Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,038 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I want to say hi to all the Houstonians reading this post..

I am a 34 year old AA Male hailing from Indianapolis moving to Houston in the fall and wanted to get some advice. I just recently graduated last year with an A.S. in Computer Info Systems. My ultimate goal is to obtain an job in the IT market or start a business here. I have a wealth of experience in computers (both building and fixing), web development ,cell phone repair, call center, customer service, and retail management. (Basically, I don't mind getting my hands dirty...)

Social life is something I want to improve on. In Indy, singles are nearly nonexistent due to the fact that most ladies are married and/or have kids, and nightlife can sometimes be boring.I thought about Atlanta, but the job market is super crazy over there plus the social life is very stereotypical. I chose Houston because I've heard that it is a "what you make out of it" city that accepts you the way you are.

Here's what I know from friends that have move to Houston and/or Texas:

1. Humidity (doesn't bother me at all).
2.Traffic (I've lived in Chicago, so I know about ways how to avoid rush hour traffic, which comes into my next thing..)
3. Work where you live. I know this all together.
4. Bad-ass Mexican Food and BBQ.

I will be down in August/September to check out the city proper but I wanted to know any questions...

Where are the best place in the city for young professionals to thrive? I've heard Montrose, Rice Village, and the Heights..but what about Kingwood/Humble?

Nightlife. I'm not a club type of person--but since I'm older, where's all the clubs where the young, I say 25-44 crowd-- go to relaxand have a drink and chill?

Job Market--How is the Job Market for IT in Houston? I've heard Austin has Dell, but Houston is slighy underrated because company like HostGator and Xerox...to name a few..)

Any other advice?

I would love from all of you and thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 03:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
For #4, it depends really. It depends on what part of information tech you are looking for. And it's going to be very different from what you will find in Austin. Houston has multiple large industries that require legions of IT support like oil/gas, healthcare, aerospace, banking, etc. If you do software development, the industry is good. As far as networking and PC Tech, those jobs are often the first on the chopping block.

From sheer size and diversity of economy, Houston will have more jobs to choose from and less competition than Austin. But odds are you won't be working for a company that produces an IT product. However Houston does has offices for IBM, Oracle, Cpanel, a few game studios, lots of web shops, and some niche software shops for things like medical imaging and surveillance.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:30 PM

172 posts, read 391,807 times
I have no advice to give you; just wanted to say, from one Hoosier transplant to another, Welcome to Houston!

(No more cold, gray, snowy slush!!!!!!!)

Old 07-03-2016, 03:38 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
All I can add is NO to Kingwood and Humble for what you're looking for.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Humble and Kingwood are suburban

Demographics for Humble
Humble Texas Demographics

Demographics for Kingwood
Kingwood Community Guide - Kingwood Statistics & Demographics

Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 AM

13 posts, read 11,477 times
I am an AA male in the same age bracket.

1. Kingwood and Humble are nothing but families. Heights is probably a good fit for you, also Galleria/Uptown, Midtown and Rice Military. Where you stay depends on your budget and if you're looking to own a home.

2. Most of the clubs I go to are downtown, Heights, Midtown, Montrose. There are clubs all over the loop.

3. Can't help with this question personally.

4. I think you'll enjoy it here!!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
dont move here without a job. its going to take awhile to find a job that isn't contractor based. And then you will get lowballed on wage. What type of job are you looking for anyway? you can almost forget finding an oil company job right now here in Houston.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:03 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Don't make the move unless you have a job offer. The IT job market in Houston is horrendous. It is even worse than it was in 2008. Because of recent layoffs in the oil and gas sector the local market is flooded with a ton of highly qualified candidates. Just do a search on any of the job sites if you don't believe me. Austin and Dallas on the other hand have what appears to be an IT job boom.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Don't make the move unless you have a job offer. The IT job market in Houston is horrendous. It is even worse than it was in 2008. Because of recent layoffs in the oil and gas sector the local market is flooded with a ton of highly qualified candidates. Just do a search on any of the job sites if you don't believe me. Austin and Dallas on the other hand have what appears to be an IT job boom.

I got laid off in Feb took me 4 months to find a decent job doing helpdesk/server admin. The contract positions blew big time.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
there's big bugs here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston