Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 12,814 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a student who will be living with my folks for the summer. We live in Katy, TX but my internship will be at AIG at 2929 Allen Parkway, Houston TX 77019. I will probably be working the standard 9 to 5. I don't have a car but my parents can pick me up or drop me off from around Katy before and after work.

Getting to AIG probably won't be too much of a hassle for me, as the Grand Parkway P&R will probably take me within walking range of the building. However, going from downtown to Katy seems to be a problem because it appears that the last bus to Katy departs around 6 PM. I anticipate hanging out/networking until at least 7 PM.

The ridemetro website is quite difficult to use because it appears that their data is not quite synced with Google maps. Looking for a way to get to Katy from downtown AIG any time after 7 PM. If you know of any good carpools, vanpools, etc... from Katy -> Houston or from Houston -> Katy that would be much appreciated. More than willing to compensate for any rides.

Last edited by kidstand; 05-18-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
I currently work at the same complex, and have taken park and ride fairly often, but not the Katy ones. Looks like for the Grand Parkway P&R the last bus leaves about 6:30 from downtown, but there is a later bus that will drop you off at the Kingsland or Addicks P&R that leaves as late as 9:30. While it is not the Grand Parkway P&R, it is at least close to Katy. If you are having someone pick you up, they could just come to the Kingsland P&R instead of the Grand Parkway P&R.

See the bottom route 229 on this Katy Corridor schedule. This one has all of the P&R bus routes that serve Katy. Metro changes the route numbers when they consolidate routes mid day and in the late evenings, thus the different number.

http://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/S...tycorridor.pdf

And also, the AIG complex is over 1 mile from downtown. I would not walk it unless I had to, and have only done it once when I just barely missed my bus and the next one was 40 min later. Take the 40 or 41 bus routes from downtown and they will drop you off right by the Whole Foods market at West Dallas and Waugh drive. Then you have a short walk to your office.

http://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/S...ne-Heights.pdf
http://www.ridemetro.org/MetroPDFs/S...Kirby-Polk.pdf

Once you get here, you might find some people at AIG that live near you and you could carpool. That would be the best option IMO. I know there are many people that live over there and work at AIG.

Good luck with your internship!

Old 05-19-2016, 03:40 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Its always baffled me when people don't know what downtown is. Its pretty clearly defined by 45/69/10. Ive even met people who think everything inside 610 is "downtown"..

Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 AM

672 posts, read 847,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Its always baffled me when people don't know what downtown is. Its pretty clearly defined by 45/69/10. Ive even met people who think everything inside 610 is "downtown"..
I've only lived here for a few years, but isn't Houston known as the city as having multiple downtowns?

Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,630 times
You really need a car in Houston to get anywhere, especially from the inner loop to the far flung suburbs. Look into buying a cheap used car from Car Max and then selling it back to them after the summer is over if you don't need it at school.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:57 AM

90 posts, read 161,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
You really need a car in Houston to get anywhere, especially from the inner loop to the far flung suburbs. Look into buying a cheap used car from Car Max and then selling it back to them after the summer is over if you don't need it at school.
Who does this? When did cars become consumable items?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:01 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
I've only lived here for a few years, but isn't Houston known as the city as having multiple downtowns?
It definitely has multiple large urban centers that are the size of many other cities downtowns, but only one of them is actually called downtown (the one at 45/69/10).

Old 05-19-2016, 03:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post

No Houston does not have multiple downtowns. That said the AIG building is pretty close to downtown but not actually there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: