire thread before replying. You'd see that your reply was as unnecessary as it was curt.
I wouldn't want to live in a HOA neighborhood, but if I did, I would abide by the rules. If it's ok for him/her to break em, then what about neighbors breaking other regulations? If his/her neighbor can't/doesn't park in the street, why should they put up with the smell and flies from the additional dog crap? Fair is fair. No ones making anyone move there.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:36 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
Hopefully people pick up their dog poop. My neighbors are picking it up daily in their back yard. so there is never any smell. Yeah I know there are some who don't. I looked at a resale home in friendswood once that was gorgeous but there was so much poop in the backyard that I didn't even look at the back because of the smell.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:17 PM

385 posts, read 435,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
How about you follow the rules you would be agreeing to or move somewhere else?
The problem is that all HOAs have some limit and the vast majority limit to two pets. Some say two dogs and two cats, but more than 4, but that was a rare exception when I was looking. We were in the same boat: moving from a non-HOA area to here.

I posted this same question months ago and the vast majority of people said the rule isn't enforced for the most part unless the animals are a nuisance. At least half of my block's residents have 3 or more pets and our HOA says 2 pets only. If you find that scenario, it is less likely that anyone would complain because they sure wouldn't want to lose their own pets. Good luck to you.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:17 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,665,848 times
I think city of Houston only allows 3 as well

Old 05-20-2016, 06:19 PM

811 posts, read 1,545,750 times
Our Civic Association has a 3 pet limit. We have two dogs and a cat but it would not stop me getting another cat if we felt so inclined. It would be indoors like the one we have now so what difference would it make to anyone but us. I do believe that a blanket rule is unfair. There is a big difference between someone having 3 Great Danes than 4 Yorkies. I wouldn't know how to make it fair exactly, maybe a total weight limit, I don't know.

Having said all that, then there are scenarios like this (extreme, I admit). It got this way in just three years but with an indoor pig, no surprise I guess! This was in my subdivision unfortunately and this is what one of our Association board members said about it, "The main thing I want to convey to Huntwick residents is that the Board of Directors did everything within our power to stop this problem before it happened, and during." So I assume it meant nothing could be done, unless they put a lien on the house, but the owners skipped with all their menagerie (to do it again no doubt), so then what? The house has been cleaned up now thank God. And for those not familiar with this area, Huntwick is a very well maintained subdivision, nothing ghetto about it at all.

This is the filthiest house in Houston

Old 05-20-2016, 07:19 PM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times
I don't know about Houston laws, but Houston is in Harris County, and Harris County has a limit of three dogs over the age of six months per household , unless you get a kennel license. Most HOA restrict to three, but some might restrict to two. They also can regulate what kind of dogs: size and breed. Many don't allow pit bulls. You need to obey your local HOA laws, they could be a PITA and you seldom win.
Harris county animal regulations:
https://www.animallaw.info/statutes/...ie.htm?page=28 <<< page 28 and 29
http://www.hcphes.org/UserFiles/Serv...egulations.pdf
Other laws:
NPC Law Library: Houston TX Noise Ordinance

Other threads about this topic:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ton-burbs.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...n-you-own.html

Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 7,138,928 times
Houston ordinance. Limit of 3 dogs, with some exceptions. https://www2.municode.com/library/tx...ANFO_ARTIVDOCA

Old 05-24-2016, 01:22 AM

277 posts, read 301,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Two dogs and two cats is a pretty common deed restriction in Houston. IT is not ignored nearly as often as the county restriction to keep one's cats in the house or confined in their own yard.
What??? Seriously??? We are moving from 10 acres...already heartbroken finding new homes for our horses...my teens are fighting to bring the barn cat which means we will have 3 dogs and FOUR cats!! One dog is 15 and nearing her twilight, but after rescuing/spaying/neutering over 35 cats/dogs the past 10 years..we are surprised we are only left with these seven...just let me cry now

Old 05-24-2016, 06:36 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
2 cats and 2 dogs seems reasonable in these neighborhoods with small lots. As you said you're coming from 10 acres. Sounds like you need to look in more rural areas where you can enjoy your pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston