Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post

I'm not trying to sound awful, even though I probably do. I just...was...surprised. My husband, more discouraged by it, thought it was a sign of things to come, and then he started talking about Rome and what happened to it when no one could understand each other anymore .
I am very curious about the Rome language cultural issue that your husband felt discouraged about.
It is my understanding that Rome became great because it embraced different cultures, traditions, and religions. The Western part of the empire lasted over one thousand years. The Eastern part of the empire continued for another thousand years. Rome was in the business of incorporating other lands, people and making them citizens without worrying about their language, culture, and religion. It became weaker when it embraced one religion, and it got rid of the Republic and became an empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
That area around the Beltway seems to be pretty international, probably because of the EC.
I don't use Memorial City for anything except the new theater. It seems to be one of the few safe ones left.

PS- Thought. Do you think because of Sharpstown being leveled their patrons moved over to Memorial City?
Sharpstown to Memorial City? I'm not seeing it. Maybe First Colony since it is closer.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
I am very curious about the Rome language cultural issue that your husband felt discouraged about.
It is my understanding that Rome became great because it embraced different cultures, traditions, and religions. The Western part of the empire lasted over one thousand years. The Eastern part of the empire continued for another thousand years. Rome was in the business of incorporating other lands, people and making them citizens without worrying about their language, culture, and religion. It became weaker when it embraced one religion, and it got rid of the Republic and became an empire.
Well, I don't really know who taught you about Roman history, but it's somewhat incorrect. I'm not about to try to change your mind on it, because I am quite sure just from you even posting the above that it would be impossible...so I won't elaborate further.

Now, back to the mall and present-day America...

Old 02-17-2008, 08:15 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
Quote:
Well, I don't really know who taught you about Roman history, but it's somewhat incorrect. I'm not about to try to change your mind on it, because I am quite sure just from you even posting the above that it would be impossible...so I won't elaborate further.

Now, back to the mall and present-day America...

Somewhat incorrect!? Facts are not opinions. Sorry, but you cannot change facts just because they don't suit your argument or because you lack basic knowledge in a certain topic.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
I'm not going to argue with you. It is not my "opinion" that you are wrong.

I hope I made my point. You obviously are dead set on making yours, so let's say we agree to disagree and move on. This thread is not about the fall of the Roman Empire--it's about the freaking mall for God's sake. Can we get back to that, please? If you want to talk about the Roman Empire, go to the History thread and start a topic there.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
When I travel to another country - I certainly don't expect those residents to speak English to accommodate me.
people in other countries would appreciate, even be amused if you exert an effort to learn and speak their native language no matter how broken. hearing you talking in english may even bring a smile to the residents. unfortunately this is not a two way street and does not apply in the Texas

Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
PS- Thought. Do you think because of Sharpstown being leveled their patrons moved over to Memorial City?
I haven't been to Memorial City Mall ever in my life (true!), but I seriously doubt it, based on the scenario M2F described. I don't like to use words like "ghetto", but there is NO DOUBT that is exactly what Sharpstown had become and what led to its demise. I remember what it was like before...

Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
Quote:
We were there for probably a few hours. There was VERY little English spoken around us. It was remarkable, actually. Usually I don't notice or pay attention, or really, even care, but it was more than noticeable last night. I felt like I was in a different country, though I couldn't say necessarily which one! It didn't seem like America though. Everyone was yelling, for one thing, talking on their cell phones in various languages, shouting at each other to get someone's attention, it was a little odd to hear it in so many different ways. I felt like I was on a different planet entirely.

I'm not trying to sound awful, even though I probably do. I just...was...surprised. My husband, more discouraged by it, thought it was a sign of things to come, and then he started talking about Rome and what happened to it when no one could understand each other anymore

Is that the norm for that mall? I usually go during the week, in the mornings, so I don't see nearly as many people.
That's the Lone Star State.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile Lets Get Real

If you moved to another country (say Germany) where there was a large community of Americans that you hung arround with. While speaking to them are you going to speak German when both of you are English speaking??
Of course not. If you are speaking to your wife on the phone who also is English speaking are you going to speak to her in GERMAN just because you are in Germany. No, you will speak your native tongue because that is what the other person will understand the best. However if you are ordering a hamburger from a German you will speak GERMAN.
Lets welcome the immigrants just like I'm sure the country welcomed your ancestors when they came. Remember this country has been built on immigration since its inception. Yes, most of it was European immigration at first but now that is changing. I think now the largest immigrating group is Hispanic followed by asian. As long as these folks are making a positive contribution to the country I think it's great.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 AM

443 posts, read 1,793,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
If you moved to another country (say Germany) where there was a large community of Americans that you hung arround with. While speaking to them are you going to speak German when both of you are English speaking??
Of course not. If you are speaking to your wife on the phone who also is English speaking are you going to speak to her in GERMAN just because you are in Germany. No, you will speak your native tongue because that is what the other person will understand the best. However if you are ordering a hamburger from a German you will speak GERMAN.
Lets welcome the immigrants just like I'm sure the country welcomed your ancestors when they came. Remember this country has been built on immigration since its inception. Yes, most of it was European immigration at first but now that is changing. I think now the largest immigrating group is Hispanic followed by asian. As long as these folks are making a positive contribution to the country I think it's great.

You really are clueless aren't you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston