Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm grateful to God and no one else. Not Thomas Jefferson and not Donald Trump.
Well G-D had to lay it on somebodies heart to do it. The founders said yes.

The sign on my kitchen wall for years says, pray to G-D but row toward shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 08:39 AM

733 posts, read 603,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oespinoza83 View Post
My neighbor has a Trump flag...
Better than Mexico flag.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:57 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Well G-D had to lay it on somebodies heart to do it. The founders said yes.

The sign on my kitchen wall for years says, pray to G-D but row toward shore.
The founders also said other things that did not serve the best interest of someone like me. So I have to reiterate that my life is not owed to any man.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:33 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,752 times
The band from our local high school puts the flag out 6 times a year for us for a small fee. Helps them and I do believe it shows support for the country.

On a side note, I did have my Union Jack out when the vote to leave the EU was announced!

Old 07-02-2016, 01:16 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
You know what bugs me about this discussion? Being told that to show my support for my country, I should hang a flag. There are many ways to show your support for your country. You don't get to decide what I should or should not do.

It's like the way the right has appropriated terms like "family values" to mean THEIR version of family values. Mine includes things like family planning, loving relationships that might include same sex parents, etc. But those things now go against "family values." It's BS.

It's a free country. Let people decide themselves how they want to express their patriotism. Telling me to hang a flag reeks of fascism.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
I should probably fly the U.S. flag on my front yard for the morning and do a re-enactment of the Philippine-American handover ceremony back in 1946 in the middle of Manila and fly the Philippine Flag for the rest of the day (native-born Fil-Am here). The 4th is also Philippine-American Friendship Day. (And probably the saddest day in Filipino history. BTW Philippine Independence Day is actually on June 12 to commemorate the declaration of independence against the Spanish. Probably more politically correct to have Independence Day there so as not to insult your biggest ally!)

I'm surprised Americans have forgotten about The Philippines as the lone outpost in Asia! Our relationship should be stronger than the one we have with Israel!

About 5 years ago passing through immigration in Manila Airport, an African-American woman commented to her group of friends that she has been a frequent visitor for many years because of its beaches and beauty. I wonder how she learned about The Philippines in the first place? Stints with the military?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
The brits are done with it and so will be other European countries.
England is done with it, with the disproportionate population ratio! (Well Britain=England)

Why do you think there are proud Scots with St. Andrews' flag stickers on their SUVs around Cinco Ranch? The U.K. flag is not as commonly flown as the individual national flags, especially during Soccer tournaments.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,752 times
I have flown my English flag (St Georges cross) but it has been mistaken for the Red Cross on more than one occasion!

Old 07-02-2016, 03:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
I have flown my English flag (St Georges cross) but it has been mistaken for the Red Cross on more than one occasion!
That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:01 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
You know what bugs me about this discussion? Being told that to show my support for my country, I should hang a flag. There are many ways to show your support for your country. You don't get to decide what I should or should not do.

It's like the way the right has appropriated terms like "family values" to mean THEIR version of family values. Mine includes things like family planning, loving relationships that might include same sex parents, etc. But those things now go against "family values." It's BS.

It's a free country. Let people decide themselves how they want to express their patriotism. Telling me to hang a flag reeks of fascism.
I suspect it was a friendly nudge, not an instruction.

Our old neighborhood, next to Cabot's, the high school band sold subscriptions for around 40 a year. On patriotic holidays the kids put a flag in your yard. It really looked nice to see streets with flags at most houses. Everybody on my street did it.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:51 PM

103 posts, read 96,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
On my street there are only two houses which fly the American Flags permanently. Sure there was an HOA issue before but the law has changed for at least 4 years now.

Unlike 10 years ago, you can easily find made in the USA flags at most big box stores.

At least do it for the 4th of July.
no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston