Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 11:47 AM

20 posts, read 46,566 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear how it went. I got four foundation bids to repair part of my foundation -- 4k, 17k, 21k, 22k, Perma Pier was the 4k, and honestly, after flooding three times, the only one I can afford. I am debating -- Will I do more damage going with them, or should I just do nothing as the better choice? Is some work from a less reputed company better than none? One side/corner of my home is 2" lower and keeps letting the water in. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM

98 posts, read 99,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peonypeony View Post
I'd like to hear how it went. I got four foundation bids to repair part of my foundation -- 4k, 17k, 21k, 22k, Perma Pier was the 4k, and honestly, after flooding three times, the only one I can afford. I am debating -- Will I do more damage going with them, or should I just do nothing as the better choice? Is some work from a less reputed company better than none? One side/corner of my home is 2" lower and keeps letting the water in. Thoughts?

I used them about 5 years ago and liked their work, thought they did a great job. Although I sold my house about 6 months after we did the work, so not sure (long term) how the piers held up. One word of caution: my bid had something like 10? piers proposed. After installing the ~10 piers, it became apparent that we needed 3-4 more piers. They wanted to charge me extra for those piers, like 30% more. It became slightly contentious, as I viewed the contract/bid as fixing my foundation, not for a specific number of piers. Anyway, I would read the contract closely and ask what would happen if the proposed number of piers doesn't completely eliminate the foundation issue.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:46 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
Sounds like there is a significant difference in the number of piers that will be laid between these companies.
I would be amazed if the quotes were for the same number of piers.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean its bad. Heck if only one side of your house is low and that's all you need to fix and all you can afford I say go for it.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:49 PM

98 posts, read 99,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Sounds like there is a significant difference in the number of piers that will be laid between these companies.
I would be amazed if the quotes were for the same number of piers.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean its bad. Heck if only one side of your house is low and that's all you need to fix and all you can afford I say go for it.
Yeah, when I had my foundation fixed, I also had a variance in the bids like the original poster. One of the companies (a bigger one in town) wanted to replace all the piers under my house, something like 45 piers. When I asked why, they responded that's what they always do, if some of the piers failed already, the rest will fail soon, is what they claimed. I'm not sure I buy that theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston