Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 8,279 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm 25 and currently live in Central Florida, I've been toying with the idea of moving to NC for years, recently I was turned on to TX by my fiancee who is from the Houston area and we plan on moving in the first quarter of 09.

I have a 2 year old daughter, work on a Ship and am gone to sea a month at a time and have 2 weeks off, my work pays for travel so I can live anywhere in the US of A, but preferably within an hour of an airport and 45 minutes away from a Mall for shopping.

I am mainly looking for friendly people, low crime, good schools, no palm trees, and a small town feel. Some pluses would include seasons, oak trees, scenery and good roads.

I've seen some great deals on beautiful houses in Missouri City for under 175k, some that would run over 500k where I live, but is there a city that might suit my situation better within 35-45 minutes of Houston? Thanks.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
No palm trees, huh? Strike the Houston area off your map. They are not native, but pretty much everywhere to be seen.

Small town feel? Maybe a town 35-40 miles from downtown. Alvin, Santa Fe, Needville, Brookshire, etc. Otherwise it will just feel like a big city's suburb.

Oak trees... plenty of those. More pines to the N and NE.

Scenery? Strike SE Texas off your map.

Seasons? We basically have 3 (no winter). Northern areas get colder than the southern, but that still doesn't constitute "winter" to most folks.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 8,279 times
After talking with the little lady, I realized I was looking in the wrong area. She mentioned North Texas as a primary place we should look. Soooo, guess that's where I should start.

Thanks for the reply.

Matt

Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,207,814 times
You might try somewhere like Porter, New Caney, or Cleveland. Small towns with major airport/malls within reasonable striking distance. If you are going to north Texas I would recommend Marshall/Longview general area. Longview has the malls, etc. and you can get to the airporrt in Shreveport or Dallas (farther away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston