Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM

65 posts, read 74,056 times

Advertisements

I am building a house in league city and it is nearing the end. I have noticed some extremely poor workmanship/finishing. Some is even dangerous in that load bearing columns were replaced with a few sandwiched 2x4s because they couldn't brick around the original design. How common is this? It is a highland home who had outstanding reviews but it seems to me that the superintendent is not even checking over this work. I go over every day and find problems. They are willing to fix all of the issues but I am still nervous that there are problems that could be unseen. I will copy and paste my complete list that I sent to the builder so don't be confused if I have comments or its vague. You will get the idea. I have found several cases where something was constructed that was not per the blueprint, as if no one is even looking at it.

Here is the list.

1. Front door frame not square.
2. Front walkway not level in either direction. Slopes towards front door.
3. Front Porch Columns need to be redone. I don't believe that the interior of the columns are per the blueprint. There are supposed to be 3 2x6s and 4 2x4s per the blueprint. I saw them redoing the columns with 3 sandwhiched 2x4's back to back a few weeks ago and looking through the gaps in the columns it appears that they left them that way. There are other column issues dealing with the cedar finishing, each of those planks should have been cut at 45 degree angles and fit together. Columns are not square and do not align very well.
4. Front porch roof unlevel due to columns bowing.
5. No weep holes on the columns, weep holes on the house are pretty small.
6. Pantry wall is not level, it is very visible where it meets the cabinets near the fridge. Using a 6ft level it is off 1 inch at 6ft.
7. 4th bedroom hallway ceiling unlevel.
8. 4th bedroom bathroom floor unlevel.
9. Window seat not level.
10. Recessed lights upstairs not aligned.
11. Backyard is very uneven. I understand it will settle some but I am concerned with drainage.
12. Front door is not centered, causes brick to be unsymmetrical. It is over 1 inch off center.
13. Did not see the second grounding rod that we had talked about a few weeks ago, do you know if that was done?
14. Do you know if all of the AC ducts were fixed?
15. There are some trim issues throughout the house. That will just have to be something we look at later and they might actually be fixed.
16. The Island is very unlevel on one side. I think it needs to be redone not patched with drywall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 10:35 AM

88 posts, read 123,201 times
With builders selling homes/lots at lightning speed, it's inevitable for workmanship to decline. We built with Coventry 3 years ago in Riverstone, and the attention to detail was terrible.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 AM

137 posts, read 256,959 times
Thank you for this. We are building a Highland Home also and they are going fast! I was concerned, but since they have a good reputation I didn't want to be too overly concerned.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,146 times
everything will not be perfect. that's just how it goes.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post

yea but some stuff is flat out laziness and could be dangerous. specially messing with load bearing walls and columns.i would make them fix it and call the inspector to ding them.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
The poorer quality is largely due to the region, and makeup of the personnel involved in the actual construction. I don't mean to sound racist, but in the town I now live in, homes tend to be built by 100% caucasions. It might take them longer to complete the homes/apartments/buildings, but the quality is top-notch. I know that's not always an option - and not a realistic option in the Houston area - but that's a big factor.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
Seriously? Replacing load bearing columns with sandwiched 2x4s is just a case of something not being perfect? Alot on that list I was not going to mention to the builder because I understand that nothing will be perfect but I just couldn't take it anymore. Things arent just a little unlevel, things are so unlevel that you can see them with your naked eye.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
The poorer quality is largely due to the region, and makeup of the personnel involved in the actual construction. I don't mean to sound racist, but in the town I now live in, homes tend to be built by 100% caucasions. It might take them longer to complete the homes/apartments/buildings, but the quality is top-notch. I know that's not always an option - and not a realistic option in the Houston area - but that's a big factor.
Um, ok.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I agree. It's the unfortunate truth.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldmco View Post
Thank you for this. We are building a Highland Home also and they are going fast! I was concerned, but since they have a good reputation I didn't want to be too overly concerned.
Just make sure you check everything. I think it totally depends on the crew building the house. Where are you building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston