Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 AM

277 posts, read 304,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Is this a question, or an advertisement (for the US flag)?

I think I'll post a thread telling everyone to please wear purple tomorrow.

It's a request that our citizens acknowledge the great sacrifice, blood, sweat and tears shed for those stars and stripes. Not only independence from tyranny, but securing freedoms for not only our citizens but for many other countries along the way. It's a small thing to show respect for the men and women who sacrifice a great deal for extraordinary ideals.

We are moving there in 3 weeks, will definitely look up a scout troop to post the flag for us What a wonderful service!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:46 AM

226 posts, read 306,550 times
My neighbor has a Trump flag...

Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
It's a request that our citizens acknowledge the great sacrifice
I'm all for that, and honoring human lives given for our freedom. But the flag itself has never saved a life. The flag has never fought a war. It's not even alive. Some people act as though the flag is some type of god or powerful creature. If we want to honor people, let's do something about people, not colored cloth and icon worship.

People get so caught up in things that have been repeated for decades, that they don't even stop to think about what they are doing. In the modern American way though, the quick and simple approach is to to stick up a flag and say "Yep, I'm patriotic", rather than track down someone in the community who actually put their life on the line and shake their hand. Gee, thanks.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-30-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Quote:
I'm all for that, and honoring human lives given for our freedom. But the flag itself has never saved a life. The flag has never fought a war. It's not even alive. Some people act as though the flag is some type of god or powerful creature. If we want to honor people, let's do something about people, not colored cloth and icon worship.

People get so caught up in things that have been repeated for decades, that they don't even stop to think about what they are doing. In the modern American way though, the quick and simple approach is to to stick up a flag and say "Yep, I'm patriotic", rather than track down someone in the community who actually put their life on the line and shake their hand. Gee, thanks.
Dude, get over yourself. You don't know that people aren't doing more than put a flag out--our brains are a little more complex than that. There are many things, small and large, that individuals can do that help send a positive message that we value where we live and we appreciate that it's a rather unique place to be, warts and all. The average person doesn't run the VA system, or send troops to war. THOSE are the macro decisions that really impact military personnel. Let people have their small impact, and let veterans see a visual message to them, and know that people do care for the sacrifice they made.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:22 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Quote:
Is this a question, or an advertisement (for the US flag)?

I think I'll post a thread telling everyone to please wear purple tomorrow.

The OP suggested that at least for the 4th of July that people fly the Flag. There is hardly a more appropriate holiday -- the birth of the United States of America -- to raise the US flag. Why on
earth do you have an issue with that? I doubt the OP owns a flagmaking factory, so it's not
really an "advertisement."....

Old 07-01-2016, 09:15 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
We have the flags delivered in our subdivision.

Another idea... we could get back to calling it Independence Day, instead of the bland 4th of July... kinda puts meaning back into why we take time to celebrate.

Otherwise.. 4th of July... cinco de mayo... it's all sounds the same...

Old 07-01-2016, 09:55 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Don't forget Canada's tomorrow!
My MIL is Canadian, and they always put out both the U.S. and Canadian flags over 4th of July weekend.

My favorite, though, is being able to celebrate two Thanksgivings since it's my favorite holiday.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:09 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
I would if I was still proud of this country. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I would if I was still proud of this country. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case.
You probably couldn't raise it while you're busy carrying that martyr's cross anyways.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You probably couldn't raise it while you're busy carrying that martyr's cross anyways.
I'm no martyr but I'm also not going to celebrate the trashing of what was once a great country. I'll leave the July 4th celebrations to the Leftists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston