Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,590,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
When I see that, it really p's me off. Our tax dollars pay for TX DOT signs that a majority of the US citizens cannot read. I guess no english speaking Americans need help getting to an event or need help rerouting due to construction.

Fortunately I can read Spanish well enough to get by. You can't help but pick it up living here all your life. But this kind of stuff undoubtedly makes visiting outsiders ask themselves what country they just flew into. And what I find even worse is how many people refuse to believe these things, with eyes blinded and ears plugged, as the infiltration continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
I am considering a move to either Houston, TX or Jacksonville, FL.
I know many of the good aspects of Houston (jobs, housing costs, etc),
but please give me an honest assessment of the reasons not to move
to Houston. Thanks.
The Humidity Levels.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:36 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,429,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
The Humidity Levels.
As opposed to Jacksonville's, or just in general?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,097,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Do you really have to be bi-lingual to survive down there or is that an exaggeration?
way too exagerated. I giggle at the cute mexicans who try their best to speak english when i crash into random taquerias. I even talk to customers (looks like a day worker) and ask 'eww whats that?' (pointing at food) and they actually delightfully explain in english, sort of. well maybe theyre not so taken aback since my english is not so great too. "no beans *wink*"

Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,887,118 times
I'm sure most of what I'll list has already been said, but so be it:

1) Weather. Good weather can be had for a couple of months in the winter. The rest of the time you want to hide indoors.
2) Property Tax - Disgustingly high
3) Horrible Urban Sprawl - It takes eons to get anywhere
4) Pathetic Public Transit - For a city this size to have such a sad public transit system is a disservice.
5) Very rude drivers
6) Zoning laws are crazy - just drive around here and try to make sense of it
7) Language barriers - Very commonly I cannot understand what people are trying to say to me.
8) Complete lack of topography - If you like the outdoors, forget about this place.
9) Crime - horrible
10) Lack of character - having lived in several major cities, this place is by far the most generic. If you like strip malls and restaurants however, this place will be heaven for you.
11) Poorly designed road system, or 'you can't get there from here', without first driving 5 miles out of way to simply try to get to a store on the other side of the freeway.
12) Expensive electricity. Coupled with the hot and humid weather down here, your wallet will be losing a lot of weight.
13) Flooding/Hurricanes, etc
14) Everything is private property out here. It costs to do anything.
15) It's got beaches, but they are filthy.
16) Too many toll roads

Sigh - I've got to move!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour
Zoning laws are crazy
What zoning laws?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,159,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
1) Weather. Good weather can be had for a couple of months in the winter. The rest of the time you want to hide indoors.
4) Pathetic Public Transit - For a city this size to have such a sad public transit system is a disservice.
5) Very rude drivers
7) Language barriers - Very commonly I cannot understand what people are trying to say to me.
8) Complete lack of topography - If you like the outdoors, forget about this place.
9) Crime - horrible
10) Lack of character - having lived in several major cities, this place is by far the most generic. If you like strip malls and restaurants however, this place will be heaven for you.
11) Poorly designed road system, or 'you can't get there from here', without first driving 5 miles out of way to simply try to get to a store on the other side of the freeway.
12) Expensive electricity. Coupled with the hot and humid weather down here, your wallet will be losing a lot of weight.
16) Too many toll roads
As a former resident of Houston, I would add that there is plenty of truth in each and every one of these criticisms.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,262,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I giggle at the cute mexicans who try their best to speak english when i crash into random taquerias. I even talk to customers (looks like a day worker) and ask 'eww whats that?' (pointing at food) and they actually delightfully explain in english, sort of.
I learned Spanish to travel...I saw pictures of Spain, Argentina, etc. and took it in college to make it easier to go there. What fantastic places!

I don't look ethnic at all, so I love springing my pretty darn good Spanish on people when they least expect it. (In fact, when I got off the plane in Italy in 1998 and my cousin came to pick me up at the airport, the first thing he said to me was "You look Anglo"...in his language).

I have no trepidation about moving to any area with a large population of Spanish-speaking people. I've loved it in when I'm in Miami and the Cuban ladies having their "cafecito" will yack about everyone that comes into the joint...including me. I then strike up a conversation with them in about 15 minutes -- at first they are embarrassed and then they become very gracious.

However, I will have to say that immigrants that are here in small numbers (Albanians, Portuguese, Greeks, etc.) have to hurry up and assimilate without the benefit of bilingual this and that. I have yet to figure out why there is this extra accommodation for those who primarily speak Spanish, so I don't think much about it and keep on "hablando Espanol" as needed.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,320 times
Quote:

5) Very rude drivers
9) Crime - horrible
16) Too many toll roads
This is actually a good cons list, but after having living in a host of places. I've figured the pros are more numerous.
Quote:
Sigh - I've got to move!
Probably.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 PM

Signage in English! (sort of.)

Billboards in English!

Banderas americanas...I mean....American flags! And a Texas flag! No tricolores to be seen here...then again, this is downtown, not Gulfton.

Traffic's not all that bad here. Look, Ma! I'm standing in the middle of Westheimer at 5:30 on Tuesday evening taking pictures!

But yeah, traffic sucks sometimes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston