Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:00 PM

270 posts, read 406,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noregrets11 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain everything so nicely! I'd rep you, but it said I must spread the reps around first.

I do like the renewable energy; I'd prefer to have my own solar panels, but this seems like the best/cheapest way to get my "green" fix. However, I'll check out the other plans as you suggested just to see what they are offering.

Much appreciated!
No problem! Since you really want the green fix that's actually a pretty good price for 100% wind, and the best if your usage is below 1000 kWh. Breeze energy appears to have shorter term plans that may save you a penny per kWh at 1500 kWh.

You can go with a shorter term plan while you learn your usage (that's what I do, it's sooooo easy to switch when the contract is up) but if you don't want to bother to spend the time pinching every penny and be done with it for a year that's a decent plan. I've turned it into a game (my neighbor and I compete on who can hit the lowest rates).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 09:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
If you don't know your usage or understand the system, don't sign up for the longer 12 month contracts. 3 month contracts are fine and it is very, very easy to sign up for a new provider at the end of the contract (it literally takes 5 minutes). It took me years to figure out the game the electrical providers were playing, but now I just do short contracts and switch into whoever is offering the best deal when I need to renew - sometimes 3 or 4 times a year. Have never paid more than 7¢/kWh doing this, sometimes I get it down to 5¢/kWh.
And whatever you do, don't ignore your renewal notices or forget to renew your plan or switch to a new provider/plan. If you do nothing you'll be charged the default non-contract rate and in just a few months you'll have wiped out all the savings. Providers know that, regardless of how easy it is to shop and switch, most people are lazy and resistant to change and tend to stick with their current provider unless the pain becomes intolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston