Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,556 times

Advertisements

As the old saying goes: "Houston has two seasons...summer and August."

We should add that there is actually a third season in Houston, that being the two-day period from February 17 to 18 each year. That's autumn around here. On February 16, the live oaks still have last year's leaves. For the next two days, dead oak leaves fall from the trees in a blizzard-like manner. By February 19, the oaks have shed all their old leaves, which have been immediately replaced by new springtime growth. By February 20, it's back to summer again.

The humidity is pretty fierce here during the summer. However, in August, it's not quite as bad because the scorching heat just boils off the ambient moisture in the air. And August in Houston actually lasts through September, temperature-wise. The weather calendar in Houston doesn't actually have a month of September...it just rolls from the local 60-day August straight into October.

You can never have a heartier laugh as a Houstonian than you will at the sight of people from Phoenix or Denver getting off the plane at one of Houston's airports in July. Every one of them, upon exiting the climate-controlled, 25% humidity passenger cabin into the oppressive humidity of the Houston summer looks as if they have been slapped in the face with an enormous wet towel. The number one complaint of these visitors: "I can't breathe! The air is so heavy! How does anyone breathe around here?" The number two complaint: "I can't believe all that steam rushing into the cabin once they opened the doors to the aircraft! It was so thick we almost couldn't see! How does anybody live around here?"

But seriously...you'll love it here. The weather is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 03:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
You can never have a heartier laugh as a Houstonian than you will at the sight of people from Phoenix or Denver getting off the plane at one of Houston's airports in July. Every one of them, upon exiting the climate-controlled, 25% humidity passenger cabin into the oppressive humidity of the Houston summer looks as if they have been slapped in the face with an enormous wet towel. The number one complaint of these visitors: "I can't breathe! The air is so heavy! How does anyone breathe around here?" The number two complaint: "I can't believe all that steam rushing into the cabin once they opened the doors to the aircraft! It was so thick we almost couldn't see! How does anybody live around here?"
+1000. Yes! I love watching people at the airport step out into the Houston weather for the first time and seeing the look on their faces. My great aunt who is from Greece (I'm of Greek/Czech extraction) first visited Houston ten years ago and I picked her up at the airport. She said, Oh my what lovely weather you guys have out here. She was still in the airport where it was nicely cooled. She assumed the weather was like it was inside. She gets out and she has this look of OMG on her face once she exited. It was as though someone tossed a water balloon at her head. She was in shock at the level of humidity.

So yes, it is a pretty big shock to the system.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,900 times
Most people whine about it a bit too much and are babies about it. It's already May and it's not that bad right now. So you will have to go for about 5 months of heat, and 7 months of pretty darn good.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:11 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Most people whine about it a bit too much and are babies about it. It's already May and it's not that bad right now. So you will have to go for about 5 months of heat, and 7 months of pretty darn good.
Actually its only about 2 1/2 to 3 months of extreme heat , cool fronts start coming in, in Sept and it usually doesn't start getting into the upper 90's until late June. But you are absolutely right about this year has been a breeze so far.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:42 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
eletric bill must be higher there too then
OP: Our electric bills are higher in hot weather months due to A/C running 24/7. On the other hand, we have mild winters and most homes have natural gas heat. It's fairly inexpensive and isn't needed every day.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:44 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,859 times
Quote:
eletric bill must be higher there too then
Yes and no.

My summer time bill runs apex $200 for 2 months out of the year. Most of the year is Aprox $50.
Gas bill is mostly around $20 except 2 months where it's about $80 (winter)

You northerners have long winters with high gas bills. Not sure how that runs for you.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:17 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times
Quote:
I am from Eastern Europe and used to cold weather
Live in NYC and trying to relocate somewhere low COL. I can barely handle NYC summers. would i be able to handle TX?
ty
How can you honestly expect complete strangers to tell you whether YOU can handle the weather? Or is it just that they don't have Google where you live and you honestly don't know how to find out what temperature in Houston are like?

Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 PM

74 posts, read 86,080 times
We came from Wisconsin (very cold) last fall and I still think it's quite pleasant out here at the end of May. Granted I haven't lived through a July or August here yet, but so far I'll gladly take a place that has beautiful weather from at least mid-September through mid-May (what we've been here for) in exchange for not having 6 months of miserable cold.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledoppelganger View Post
We came from Wisconsin (very cold) last fall and I still think it's quite pleasant out here at the end of May. Granted I haven't lived through a July or August here yet, but so far I'll gladly take a place that has beautiful weather from at least mid-September through mid-May (what we've been here for) in exchange for not having 6 months of miserable cold.
This year is NOT normal weather for May, though.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

Quote:
The warm season lasts from May 22 to September 26 with an average daily high temperature above 86°F. The hottest day of the year is August 7, with an average high of 92°F and low of 76°F.

The cold season lasts from November 30 to February 20 with an average daily high temperature below 68°F. The coldest day of the year is January 4, with an average low of 45°F and high of 61°F.
Quote:
Humidity

The relative humidity typically ranges from 49% (comfortable) to 95% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 24% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

The air is driest around October 4, at which time the relative humidity drops below 58% (mildly humid) three days out of four; it is most humid around July 11, exceeding 92% (very humid) three days out of four.
The humidity is what kills me. It does not go down that much even at night.

The relative humidity in Houston during May usually peaks at 91 percent in the morning then drops to 57 percent by mid afternoon.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 PM

36 posts, read 54,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This year is NOT normal weather for May, though.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States

The humidity is what kills me. It does not go down that much even at night.

The relative humidity in Houston during May usually peaks at 91 percent in the morning then drops to 57 percent by mid afternoon.
A normal May won't be much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston